Boeing awarded $35 billion dollar tanker order

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boeing awarded $35 billion dollar tanker order

ST. LOUIS, Feb. 24, 2011 -- The Boeing Company [NYSE: BA] has received a contract from the U.S. Air Force to build the next-generation aerial refueling tanker aircraft that will replace 179 of the...

Great news for Boeing!
    August 29th will be the worst day of the year.

Congrats to Boeing. Will be interesting to see what Airbus has to say, the side I actually chose last time the competition was held, and how the tides have turn. Don't think this decision this time around will be appealed, think the Air Force just want to be done with this for good. Definitly now a lot of things on Boeing's plate to handle: 767 Tanker (hopefully no delays), 787, 747-8, 773, and 737 replacement.
    what ever happens......happens

Comment

No suprise,

America will choose American Boeing even if it was much worse than European Airbus. But good to see that they choose for Boeing.
      Once maintained: CS-TTQ, OO-SFM,SFN,SFO,SFV,SFW,VEK, VES, VEH, VEX, VEN, OO-TCI,J,O,R,P,H,N. F-GYAI, F-HCAO, F-GPEJ, F-GPEK, F-GSTS, F-GSTR, LX-N20199, OO-TNG

Have a nice flight!

Juul

My pictures on Jetphotos.net

Comment

So it IS true then....cheats always win !!
        If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Of course the USA is not going to by Airbus

What was EADS even thinking? From the company that brought you the about to be canceled A400M to replace the C130, except it can't lift as much. Love those props though.

Comment

Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
            So it IS true then....cheats always win !!
            I think you misread. Airbus did NOT win.

Comment

Originally posted by Juulke View Post
              No suprise,

America will choose American Boeing even if it was much worse than European Airbus. But good to see that they choose for Boeing.
              America (specifically the Air Force) chose the product that best suited their needs and was financially feasible. That makes it better than "European Airbus".

Comment

Originally posted by ptwtanks View Post
                What was EADS even thinking? From the company that brought you the about to be canceled A400M to replace the C130, except it can't lift as much. Love those props though.

Correct me if i am wrong but the A400 is pitched between the C130 and the C-17 so how can it carry less than the Herc???????

Comment

Originally posted by the dave View Post
                  I think you misread. Airbus did NOT win.

Well DAVE, its not Airbus that have been found guilty of receiving illegal subsides from Uncle Sam! That is the World Trade Organisation findings.
                  Even down to the local government in Seattle, they just keep pouring money into Boeing, keeping it afloat. It was inevitable that Boeing was going to win eventually, the powers that be would have kept appealing the decisions until Boeing won it.

Oh well, USAF will get an out of date tanker, oh well nothing new there then! Shame the A330 would have been just the ticket for capability and jobs in the USA

C is for corruption

Comment

Yes, Airbus has not received any subsidies from European governments.

And if Airbus' product would have been just the ticket, then they would have been awarded the contract. Alas, they were, and are, not. The brand new tankers the USAF will get will match what they are looking for at the price they are willing to pay.

Comment

I like how all the people who think this was won through cheating are from Europe and those who think its all fair and good are from America. ( as far as I can tell)

I'll jump on that boat, congrats Boeing, its better that way for us and even helps my states economy which I'm all for. Not France or the EU.

Now if it was Airbus that won in the end all you people from Europe would be applauding probably even though Airbus are most likely guilty of the same things.

The point is, this is all about being patriotic and not as much about what the better product really is (i'm not saying one is better than the other in this case because I am no expert (shock and awe) on how each plane is expected to perform compared to one another). It is all a bias based responses in this thread pretty much I think. Even look at thread starters name , BoeingKing777.

If I am wrong, well there's always a hint of truth left in what I said I think anyway. Heck, even I am guilty for being biased as you have already observed. Biased toward my homeland and state's company.

Now someone from someplace else besides America and Europe needs to shed light on this, an outside view, but I guess even they can be biased just as much. Or an American who disagrees with their fellow kin, or a European who disagrees with their fellow kin. I'm sorry if you people in Europe don't want to be lumped together as one, but that is the way this issue seems to be divided clearly regardless of what country you live in.

Comment

So, correct me if im wrong, but isnt this the contract which Airbus won, and then Boeing had a big bitch about because they lost?

I have zero doubt that there was a lot of pressure put on to buy Boeing because its local, and i have zero doubt that the opposite will happen if a European air force decides to buy a new tanker.

In this economic climate, gone are the days of buying the best product for your needs.
                        Sam Rudge
                        A 5D3, some Canon lenses, the Sigma L and a flash

Comment

Originally posted by landing-gear View Post
                          Well DAVE, its not Airbus that have been found guilty of receiving illegal subsides from Uncle Sam! That is the World Trade Organisation findings.
                          Even down to the local government in Seattle, they just keep pouring money into Boeing, keeping it afloat. It was inevitable that Boeing was going to win eventually, the powers that be would have kept appealing the decisions until Boeing won it.

Oh well, USAF will get an out of date tanker, oh well nothing new there then! Shame the A330 would have been just the ticket for capability and jobs in the USA

C is for corruption
                          Its not an out of date tanker. Its a new and improved 767, and 767s are some of the best planes out there.

BTW KEG why was my name in bold??

Comment

Yeah why was your name bold there BoeingKing77

Back to the matter at hand, in the end, both sides (Airbus & Boeing), which ever way you see it, were found apparently to have used/gain subsidies from their respectivr govt(s), what else is new, and I'm not surprised. Although it did seem like Airbus had a chance during this 3rd competition, deep down, it was obvious that Boeing would win anyway. Not to mention the whole "being built in the U.S. and American made vs European made", obviously had an effect in who won. I believe the Air Force and the Pentagon would have gotten plenty of flack if they chose Airbus. If the UK let say had an open competition for their future tankers, obviosly Airbus probably would have been the favorite; an european country not choosing an european manufacturer, that would have looked bad. I just hope with all this time spent on deciding who was going to win that Boeing has a plan down on what they going to do and not end up like the 747-8 and 787.
                            what ever happens......happens

Comment

Are you being sarcastic eric? cause it sounds like you are

Comment

Working...
                              X