Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hybrid Technology

BBC News Link for those that can access it:

Imagine this: a flying machine that can cruise in the air for three weeks without landing. It does not need a runway and can land anywhere and on any surface.

All our final decisions are made in a state of mind that is not going to last (Marcel Proust)

What a fascinating concept! If they do manage to build one 1000 feet in length then it would be around 194 feet longer than the Hindenburg. Impressive!
    Seeing the world with a 3:2 aspect ratio...

My images on Flickr

Comment

I'm not being dismissive but this is not breaking news. Chris Barry covered it in his programme a couple of years back. Also, what would it's top speed be? somewhere in the 150-200kt range? Our air travel seems to be getting slower as the years advance! maybe when we run out of oil, airships will be the only way to get around using high altitude jetstreams to cross the oceans but I won't hold my breath.

Comment

Assuming you could create a turbine powered airship/lifting body, what limits the airspeed that one can achieve? Drag? Material strength? Deformation?

Comment

Originally posted by Evan View Post
          Assuming you could create a turbine powered airship/lifting body, what limits the airspeed that one can achieve? Drag? Material strength? Deformation?
          Frontal area would be the main factor. I'm sure you could make them go as fast as you wanted (within reason) but it'll always be a trade-off between speed/cost/range.

Comment

Working...
          X