Indigo orders 180 A320s - largest jet order in aviation history

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indigo orders 180 A320s - largest jet order in aviation history

Good news for Airbus. India's largest low-cost operator has ordered 180 A320s and also became the launch customer for the A320neo.

Seems like Indigo is doing well. It has been increasing frequencies and adding flights domestically, linking some smaller cities with the main hubs (DEL and BOM). However, is this order on top of the 100 320s it already has on order? If so, I think this is a bit of an overkill on 320s for the Indian market.

Comment

yikes i would call that overkill for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Foxtrot View Post
        Seems like Indigo is doing well. It has been increasing frequencies and adding flights domestically, linking some smaller cities with the main hubs (DEL and BOM). However, is this order on top of the 100 320s it already has on order? If so, I think this is a bit of an overkill on 320s for the Indian market.
        yep this order is an extra order on top of their already 100 ordered A320's

Comment

Sounds like overkill just about anywhere.

Comment

That's a huge market. There are 82 airports in India capable of commercial service (unsure about domestic jet capability) and a population of 1.2 billion. But just to illustrate the scale, if they expanded to serve all 82 destinations, a fleet of 280 jets would divide to 3.5 per destination. Is that overkill for a low cost carrier?

Comment

Good Job and good luck. It's a good move and it will be more jobs for people that work for Airbus!

Comment

$15.6 Billion not bad, on top of their previous order, will be interesting how Spicejet and everyone else reacts. One heck of a way of Indigo to announce its plans to be a major force to deal with.

what ever happens......happens

Comment

Would A380's work well in a 900+ configuration on domestic routes, 20-200 minute flights for example in India/Japan/South Korea/China/Brazil/Indonesia/Australia/South Africa.

I undertand all of the stuff about you will need 2/3 extra emergency exits, more cabin crew, short runways, weight, bla bla bla.

Now, please correct me if i am wrong but i beleive GOL's 737's have different flaps, winglets, brakes and stuff for SDU????? well Airbus could like the double bogie A320's:

so my full idea for Airbus for Indian carriers is:

*Landing Gear, They could give each of the A380's main gear 4 bogies (if i have made that up what i mean is) 8 wheels on each main gear leg (34 wheels in total) to spread the weight.

*The main gear could also turn to make sharp turns much easier and to releive pressure on the runway/taxiway surface, also more powerful brakes for short runways.

*Stronger gear legs (all gear) for unprepared surfaces.

*New flaps, the aircraft could have a new set of flaps that (this is going to sound babyish) could scoop down more to produce more lift for shorter runways.

*Engines, the engines could be moved in a bit, inner 1m, outer, 1.5m, so that they don't hang over the side of the runway so much for the below reasons.

*All 4 engines could have reverse thrust for, can you guess, short runways and the engines could be made more powerful (somehow) for, SHORT RUNWAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*Weight, because the aircraft will only operate short routes of less that 3 hours (4 at the very most) all of the centre and auxillary fuel tanks could be removed to reduce weight, some galleys could be removed too.

*Space, to increase space some lavatories and the few remaining galleys (apart from the upstairs galleys, all lavatories downstairs) could be put below the lower deck in the hold, like on LH.

Well, it could work.

Comment

Originally posted by EKA380 View Post
                    Would A380's work well in a 900+ configuration on domestic routes, 20-200 minute flights for example in India/Japan/South Korea/China/Brazil/Indonesia/Australia/South Africa.
                    I wonder if there's any real need to make such dramatic changes? The country that has the most internal traffic in that list is probably Japan, and domestically configured 777's and 747's hop around quite happily there. I also wonder whether using higher capacity planes and running routes less frequently would do more harm than good. Flying domestically in Japan is like hopping on and off a bus (just a very large bus), so maybe 'smaller' aircraft like those currently operating and the frequencies they operate at is the best option?
                    Seeing the world with a 3:2 aspect ratio...

My images on Flickr

Comment

Great decision by Airbus to offer the A320NEO. There would seem to be little incentive for Airlines to order 737's anymore other than Fleet Commonality and (possibly) Faster Delivery Schedules. Boeing needs to respond to this situation fairly quickly and I'm sure they will.

I have no idea whether Indigo needs 280 A320's but if they can't use them themselves I think they will be able to on-sell them fairly easily.

Comment

Working...
                      X