Yak-42 crashes in Russia killing hockey team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Evan,

You would like to think that when you noticed the runway was running out you would advance to TOGA, however experience shows us that crew tend to notice quite late in the piece that the runway is running out too quickly. That is probably partially because you are used to using most of the runway on normal takeoffs.

Comment

speculation on some Russian media that they decided to reject after v1 due to conflicting traffic, realized they would not be able to stop, changed their minds and decided to try and fly. sounds like bs to me but this is what i am hearing
      moving quickly in air

Comment

Originally posted by orangehuggy View Post
        speculation on some Russian media that they decided to reject after v1 due to conflicting traffic, realized they would not be able to stop, changed their minds and decided to try and fly. sounds like bs to me but this is what i am hearing
        Sounds plausible enough to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
          ...Happened before.
          ...more than once, Evan.
          Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan View Post
            Wouldn't you advance to TOGA when the runway began to run out?
            Yes, but even if you do it can be too late already.
            It appears that they didn't even rotate until they hit the lawn.
            I'm not sure. It looks like that, but the video is not clear.
            It also looks like, when the plane goes over the cammera, the rotation angle is quite large, and still the plane is on the ground. That (if correct, I'm not sure either) would undoubtely mean a too low airspeed.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
            --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Yak

This reminds me of a flight I was on in 1995 in a Yak 42 from Batumi in Georgia (former USSR) to the capital Tbilisi. We took off over the Black Sea and cruised for more than 10 minutes at very low altitude over the water, slowly turning back East and finally gaining altitude. The only explanation I could/can think of is that we were too heavy and were burning off fuel to be able to climb. (Might as well not have taken the fuel on board, I hear you thinking).
              I would hope the safety situation is better now, 15 years later, but these things keep crashing too often.

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
                Yes, but even if you do it can be too late already.

I'm not sure. It looks like that, but the video is not clear.
                It also looks like, when the plane goes over the cammera, the rotation angle is quite large, and still the plane is on the ground. That (if correct, I'm not sure either) would undoubtely mean a too low airspeed.
                The main gear trucks are rotated at the end, so the weight has at least come off them. But I think the fact that this happens well beyond the runway is a sure sign that the airspeed is too low.

I also wonder if the video edit ends the sequence or if the plane hit the camera.

Comment

Imagine.. If they published on the web pilots' talks and data from flight recorders, in a day or two all the possible and real reasons would be here in discussions for free...
                  But not truth is needed, IAC needs desirable acceptable reasons... (
                  Air crashes don't just happen... www.aircrash.ucoz.net

Comment

On Sep 12th 2011 the MAK reported, that the on site investigation has been nearly completed. The aircraft, built in 1993, had accumulated 6,500 flying hours, with a design target of 12,000 hours life span. The actual takeoff weight was below maximum takeoff weight. Total fuel on board was 14 tons, 8 tons of which were added in Yaroslavl. An analysis of the fuel is still being carried out. The crew performed a proper flight controls check during takeoff preparation, the elevator moved freely and normally. Weather conditions, including winds, had no influence on the accident sequence. Stabilizer and flaps were properly set for takeoff. All engines were working normally until impact with ground. A single parameter can not be identified as cause from the flight data recorder, all of the system parameters off the flight data recorder are now going to be studied in a special research center. The commission is considering a full scale experiment on the aircraft controls.
                    “The only time you have too much fuel is when you’re on fire.”

Erwin

Comment

Originally posted by ErwinS View Post
                      On Sep 12th 2011 the MAK reported, that the on site investigation has been nearly completed. The aircraft, built in 1993, had accumulated 6,500 flying hours, with a design target of 12,000 hours life span. The actual takeoff weight was below maximum takeoff weight. Total fuel on board was 14 tons, 8 tons of which were added in Yaroslavl. An analysis of the fuel is still being carried out. The crew performed a proper flight controls check during takeoff preparation, the elevator moved freely and normally. Weather conditions, including winds, had no influence on the accident sequence. Stabilizer and flaps were properly set for takeoff. All engines were working normally until impact with ground. A single parameter can not be identified as cause from the flight data recorder, all of the system parameters off the flight data recorder are now going to be studied in a special research center. The commission is considering a full scale experiment on the aircraft controls.
                      Interesting. I have now read those reports, too. Nothing explicitly stated about thrust or speed, but certainly there is an implication that the data presents a normal set of parameters thus far (i.e. there is no one parameter that points to a cause). That brings me back to the possibility of some terrible handiwork on the part of the pilots. Sorry, it's hard not to think along those lines nowadays.

Comment

One more version suggested by the officials: the aircraft was accelerating with the parking brake on and the pilots noticed it during the take off run only but it was too late.

Comment

I'd be grateful if anyone can find more info on the 2005 event mentioned at 0:55 in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ApFw_Gf7Dg everything I found is in the "show more" video description.
                          moving quickly in air

Comment

Originally posted by orangehuggy View Post
                            I'd be grateful if anyone can find more info on the 2005 event mentioned at 0:55 in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ApFw_Gf7Dg everything I found is in the "show more" video description.
                            I took a glance, there's hardly any decent info on this accident in English.
                            Can only give you a link in Russian but it's practically the same you've read in the video description: http://www.logistics.ru/9/6/i77_11081p0.htm
                            It's said the plane RA-64502 spent about 2hs in air to run out the fuel and then made a successful landing with more than 160 people on board.

Comment

Could "pilot unwell" mean that he was still snookered from too much Vodka?
                              Live, from a grassy knoll somewhere near you.

Comment

Originally posted by guamainiac View Post
                                Could "pilot unwell" mean that he was still snookered from too much Vodka?
                                I don't think so.

Comment

Working...
                                X