2 Light A/C crash over Shoreham Airport, South England

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 Light A/C crash over Shoreham Airport, South England

Reports of 2 light aircraft crashing over Shoreham Airport, in West Sussex, are still coming in. A friend on the scene said one a/c dived into the playing field next to the perimeter fence of the airport. The other aircraft made the short distance to the sea and ditched there. Lifeboats and helicopters are presently on scene.

No reports of persons or injuries received yet.

Shoreham Airport, also known as Brighton Airport is a small recreational airfield with 1 grass and 1 hard runway.

1 dead, 2 shaken but uninjured. Looks like the deceased pilot should get a bravery medal for avoiding ground casualties.

One person has been killed after a light aircraft crashed into Adur recreation ground after a collision with another aircraft.

A 63-year-old pilot dies as his light aircraft collides with another plane in the air and crashes near Shoreham Airport in West Sussex.

May he rest in peace.
    If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

I live and work in Shoreham and the incident has shocked the whole community.
      The airport is a key part of the community and our condolences go out to the pilot's family.
      He was a very experienced career commercial pilot and was piloting his own plane.
      It would seem he managed to wrestle his aircraft away from a large number of houses after the initial collision with a Diamond Star over Shoreham beach.
      It was a miracle of flying by the other crew, to land their aircraft with no prop and large amounts of damage to the whole fuselage/wings.

Rest in peace in the clouds my friend...........

Comment

I'm not referring to this particular accident, and I don't mean that this particular pilot (may he RIP), knowing that he was going to die, didn't try to steer the plane away from the populated area to prevent taking other lives with him, but:

- Typically, when an airplane falls out of control it's just that: out of control.
        - Typically, when a pilot can control the plane and steers to an open area rather than to a group of houses, he is thinking more of himself than those on the ground.
        - Typically the reports that the pilot was a hero because he aimed the plane away from other persons in the middle of an extreme emergency that ended with him crashing, burning and dying, are BS.

Please note the word "typically" at the beginning of each sentence.

- Going to this particular case: The news report say that the plane rolled 180º (that is, upside down), that the back of the plane "popped" (whatever it means) and that the playground where he crashed is typically full of persons including children. I have no doubt that the pilot was wrestling all he could to regain control of the plane, I very much doubt that he managed to do it, let alone that he did it and then aimed to the spot where he crashed.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
        --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
          I'm not referring to this particular accident, and I don't mean that this particular pilot (may he RIP), knowing that he was going to die, didn't try to steer the plane away from the populated area to prevent taking other lives with him, but:

- Typically, when an airplane falls out of control it's just that: out of control.
          - Typically, when a pilot can control the plane and steers to an open area rather than to a group of houses, he is thinking more of himself than those on the ground.
          - Typically the reports that the pilot was a hero because he aimed the plane away from other persons in the middle of an extreme emergency that ended with him crashing, burning and dying, are BS.

Please note the word "typically" at the beginning of each sentence.

- Going to this particular case: The news report say that the plane rolled 180º (that is, upside down), that the back of the plane "popped" (whatever it means) and that the playground where he crashed is typically full of persons including children. I have no doubt that the pilot was wrestling all he could to regain control of the plane, I very much doubt that he managed to do it, let alone that he did it and then aimed to the spot where he crashed.
          Why do you always have to muck up stories with facts and stuff....I swear.
          Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

And our Gabe can speak with a higher degree of certainty than most others.

Especially since he speaks with the dead pilots.
            Live, from a grassy knoll somewhere near you.

Comment

The diamond star was taking off when the vans was approaching from the right (West), it would appear that he reported his postion as further out and away from the spot that he was when the collision took place. The diamond star suffered lost of his prop and his nose landing gear as well as damage to the lead edge of his wing. The pilot managed to 'glide' around to land 'more or less' on the grass runway, there are gouge marks where the nose made contact with the ground.

Comment

Originally posted by guamainiac View Post
                And our Gabe can speak with a higher degree of certainty than most others.

Especially since he speaks with the dead pilots.
                Actually, your comments here do not hold water.

Gabriel gave no information that required speaking with dead pilots.

He made no comment relative to this incident.

He just stated some facts- those that live to tell about it very often report things such as acting on instinct, tunnel vision, and no time to think about how to miss the nearest playground and be martyred as a skilled and loving pilot.

He also stated that, for some reason, pilots of unconrollable planes that have lost control surfaces after mid air collisions and that flip over on their back generally do a lousy job of being able to guide their planes anywhere...maybe some psycological problem or something prevents this?

The dude is kind of a stickler for accuracy. Even though he's wrong that pilots should go into a steep dive when there's a stall warning.
                Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

...and TYPICALLY (that word again) .....people who were'nt in the cockpit, hell, weren't even THERE, typically tend to spout bullshit in order to simply hear the sound of their own voice.
                  For Christ sake, a man died and WITNESSES, i.e. those who were there say that it LOOKED like he veered away from houses.

Why can't you just leave it at that ?
                  If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
                    ...and TYPICALLY (that word again) .....people who were'nt in the cockpit, hell, weren't even THERE, typically tend to spout bullshit in order to simply hear the sound of their own voice.
                    For Christ sake, a man died and WITNESSES, i.e. those who were there say that it LOOKED like he veered away from houses.

Why can't you just leave it at that ?
                    ...scientist by trade. And I'll be the first to say that it does LOOK like the earth is flat and that the sun revolves around us.

Unfortunately we analyze and things and realize that they aren't always what they LOOK like. One thing that isn't always what it LOOKS like are WITNESS statements and popular media. TYPICALLY they have a lousy accuracy rate.

That is something one might learn if they spent time on an aviation safety discussion board, but then again, this board is not TYPICALLY known for it's high level analysis and factual discussion.

Comment

They told me they speak with Gabe. Who are you to doubt us?

Comment

I don't suppose that you would be convinced by the power of prayer, taking the place of critical control surfaces.

Well then, how bout' galley water into JP4 ??

Comment

Originally posted by 3WE View Post
                          ...scientist by trade. [...] One thing that isn't always what it LOOKS like are WITNESS statements and popular media. TYPICALLY they have a lousy accuracy rate. [etc...]
                          And don't forget the common sense factor:

Planes where the pilot has enough control typically don't crash at very extreme attitudes, like nose into the ground and inverted.

Planes where the pilot doesn't have enough control typically can't be steered to the pilot's will.

Firs step, regain enough control if you can. Then try to steer it to the best crash spot you can find and reach. Chances are the best for you will be the best for those in the ground too. (for example, the park next to the houses is better than the houses themselves).

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
                          --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

At the end of the day, i live where this happened and the point of collision is some way from the point of impact!!! this guy could have just dumped it into the sea!
                            If he wasnt bothered about the houses etc he would have just dropped it there and then.

This guy died.....
                            Stop analysing his last moments as if he was an complete novice pilot

Comment

Originally posted by landing-gear View Post
                              This guy died.....
                              Stop analysing his last moments as if he was an complete novice pilot
                              This isn't a funeral, it's a forum, where people analyze plane crashes. All Gabriel is saying is that it appears that the plane was uncontrollable when it came down. I see no disrespect in that.

Comment

Working...
                              X