Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spotter friendly airports outside the US?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spotter friendly airports outside the US?

Hey guys,

I'm going to be flying around the next 3 weeks visiting different countries, plan on doing some spotting while I'm there. I am going to BKK and NRT for sure next week. Does anyone have any tips or suggestions for either airport?

Also, if you had the opportunity to spend a day or two somewhere abroad plane-spotting, where would you go? I was really hoping to do SXM, but this time of year almost all service is Saturday only(I can't afford an entire week there), and the only 2 US flights operating daily are JFK(Jetblue) and MIA(American), both getting me in too late to connect home to SFO. Don't really want to have to leave on Sat and miss all the action, maybe some other time.

I'm really thinking about AMS and some parts of Germany, we'll see how the loads look.

Of course I'm always open to hang out with people from JP if I'm going to be in your area. Just let me know.

Thanks, guys.
    sigpic
    http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=170

In Europe I'd recommend AMS, FRA, ZRH, LHR as top destinations.
    My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

But the most spotter friendly is probably DUS.

Comment

Originally posted by seahawk View Post
        But the most spotter friendly is probably DUS.
        AMS and DUS.

Comment

This site is very useful for Narita:

Comment

Thank you very much guys, ironically those were the cities I wanted to see regardless this month. Can't wait to check them out!
            sigpic
            http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=170

Comment

MAN is pretty decent for spotters. Has a bus running from the terminals to the viewing park, and there is also decent viewing from top of the car parks at the terminals. Also many locations around the airport for spotting/photog. LHR is pretty good as the prinicpal spotting areas are within easy reach of the terminals/public transport. Europe wise, it's been said already....AMS/ZRH/DUS/FRA/MUC all have good decks/viewing areas. If you get to NRT, try as hard as you can to get to HND also. It's a fair distance from NRT but very, very rewarding if heavies are your thing (although mainly JAL/ANA). One of my best ever spotting afternoons was at HND. The decks are superb and very spotter friendly.

Comment

FRA isn't bad for spotting but if I'm not mistaken the terrace closes at about 5:30PM which sucks because you get some heavies at that time. Come to Canada, friendly here, great spots, especially here in Ottawa where you can get up close and personal with the traffic.
                Zurich is very hard to get around to with all the construction going on there, it will be really tough to get to a actual spotting location at ZRH for a while sadly.
                Flickr |Airliners.Net | Airplane-Pictures.Net | Jetphotos.Net

Comment

Originally posted by Jan-Jasinski View Post
                  Zurich is very hard to get around to with all the construction going on there, it will be really tough to get to a actual spotting location at ZRH for a while sadly.
                  What?! Zurich is an awesome airport for spotting and hopefully will remain so for quite some time. It may get even better, once the construction is finished and we have a new spotting location in Terminal B, but there are plenty of alternative positions until then!

Comment

Originally posted by biggerben View Post
                    What?! Zurich is an awesome airport for spotting and hopefully will remain so for quite some time. It may get even better, once the construction is finished and we have a new spotting location in Terminal B, but there are plenty of alternative positions until then!
                    Odd, when I was there a airport worker said there is no way to get near the RWY because of all the construction :S .

Guess i'll have to re-visit ZRH then

Comment

Originally posted by Jan-Jasinski View Post
                      WHAAAAT ???? Jan, learn to shut up when you just don't know ok ? ZRH, is by very far one of the best airport when it comes to spotters facilities, and by far ! And the constructions you're talking about is just one of the terrass, while the other is open all day long... and that's not talking about all the other great spotting locations around the airport, most of them equipped with facilities, restrooms, food stands and so on...

Alex

Comment

Originally posted by biggerben View Post

I shall definately be returning to ZRH once deck B is open again. That was a really cool deck to spot from last time I was there. Deck E was good also.

Comment

Originally posted by Omar Alex Saffe View Post
                          WHAAAAT ???? Jan, learn to shut up when you just don't know ok ? ZRH, is by very far one of the best airport when it comes to spotters facilities, and by far ! And the constructions you're talking about is just one of the terrass, while the other is open all day long... and that's not talking about all the other great spotting locations around the airport, most of them equipped with facilities, restrooms, food stands and so on...

Alex
                          Well it didn't help since I was only there for 30min and barely anyone spoke English..

Time for me to Shutup

Comment

If you ever come by the US, I know that Los Angeles and San Francisco are both good for getting Heavies. Seattle works too. I'm not so sure about the east coast.

Jan, good to know there is some JP spotter in Ottawa! I used to live there! Still miss the snow!
                            Remember on your hardest days, that the airplanes always take off against the wind... afterwards, the skies are all yours.

Comment

Working...
                            X