No announcement yet.

NASA Space Shuttles In Museums

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

B753, interesting news, I didnt know that. Well, two more missions to look forward too...
    "The real CEO of the 787 project is named Potemkin"

Comment

Shuttles Going To Florida, Virginia, LA

Apr 12, 2011

The three retiring U.S. space shuttles will be going on display at museums in Florida, California and Virginia, the NASA space agency said on Tuesday.
      Museums around the nation competed for the aging shuttles, which are being retired due to high operating costs and to free up funds for a new generation of spacecraft that can fly farther from Earth.

“Take good care of our vehicles. They have served the nation well,” NASA Administrator Charlie Bolden said.
      The shuttle Atlantis, which is being prepared for the 30-year-old shuttle program’s 135th and final flight this summer, will stay in Florida, roosting at the Kennedy Space Center Visitor Center.

Endeavour, which is now at the launch pad for its final liftoff on April 29, is promised to the California Science Center in Los Angeles.

And Discovery, which completed its final mission last month, will go to the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum’s Udvar-Hazy Center in northern Virginia.
      The Smithsonian also will transfer the shuttle prototype Enterprise to the Intrepid Sea, Air and Space Museum in New York City.

http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/gener...dline=Shuttles Going To Florida, Virginia, LA&channel=space

Smithsonian: no surprise at all

KSC: kinda of a not surprise but makes sense

LA, definitely a surprise but woot woot shuttle in ca, im sort of bias
      what ever happens......happens

Comment

Thanks for the report Eric D.

I thought the U.S. Air Force Museum in Dayton, Ohio would have been a sure bet to receive one, but go figure.

I was also half guessing that one would go to Houston, Texas, but no go there either.

Rick G.

Comment

Np Rick. I though Dayton was going to get a shuttle with Discovery supposely carrying the most military payload.
          what ever happens......happens

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Diffoot View Post
            Np Rick. I though Dayton was going to get a shuttle with Discovery supposely carrying the most military payload.
            It was the worst kept secret that Discovery was going to the Smithsonian to replace Enterprise.

Originally NASA said they wanted a shuttle on the East Coast, West Coast, and one in the middle of the country. Everyone assumed one would go to Houston while Enterprise would likely be moved to the KSC.

There is no doubt that the final decision was all political. If the Johnson Space Center had been in a blue state, then it would have gotten a shuttle.

Comment

NASA has a book on the history of the Space Shuttle on-line (I understand that no hard copy available unless you print it yourself).

Comment

Working...
              X