Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JFK Question

Hey everybody,

can everyone tell me, which airlines and accordingly which aircraft types land usually on runway 13L at JFK airport?
    What about the operating of this runway, is it the whole day open for landings (in case of east wind)? Which other factors I have to consider, if I want to stand under the approach of 13L?

Thanks and kind regards,

Dennis

If they are operating on 13L/R, almost everyone will come in on 13L, with departures going off 13R. Obviously a good deal of it depends on winds, but they will also switch things up for other considerations - noise abatement, coordination with LGA and EWR, etc.

It's not unusual to see them switch runways during the day. Another consideration when winds are out of the south/east is they will run a split runway configuration, with landings on 22L and 13L, and departures on 13R. When that is going on, most flights from the Northeast and Europe/Middle East will land on 22L, with others going to 13L - but I was out spotting about a week ago, and probably 80% went to 13L.

You may also see some 4L/R operations, especially early in the day. Runway 31 operations are less frequent over the summer due to prevailing winds.

When you say stand under the approach of 13L what are you talking about? Doing some spotting? Unfortunately, there aren't many good sites for 13L spotting - one of the more popular spots was in a parking lot on the airport that is now closed. Other than that, it's pretty much hit-or-miss.
    KC-135: Passing gas and taking names!

Comment

Thanks for your fast answer!

So as I found out in your text, it’s a kind of game of luck doing some spotting under the approach of 13L with the aim to catch the international or European heavies.

My first and last time doing some spotting at JFK was in 2009, I was standing in the near of the JFK Federal Circle Station “Rental Car” as I said under the approach of 13L. This year I will be back at JFK in the beginning of September. My flight will depart in the evening and I will have the whole day (Saturday) to take pictures, unfortunately without a car. So would you recommend to me to stand again at this point the whole day? In this case I have to hope that the wind is right for 13L landings, otherwise I’ll get problems to spot any aircraft..

Comment

It might be hard to spend the day spotting without a car. You could end up somewhere without any traffic for hours if the runway configuration isn't in your favor. You might want to check out NYCAviation.com, especially the forum, when you get closer to your visit. Post something on the forum, and if folks are out, someone may be able to give you a lift - I've taken a few out-of-town spotters around in the past, and if I'm free, I would be glad to help you out as well. All depends on my schedule, but let me know.
        KC-135: Passing gas and taking names!

Comment

That’s what I already assumed..

But I will have a look at the NYCAviation.com forum and will let you know the date of my visit.

Thanks a lot for your kind answer and help!

Comment

Working...
          X