Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New 787 schedule expected in 'few weeks'...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New 787 schedule expected in 'few weeks'...

Boeing Co (BA.N) said on Wednesday foreign debris likely caused the fire on a 787 Dreamliner that brought test flights to a standstill, but has not yet determined how long finding and fixing the problem will add to the plane's testing and manufacturing schedule.

Experts throughout the aviation industry have been predicting a delay since the November 9 electrical fire that led to an emergency landing in Laredo, Texas and a stop to 787 test flights. Time-frame estimates for a new delay range from a month to a few years.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20101125/bs_nm/us_boeing_1
    'Twas only a matter of time...
    Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

Well this must be extremely frustrating for Boeing. The fact that it's taking several weeks to even announce a new schedule would suggest that the delay will be substantial.

But it's an ill wind that blows no good and for Boeing's Competitors I think this is a huge chance for them to attack the market segment currently dominated by 737/A320.

Boeing appear to really have their hands full trying to get the 787, and to a lesser extent the 747-8, done. I can't see that they will be able to direct many resources to a 737 replacement in the next few years.

Airbus may (or may not) be in a bit better position to do a new A320 but they still have the A350 to get done and the A400 to finish. Plus the A380's are still arriving rather slowly and then they are going to improve the A330.

So surely a once in a lifetime golden opportunity for Chinese, Russian, Brazilian & Canadian airframers to produce an equivalent, or hopefully superior, aircraft to the 737/A320 and steal some of that market.

The Chinese and Russian projects are well under way, it will be interesting to see if Embraer or Bombadier try their luck as well in this market. Personally I hope they do, it's potentially more lucrative than making Regional Jets.

And it would add some variety at airports which currently have very familiar visitors.

Comment

Surely disappointing for Boeing. Who would have thought these many issues would arise during flight testing, as if there had been enough problems just getting to the first test flight. I believe Boeing underestimated how large the 787 program would become and much effort would actually be needed to go into the program. Surely working on the 747-8 and 737 retrofiting/replacement programs at the same time doesn't help and now these programs seemed to have been affected. Seems like they just have too much in their hands to handle, just like what tsv said.

I think they ought to put the 737 replacement on hold and focus on getting the 787 and 747-8 programs up and running. The 737 replacement can wait, it's not like we have seen large orders for the C919 & ARJ21 of Comac, the C-Series of Bombardier, the Sukhoi Superjet, and Irkut MS Series. Mostly everyone are playing the wait and see game to what Airbus and Boeing come out with and why risk so much on players new to the market.

Not to mention also how disappointing this must be for ANA and all other 787 customers, especially since its been almost 3 years of proposed first delivery. Surely cancellation orders are a possibility but it isn't like if some switch over to the A350 that they'll get them sooner; it'll be like 2018 or later before they get them. With Airbus not rulling out delays to the A350 program, not to mention that they're still dealing with A380 deliveries/engines issue and the A400M, seems like delays are inevitable. Now add the A320 NEO, wow, Airbus surely has alot to deal with. All that current 787 customers can do is either wait or get 777s or A330s.
      what ever happens......happens

Comment

Originally posted by tsv View Post
        Well this must be extremely frustrating for Boeing. The fact that it's taking several weeks to even announce a new schedule would suggest that the delay will be substantial.

But it's an ill wind that blows no good and for Boeing's Competitors I think this is a huge chance for them to attack the market segment currently dominated by 737/A320.

Boeing appear to really have their hands full trying to get the 787, and to a lesser extent the 747-8, done. I can't see that they will be able to direct many resources to a 737 replacement in the next few years.

Airbus may (or may not) be in a bit better position to do a new A320 but they still have the A350 to get done and the A400 to finish. Plus the A380's are still arriving rather slowly and then they are going to improve the A330.

So surely a once in a lifetime golden opportunity for Chinese, Russian, Brazilian & Canadian airframers to produce an equivalent, or hopefully superior, aircraft to the 737/A320 and steal some of that market.

The Chinese and Russian projects are well under way, it will be interesting to see if Embraer or Bombadier try their luck as well in this market. Personally I hope they do, it's potentially more lucrative than making Regional Jets.

And it would add some variety at airports which currently have very familiar visitors.
        Well, the Superjet got its own delays and the An-148 has had a dissappointing start with
        reliability problems.
        "The real CEO of the 787 project is named Potemkin"

Comment

Working...
        X