A 767 with a taxi camera??....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A 767 with a taxi camera??....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYZN5lgdkUU 767's aren't big enough to need these, AFIK-would ANA have any other reason to install any "outboard" camera??

What do you mean they're not big enough to need them?

Why does size define the need for a camera?

There are plenty of gate areas and taxiways that are limited to not above a 767, and therefore their wingtip clearance is less than that of say a 747 operating in its usual areas.

Also, on a 747, a pilot can see the wingtip from the cockpit if he strains his head around. On a 767 you can't see it at all.

Geometry and operations should define when you need a camera (and personally I think they should be standard on all new aircraft), not pure size.

Comment

I think you'll find that the camera here is more for passenger entertainment than anything else. Etihad have nose cameras on their fleet viewable through the IFE system as do other airlines. Some also have downwards facing cameras as well I believe.
      If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

I can't imagine an airline installing a nosegear camera for passenger entertainment. Very expensive exercise for 5 minutes of looking at taxiway!

I'm sure it doubles as one - but a nosegear camera is a great tool for a pilot manoeuvring in tight areas where strict adherence to the centreline is needed for wingtip clearance.

ANA might be different though...

Comment

Originally posted by MCM View Post
          .......... a nosegear camera .............
          The camera was not on the nose landing gear - the gear would have up long before the video ended.

Comment

why don't they broadcast these videos feeds back to the internet, like a pay per view for extra revenue. I'd sign up for sure!

Comment

Originally posted by MCM View Post
              I can't imagine an airline installing a nosegear camera for passenger entertainment. Very expensive exercise for 5 minutes of looking at taxiway!

I'm sure it doubles as one - but a nosegear camera is a great tool for a pilot manoeuvring in tight areas where strict adherence to the centreline is needed for wingtip clearance.

ANA might be different though...
              The Etihad forward camera view was available on the IFE screen for the entire flight so it's definitely not a nosegear camera. Saw an astonishing sunrise view on it on the way to Bangkok.
              If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

I was under the impression that it was a nosegear camera from the image, however it certainly looks like it is not.

It looks like the view from the very front of the cockpit "Dashboard" if you like. I know my airline has put cameras there for special occasion flights, and the cockpits have wiring to allow for it - so I assume it is somewhere down around there.

Great idea to let the passengers see... as long as they don't get too worried by what they see :P

Comment

I think a cockpit cam would be a great idea, so the pax could see the crew in action, (and also see if they have fallen asleep).

Comment

Originally posted by Evan View Post
                    I think a cockpit cam would be a great idea, so the pax could see the crew in action, (and also see if they have fallen asleep).
                    American Airlines did do this on their DC-10's in the 1970's. During taxi, take-off, and landing, the view screens throughout the cabin showed a view from a camera in the flight deck looking out the windows.

The DC-10 crash in Chicago in 1979 put an end to it.

Comment

Working...
                    X