QF to DFW in May

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• QF to DFW in May

I got pretty excited when I read about this on the other site. Being a Texan myself and growing up south of the Metroplex, I've always flew out of and really love DFW. It'll be awesome to see the kangaroo grace terminal D. Looks like I'll make sure to fly through there whenever I can.

Qantas today announced it will launch direct services from Sydney to Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport (DFW) from 16 May 2011, giving Australians unprecedented access to destinations across the United States.

The route will see Qantas operate direct outbound flights from Sydney to DFW (as QF7), returning to Sydney via Brisbane (as QF8 ). DFW is the primary hub of Qantas' fellow oneworld alliance member, American Airlines, and the two carriers will soon seek to expand their commercial relationship.

Qantas will offer four return flights to DFW each week, featuring a three-class Boeing 747 aircraft. Direct Sydney-San Francisco (SFO) services will be discontinued on 14 May 2011, but SFO will remain part of Qantas' network as a codeshare destination.

Qantas Chief Executive Officer, Mr Alan Joyce, said DFW will be an excellent addition to the Qantas network and enable Qantas to strengthen its relationship with American Airlines.

"This new service is great news for both Australian and American travellers," Mr Joyce said. "It will connect Qantas customers to one of the USA's major hub airports, benefitting both business and leisure travellers. Flying to DFW is an important step for Qantas as we expand and improve our international services."

DFW is the fourth-largest and fastest-growing metropolitan area in the United States and an important centre of business and tourism. It welcomed over 56 million passengers in 2009, with 59 per cent of those passengers continuing onward to other destinations.

Too bad they dumped SFO.

I guess the one stop back to SYD via BNE isn't too bad. Depends on whether all passengers will clear Australian Customs and Immigration in BNE or SYD.
    Flying is the second greatest thrill known to man. Landing is first.

Comment

Originally posted by ACheck View Post
      Too bad they dumped SFO.

I guess the one stop back to SYD via BNE isn't too bad. Depends on whether all passengers will clear Australian Customs and Immigration in BNE or SYD.
      Qantas same flight transit passengers in Australia do not have to clear customs and immigration, just security.

Comment

Do Passengers traveling from BNE to DFW board a domestic flight in BNE and then change terminals in SYD or will the flight commence at the International Terminal in BNE?

I guess this flight will tell us a lot about how well the Hub concept works. The daily O & D traffic between SYD & DFW wouldn't fill half a Regional Jet so the success of the flight depends almost entirely on Connecting Traffic. I think it's a pretty bold move by QF for several reasons;

- they don't have the right aircraft at the moment - the 747 doesn't have enough range, has too much capacity and is a Fuel Guzzler
        - flight will likely carry weight penalties anytime there is adverse weather. May even need tech stops from time to time to refuel
        - 4 Services a week is not great frequency for a route relying on Hub concept. If flight survives long enough to go daily this will make it much more appealing, especially for Business Travellers
        - US economy is weak and likely too worsen with increasing debt burden, future demand for Business travel is highly uncertain
        - strong Aussie Dollar will limit inbound Tourism demand at least in short to medium term
        - outbound tourism demand to DFW is negligible, most popular US destinations already well served from LAX

So I think it's going to be extremely hard for them to turn a profit on this route but they're probably prepared to sustain losses until the 787 arrives. Will be fascinating to see how well this one performs.

Comment

Seeing as how CX is also looking at DFW as far as new U.S. gateways are concerned I think it's more about OneWorld cooperation than anything else.

And I still don't get why the media doesn't understand the difference between direct and nonstop. I guess it never will.

Comment

Here is the posting on Air Transport World. January 17th.

Oneworld partners Qantas and American Airlines are to strengthen their longstanding relationship with the first step being the introduction by Qantas of four times weekly Boeing 747-400 service from Sydney to Dallas/Fort Worth International from May 16. At the same time the airline has decided to scrap its daily Sydney-San Francisco flights from May 14.
            With the announcement, QF said the two airlines will “soon seek to expand their commercial relationship,” including a substantial increase in codesharing and greater cooperation in scheduling, capacity and pricing, pending approval from the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission "and other relevant authorities." The new SYD-DFW service will be operated nonstop outbound but will stop at Brisbane on the return leg owing to range issues.
            The move occurs against a background of growing competition in the US-Australia market, with Delta Air Lines seeking to implement an antitrust immunized agreement with Virgin Blue, which is already in partnership with Air New Zealand.
            According to Qantas, the “enhanced commercial agreement ... will involve coordination of operations between Australia/New Zealand and the US and deliver considerable benefits for Australian and US consumers.”
            With the new DFW service, Qantas will codeshare to 13 new US destinations and three Mexican destinations lifting the number of destinations in the US, Canada and Mexico served via AA codeshare to 51.
            AA Chairman and CEO Gerard Arpey said “An expanded relationship and deeper commercial cooperation with the premier Australian carrier will benefit consumers, the employees, shareholders and financial supporters of both airlines and will greatly enhance the services offered to passengers by oneworld carriers.”
            Flying is the second greatest thrill known to man. Landing is first.

Comment

Working...
            X