X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pet peeves about airline travel

What are yours?

I do not have many but two are:
    • A person with very long hair flipping it over the back of their seat so it dangles into my magazine or coffee.
    • When deplaning the person who blocks the aisle putting on their coat and unloading all their carry-ons (what happened to the "two' limitation.

Both happened to me on Sunday.

I had a lady do the hair thing and I asked politely for her to please remove her hair. She used language unbecoming of a lady. The problem was solved when the passenger in the middle seat (elderly lady) needed to get up to the bathroom and as she was moving into the aisle used the dangling hair as a support....well she pulled it....hard. When the screaming stopped the elderly lady said to the hair lady. "You were asked, now do as you are asked".

It made my day.
    Flying is the second greatest thrill known to man. Landing is first.

Comment

My biggest one is being forced to close all windows. Hence missing the great views outside !

My worst experience with this was on a BA flight from PHX to LHR, I was peeking out of the window out during sunset and then suddenly without warning the flight attendant reached across with a pole and slammed the window shut. WTF !!

In the USA, going through security is always a fun experience.

Comment

Originally posted by saupatel View Post
        My worst experience with this was on a BA flight from PHX to LHR, I was peeking out of the window out during sunset and then suddenly without warning the flight attendant reached across with a pole and slammed the window shut. WTF !!
        If that happened to me I would file a formal complaint with the airline, I paid for the ticket, I'm not getting a free ride, so I deserve some respect.

I think they should have a window-open cabin somewhere (like around the wings or something) where there is no restriction on closing the windows.

For me it's people traveling with pets, I don't like dogs. I hate being covered in dog hair, being licked and sniffed with a wet nose, I can be near dogs for a bit but that's it, plus, prolonged exposures might trigger my hay fever (just like it happens if I second-hand smoke half a pack of cigarettes withing a short period of time). There's people who pull the dogs out of the cage and start playing with them and what not, on longer flights I like to pull out my computer and do something, and I wouldn't feel comfortable doing that next to a dog.

That and kids being annoying. I was a kid not long ago, but my parents never allowed me (or my brother) to run down the airplane aisles, kick seats, start yelling, etc. Really, it isn't difficult to use a coloring book, play with a PSP/GameBoy/DS/etc or a phone (and seems like every 10 year old has a Blackberry or iPhone nowadays).

Luckily both of those can be avoided by traveling on an exit row, as it's not allowed to keep cargo under the seat in front of you (dogs) or have kids there.

Don't really care about excessive luggage anymore (unless I can't fit all of my bags due to traveling in an exit seat, but I travel light), the reality is that after living in/traveling to Panama for 4 years you get used to that (it's worse if you're flying between PTY and Jamaica).

And one that's more of a nuisance but still annoying is when F/As give the wrong immigration forms, happened to me once or twice, once they were giving out the green I-94W (for Visa Waiver Program nationals) to those who had visas (to the US) and the white I-94 to VWP nationals, I was traveling with a school group and was able to tell a few of my friends of that, and I had to insist the F/A that I NEEDED an I-94, not an I-94W. The teacher who was in charge of us also insisted that the forms were wrong but the F/A refused to listen and kept giving out the wrong forms. Really, when you're a frequent traveler you know what forms you need (I even take extras to fill out before hand on the next trip). And this was on a Delta flight

That and when they run out of English forms, for some reason they seem to always have too many written in the local language but the English ones are always gone, I've had to help people several times to fill out Panamanian or Mexican forms because they're in Spanish (and sometimes they've needed to request the right form, as they were, erroneously, given a wrong form)

I'm definitely one grumpy 20 year old.
        [SIGNATURE GOES HERE]

Felipe Garcia

Comment

People who sit in front of me, recline their seat during a meal service and when I ask them politely to raise their seat for the duration of the meal they tell me " I'm not eating, I'm dozing/sleeping/being an asshole"
          Even worse is the FA who won't tell the passenger above to raise their seat during the meal service.

Amazing how a few knee thumps in the seat back tends to work !!!

People who lean or put their hands on the head rest of my seat when I'm unlucky enough to be by a toilet area. Sharp fingernails run across the back of the offending hand tends to work well !!
          Last edited by brianw999; 2010-12-30, 16:26.
          If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

I'm not eating, I'm dozing/sleeping/being an asshole
            http://www.MD-80.com / MD-80.com on facebook https://www.facebook.com/MD80com / MD-80.com on Twitter: https://twitter.com/MD80com

Comment

The worst are the people who think it all revolves around them. They board, see their friend 20 rows forward, block the aisle and chit chat while pax are lined in the jetway, then get hostile to anyone who tells them to keep moving. These same people who are trying to sleep on your 3PM flight, reach behind them and shut YOUR window shade because the light is keeping them up. These people who stuff their carry-on under your seat and ignore you when you complain. These people who get their carry-on in the jetway when coming off an RJ, then block the door so the rampers can't grab anyone elses carry-ons while they make sure everything is still in their bag, put on their hat and jacket, and stretch.

Yeah. I hate those poeple.
              sigpic
              http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=170

Comment

Originally posted by Highkeas View Post
                [*]When deplaning the person who blocks the aisle putting on their coat and unloading all their carry-ons (what happened to the "two' limitation.
                That's funny, because one of my peeves is the impatient person who gets all bent if it takes me an extra 30 seconds to get my bag down and put my coat on. You've been on a plane for hours. What's another 30 seconds? Relax, the plane is not on fire and life will not pass you by.

If I have a window seat, I often will sit and wait until the plane has emptied out, enjoying the comfort of my seat while everyone does their robotic stop and go conga line in front of me, and then leave with some dignity. The exception to this is if I am on a large flight and have to get through customs. Then you are cattle anyway.

The other thing is people who won't allow me to recline my seat when there is no meal service (often fat euro-rednecks). They will push or knee the seat back rather than ask you politely. I need to sleep, I paid for a reclining seat and I am going to recline in it. I suggest you do the same. Again, grow up and learn to relax.

Comment

Working...
                X