Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Camera - Canon 50D or 7D?

Quote Originally Posted by Richard M. A. Wood View Post
    I upgraded from the 20D to the 50D acouple of years ago. I have 2 bodies and 3 lenses (17-85), 100-400L and 600L, all of which function well. Get to know which modes work well in a particular situation, and use the histogram feature and it never disappoints!
    A solid approach, which helps you get a better photographer and improve the quality of your photos always using the same gear.

But then again ... a new toy is a new toy!

I bought the 2nd hand camera yesterday. Drove directly to Schiphol to take some pictures with the 50D and the 70-300.

In comparison with my old 350D this 50D is a lot quicker. Didn't use the histogram feature yet but this evening i have some time for reading the manual

I ended up going with the 7D. Amazon has the body only for $1506, which I think it's a good price, as bodies regularly go for ~$1700. Hopefully this will last as long as the XT did (5.5 years and still going strong).
    [SIGNATURE GOES HERE]

Felipe Garcia

JetPhotos.Net Crew

Likewise, I went with the Canon 7D aswell, finally ordered today. I figured I might as well splash out on it now so it will do for the next 4 or 5 years, rather than getting a 50D and then wanting an upgrade after around a year of use.

Dave

JPElite Member!

Default Odd man out

This may be the odd man out post, but besides Dr. Wood, no one has really concentrated on getting some quality glass up front. I still shoot with that old and antiquated (by today's standards, and some users posts here in this thread) 30D, which is 4 years old, and going strong. In fact, alot of my aviation stuff has come from this camera, because I got some quality glass first. The 300 F 2.8 IS is one of the best lenses that Canon makes,and has served me very well for just as long as the body. Two years ago, I invested in a 5D MK II, and the lenses only go to show that bodies are quite disposable, but a good piece of glass can last a very long time. I got "Prime L Fever" a long time ago, and I have had alot of fun using these lenses that I was able to acquire. Get away from the megapixel race, concentrate on the complete optical chain, and, above all...LEARN HOW TO POST PROCESS!!! 50% of what a picture is is in the post production portion.

Quote Originally Posted by twagenknecht View Post
    This may be the odd man out post, but besides Dr. Wood, no one has really concentrated on getting some quality glass up front.
    Well as Dave opened this thread and he already has quality L glass and knows very well how to process we don't really need to go into all that! In fact he's a graduate of the PMN school of processing so he definitely doesn't need "learn how to post process" shouting at him in capitals! Believe me, he knows how to process.
    Last edited by PMN; 01-05-2011 at 05:12 PM.
    Seeing the world with a 3:2 aspect ratio...

My images on Flickr

JetPhotos.Net Crew

This may be the odd man out post, but besides Dr. Wood, no one has really concentrated on getting some quality glass up front. I still shoot with that old and antiquated (by today's standards, and some users posts here in this thread) 30D, which is 4 years old, and going strong. In fact, alot of my aviation stuff has come from this camera, because I got some quality glass first. The 300 F 2.8 IS is one of the best lenses that Canon makes,and has served me very well for just as long as the body. Two years ago, I invested in a 5D MK II, and the lenses only go to show that bodies are quite disposable, but a good piece of glass can last a very long time. I got "Prime L Fever" a long time ago, and I have had alot of fun using these lenses that I was able to acquire. Get away from the megapixel race, concentrate on the complete optical chain, and, above all...LEARN HOW TO POST PROCESS!!! 50% of what a picture is is in the post production portion.
    Hey Tim, if aimed at me in particular, most of my hard earned cash as gone on my current gear. I currently own a Canon 70-400mm F4 and a Canon 100-400mm, both as you will know are L range. I even owned a Canon 300mm F4 IS prime at one point, and whilst it produced lovely tack sharp images, I could not live without the beloved range variation of the 100-400mm.

Primes are great but as you say, if you can post process properly, then with a bit of work, a Canon 100-400mm can produce similar quality stuff as a 300mm L prime in normal conditions.

The only thing lacking from my collection is a short range L glass, and hopefully at somepoint, the 17-400mm F4 IS will join my mini collection of lenses.

I should point out that after several years of being bitch slapped around by Paul when teaching me Photoshop (who's taught me around 99% of what I know), I'd like to think I know enough to get by at JP.net. My editing might not be perfect but over the past few months, I've really honed into my post processing techniques and really settled into editing 1600 pixel images.

Anyhow, as I'm happy with my lens line up and with my 40D on it's last legs, with half the shutter life gone (55,000+), the shutter button not functioning well, and the warrenty long long long expired, forgive me for choosing one of Canon's best crop factor camera's as an upgrade.

Dave

Well, I was planning on using the money to buy a 100-400L and possibly something for the wide end, like a 17-40. However, I started having serious doubts about the camera's shape, as it's nearing 50,000 shots, and it would be useless to have $2,500 worth of L lenses without a camera to use. I still have money leftover for a 70-400 f4L, which I will buy once I convince myself that my 75-300 is FUBAR and nearly impossible to use, which will probably happen this Monday.

I would have gone with the 60D if Canon had made a real 60D and not a 600D with a missing zero. I need something more resistant than a plastic body and SD cards. I know cameras are "disposable", but I still managed to do 5.5 years with my XT, up from my previous average of 1.5 years before changing cameras. I hope I get about the same use out of the 7D, but once I have decent optics (eg. a decent wide lens) I can upgrade to a a 5D2 or a used 1D-series.

I also have the 28-135, which is not L glass, but still a pretty good consumer lens for the $450ish that I paid for it
    Last edited by Felipe Garcia; 01-05-2011 at 06:24 PM.
    [SIGNATURE GOES HERE]

Felipe Garcia

JPElite Member!

Quote Originally Posted by legoguy View Post
    Hey Tim, if aimed at me in particular...
    Not at all aimed at you...just a general thought. Paul misread the intent of my post...as is often the case when rushing through and not really understanding the context. I wasn't shouting...just raising a flag to many out there that this race to get the best camera body is in most aspects futile. As far as the 100-400 lens goes, this seems to be the 'bread-and-butter lens for aviation, as it covers the range needed quite nicely without having to resort to sneaker net.

As far as old cameras go, it seems that Canon went with a more plastic body in the new line up, rather than giving the frame a more durable metal one as was the case in the past. Sad really, as this might affect the longevity of the newer models in future.

NPaul misread the intent of my post...as is often the case when rushing through and not really understanding the context.
    Well no, I didn't misread anything, I read it perfectly from start to finish but we don't really need to talk about learning to process and having nice glass because the guy who started the thread already has those. Discussing irrelevant things just confuses the issue at hand, and it really did look like you directed your post at Dave as he started the thread!

Anyway, maybe we should get back to the point, whatever that was!
    Last edited by PMN; 01-05-2011 at 07:01 PM.

My images on Flickr

Calm down, calm down peoples lol

I think Dave know's what he's doing......

[photoid=6754868]

As far as old cameras go, it seems that Canon went with a more plastic body in the new line up, rather than giving the frame a more durable metal one as was the case in the past. Sad really, as this might affect the longevity of the newer models in future.

For most consumers having a plastic body doesn't matter, but I don't expect most consumers to be taking pictures from the trunk of their SUV with the hatch/window open while driving down a dirt road, shooting pictures trackside at a rally, or anything similar to that.

Well, it seems that the new 60D (600D as some of us call it), Canon is trying to focus it to consumers who currently have a Rebel and would otherwise upgrade to a newer Rebel. The price for the 60D is $1000 or 1100 for the body, which is close to what the original Rebel and Rebel XT were new ($900 body), the 20D was ~$1500 back then.

Smart business move? yes. You can get 40D/50D owners (and even some XT/XTi owners) to upgrade to the 7D instead, and those who outgrew their Rebels to upgrade to a 60D instead of say a T3i or whatever comes next.

At least for me, the cost of upgrading to a 60D plus the cost of upgrading (or downgrading) ~32 GB of memory cards would probably be just $200 or so less than a 7D and simply keeping my memory cards.
    [SIGNATURE GOES HERE]

Felipe Garcia

JetPhotos.Net Crew

Not at all aimed at you...just a general thought.
    It's all good!

Quote Originally Posted by PMN View Post
    Anyway, maybe we should get back to the point, whatever that was!
    I think most, if not all of the people in this thread who requested information on the camera type know the basics and what is required. However if there are other amateur photographers out there thinking of upgrading in an attempt to get generally better images, then...

just raising a flag to many out there that this race to get the best camera body is in most aspects futile.
    It should be probably be pointed out that whilst the photographer is one of the main components in photography, a good solid sharp lens is more preferable than a top of the range camera. As I have read here many times before, as it's hammered into us constantly, it's the glass infront of the camera that counts.

Lastly...

Quote Originally Posted by B7772ADL View Post
    I think Dave know's what he's doing......
    Thanks James for the vote of confidence

Dave

Dave, if your camera is in that state after just 55k acutations then i have to ask just what your doing with it?! lol. I still have my 10D which i got in 2003 and that thing has taken at least 150k acutation, maybe even 200k and while it's got a few scratches it still works flawlessly.

Nice work on the 7D! It's a great camera, i just think i didn't warm to it as much as i'm used to my 5D2. Look forward to seeing some new stuff from you with it!

I agree a lot with Tim, good glass is very important! Until Jan 2009 i was still shooting with my 1D2 which i'd got in late 04 and was already 6 months old then. But my glass was good quality and the pics were coming out great.

For uploading to here a 20D would still be perfectly adequate in good light with good glass and good processing!

Oh and i agree with Rowson, that KLM MD tail is lovely!
    Chris Sharps
    5D3 | 5D2 | 7D | 1D2 | 10D | 400D | 1V | 3
    17-40F4L | 24-105F4LIS | 70-200F2.8LIS | 100-400LIS
    24F1.4L II | 50F1.2L | 85F1.2L II | 15F2.8 Fisheye | 50F1.4 | 100F2.8 Macro
    1.4x | 550EX x2

Fuji X100

How many pics are you guys taking? My D100 from 2004 is at 18500, the D200 is at 9000 the D300 at 3300.

Quote Originally Posted by seahawk View Post
    How many pics are you guys taking? My D100 from 2004 is at 18500, the D200 is at 9000 the D300 at 3300.
    I don't just shoot aviation Stefan. Throughout uni i was shooting every event for the uni, every sports event and was turning over 4/5k frames a week. I also shoot a lot of motorsport in my spare time and that involves a lot of wastage through burst shooting. If you factor in travel, aviation, my uni work it's self and all the other stuff i shoot pics off it adds up.

My 1D2 is well above 500k acutations and still going strong.
    Chris Sharps
    1.4x | 550EX x2

Fuji X100

My 40D (2007) is at 17'000, my 20D (2005?) is at 10'000.

Quote Originally Posted by chris78cpr View Post
    I don't just shoot aviation Stefan. Throughout uni i was shooting every event for the uni, every sports event and was turning over 4/5k frames a week. I also shoot a lot of motorsport in my spare time and that involves a lot of wastage through burst shooting. If you factor in travel, aviation, my uni work it's self and all the other stuff i shoot pics off it adds up.

I do not shoot aviation only either. But even if I add the Coolpix for holidays I hardly reach 5000 pics a year. The most clicks must have been on my mobile which I use for work. (I just have to document things, it does not have to look nice)

Quote Originally Posted by seahawk View Post
    I do not shoot aviation only either. But even if I add the Coolpix for holidays I hardly reach 5000 pics a year. The most clicks must have been on my mobile which I use for work. (I just have to document things, it does not have to look nice)
    Ahh ok.

Yeah during uni i was going through 200k a year at least. it was a bugger to have to process them all, a lot ended up being batched!
    Chris Sharps
    1.4x | 550EX x2

Fuji X100

Quote Originally Posted by chris78cpr View Post
    That's fine if you're actually using it properly, it's the guys with similar cameras in hyper-drive mode that take 30 frames of each passing aircraft that make me giggle!

My images on Flickr