Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: New Camera - Canon 50D or 7D?

JetPhotos.Net Crew

Quote Originally Posted by chris78cpr View Post
    Dave, if your camera is in that state after just 55k acutations then i have to ask just what your doing with it?! lol. I still have my 10D which i got in 2003 and that thing has taken at least 150k acutation, maybe even 200k and while it's got a few scratches it still works flawlessly.

Nice work on the 7D! It's a great camera, i just think i didn't warm to it as much as i'm used to my 5D2. Look forward to seeing some new stuff from you with it!

I agree a lot with Tim, good glass is very important! Until Jan 2009 i was still shooting with my 1D2 which i'd got in late 04 and was already 6 months old then. But my glass was good quality and the pics were coming out great.

For uploading to here a 20D would still be perfectly adequate in good light with good glass and good processing!

Oh and i agree with Rowson, that KLM MD tail is lovely!
    Thanks Chris! I got the 7D last night at 8.30pm, courtesy of DHL.

The 40D is rated to last 100,000 actuations I believe, so a bit of life left in it yet, although should I be a way on a spotting trip and the shutter died, I'd probably die myself! Also I think theres a known shutter release button issue with the 30/40D at least where the surface contacts of the button wear away... or something along those lines. Either way, very frustrating to be following an aircaft and clicking the button, only to find no picture taken. Pressing the shutter with a lot of force sometimes took the photo, but then led to camera shake, especially on my last two trips with the camera.

I must admit, I'm still in love with the 40D so if I get the shutter release button repaired, I'll hopefully retain it as a spare.

I was playing around with the 7D last night and there was quite a bit of variation in exposure when using the same settings between the 40D and 7D so that'll take a little time getting used to. And also the larger image size changes things abit as I always did most of my editing before resizing.

Anyway, I look forward to trying out the 7D within the next few weeks. I'm across in Manchester next Wednesday for a night and the weather at the moment looks like it'll be terrible so will maybe give the ISO performance abit of a test.

Dave

JPElite Member!

Quote Originally Posted by PMN View Post
    That's fine if you're actually using it properly, it's the guys with similar cameras in hyper-drive mode that take 30 frames of each passing aircraft that make me giggle!
    We call them Hollywood shooters here in LA...see them all day long on the 'hill'. Makin' movies...

I'm at 48000 with my 2005 XT, but I have used it to shoot trips, trucks, family gatherings, etc. And the count would probably be a few thousand more if I hadn't borrowed the family P&S so often.
    [SIGNATURE GOES HERE]

Felipe Garcia

Quote Originally Posted by legoguy View Post
    Thanks Chris! I got the 7D last night at 8.30pm, courtesy of DHL.

The 40D is rated to last 100,000 actuations I believe, so a bit of life left in it yet, although should I be a way on a spotting trip and the shutter died, I'd probably die myself! Also I think theres a known shutter release button issue with the 30/40D at least where the surface contacts of the button wear away... or something along those lines. Either way, very frustrating to be following an aircaft and clicking the button, only to find no picture taken. Pressing the shutter with a lot of force sometimes took the photo, but then led to camera shake, especially on my last two trips with the camera.

I must admit, I'm still in love with the 40D so if I get the shutter release button repaired, I'll hopefully retain it as a spare.

I was playing around with the 7D last night and there was quite a bit of variation in exposure when using the same settings between the 40D and 7D so that'll take a little time getting used to. And also the larger image size changes things abit as I always did most of my editing before resizing.

Anyway, I look forward to trying out the 7D within the next few weeks. I'm across in Manchester next Wednesday for a night and the weather at the moment looks like it'll be terrible so will maybe give the ISO performance abit of a test.

Dave
    Yeah if you can get it fixed it's deffo worth keeping as a backup! Its a great camera!

Yeah the exposure variance with the 7D is a bastard! But you get used to it. My best advice if your in constant light or with very minor changes take a good meter reading and then shoot manual and just use the wheel to go up or down a 1/3 or 2/3 depending on how the light changes. I find that a much more successful way of shooting with the 7D. Consistent.

Also i'd er on the side of overexposing your image, shoot so that the highlights are properly exposed to try and avoid the underexposure that introduces noise in the sky on the 7D. It's one of my pet peeves and i find over exposing by a 1/3 works wonders sometimes.

Despite the file size of your 7D I'd still recommend doing your editing before resizing. I always do all my editing o the full size files so i can keep a large copy in case of a sale and i then don't have to do the editing again unless it's for large output.

If you need any help with the camera then i'm sure myself, Rowson or any of the other 7D shooters will be happy to help! Enjoy the new camera!!!
    Chris Sharps
    5D3 | 5D2 | 7D | 1D2 | 10D | 400D | 1V | 3
    17-40F4L | 24-105F4LIS | 70-200F2.8LIS | 100-400LIS
    24F1.4L II | 50F1.2L | 85F1.2L II | 15F2.8 Fisheye | 50F1.4 | 100F2.8 Macro
    1.4x | 550EX x2

Fuji X100

Quote Originally Posted by PMN View Post
    That's fine if you're actually using it properly, it's the guys with similar cameras in hyper-drive mode that take 30 frames of each passing aircraft that make me giggle!
    I do yes, buffer shooting for aviation is limited to panning when i need the high rate for hopefully some success! and also if it's something very special that i'm after. I'll be honest when i finally caught the dreamliner from China Airlines in LAX last year i did burn off 20 odd frames from Imperial. lol. I could not risk that i didn't get a shot of it!
    Chris Sharps
    5D3 | 5D2 | 7D | 1D2 | 10D | 400D | 1V | 3
    17-40F4L | 24-105F4LIS | 70-200F2.8LIS | 100-400LIS
    24F1.4L II | 50F1.2L | 85F1.2L II | 15F2.8 Fisheye | 50F1.4 | 100F2.8 Macro
    1.4x | 550EX x2

Fuji X100

I'll be honest when i finally caught the dreamliner from China Airlines in LAX last year i did burn off 20 odd frames from Imperial. lol. I could not risk that i didn't get a shot of it!
    To be fair we've all done it for the occasional special aircraft, still doesn't stop me usually screwing it up though!
    Seeing the world with a 3:2 aspect ratio...

My images on Flickr

I used my 50D for the first time last sunday and it's really though to make just one picture when "high speed continuous" is selected

Does it not have a lower seting. I think I took my D300 out of the 3FPS setting once or twice.

Yes it has, the higher setting is 6,3 fps. The lower setting is 3 fps.

JetPhotos.Net Crew

If you need any help with the camera then i'm sure myself, Rowson or any of the other 7D shooters will be happy to help! Enjoy the new camera!!!
    Thanks, I will be sure to take you up on that! I'm just trying to figure out the basic settings for aviation photography. With my 40D, I only shot jpeg and had all the incamera editing (sharpening, contast, noise reduction, etc) set to zero so I think I'll probably do the same with the 7D. Is that what you guys have set?

As for the focusing point, I often only used the centre point for focusing on the 40D, so either centre point again or AF point expansion seems like the way to go for the 7D. I can imagine the AF point expansion mode would be pretty handy at airshows and for any aircraft in flight.

We shall see how things get on!

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by legoguy View Post
    Thanks, I will be sure to take you up on that! I'm just trying to figure out the basic settings for aviation photography. With my 40D, I only shot jpeg and had all the incamera editing (sharpening, contast, noise reduction, etc) set to zero so I think I'll probably do the same with the 7D. Is that what you guys have set?

As for the focusing point, I often only used the centre point for focusing on the 40D, so either centre point again or AF point expansion seems like the way to go for the 7D. I can imagine the AF point expansion mode would be pretty handy at airshows and for any aircraft in flight.

We shall see how things get on!

Dave

My pic styles are all set to 0 except sharpening which is set to +1, but I think I'm going to set this at 0 too for my next session and see what the difference is.

As for AF point, i did originally set at all points but it was picking up things I didn't want it to focus on, so I've set it to centre point and have been happy with that. Might give that expansion a go next time too.