Lack of screeners?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by arnie View Post
    But I don't think it is fair to pounce on Erez the way some do here (especially as some are screeners and should be held to a higher standard as representatives of JetPhotos). He is paying for the site and the goal of this site is to have as many shots of airplanes as possible. And to add insult to injury: His rejection rate isn't so bad either. If you don't like screening: Don't screen. Nobody is forcing you.
    Very well said, I couldn't agree more.

I know I mostly sit on the sidelines and observe these days but the principle issue here is exactly the same as when I was part of the crew and I still think it needs some serious attention. The answer absolutely isn't to single one photographer out (whoever it may be) and tell them they're "consuming a lot of screener resources". That simply isn't on. The huge queue is a result of JP being a massively successful site, not just one person uploading what may be perceived by some to be too much. The way the queue is managed hasn't changed since I first started uploading (or trying to upload) here back in 2005, and it just isn't adequate to keep the site flowing with the volume of traffic it now handles, and as we've seen over the last few years the queue goes up, not down.

When the crew say the more they screen the more gets uploaded they're absolutely right; that's not an excuse or a myth, it's absolutely 100% true. As soon as people see the queue drop by 3-4 thousand after a queue dive they upload to take advantage of the quicker screening times, and in my time here as part of the screening team I saw it happen several times. That brings the queue right back to where it started, and that being the case there's only one logical answer in my mind and that's to restructure the queue limits. I can't see any other way the queue can be made more manageable.
    Seeing the world with a 3:2 aspect ratio...

My images on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by RingwaySam View Post
      Surely you would expect a little bit of appreciation?
      What would any photography site be without people who upload to it? Again, it works both ways.

If screeners stopped blaming photographers, photographers stopped blaming screeners and everyone thought about ways to solve this issue (which whatever anyone says actually is an issue) then maybe things would actually happen.

My images on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by PMN View Post
        What would any photography site be without people who upload to it? Again, it works both ways.
        I don't think I mentioned anything about not appreciating people uploading.

Comment

I don't think I mentioned anything about not appreciating people uploading.
          No, but you did say it's annoying when people complain when the screeners volunteer. I don't want to sound patronising but welcome to life mate. People complain, it's a natural part of what we do as human beings. You missed my point totally; it wasn't intended to highlight what you or anyone else did or didn't say, it was intended to highlight the fact that crew are blaming those uploading and those uploading are blaming crew, and in actual fact neither are to blame. The system and the way things currently operate are to blame, not those uploading or screening, and it's that way of operating that should be the focus, not individual groups of people.

My images on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by PMN View Post
            No, but you did say it's annoying when people complain when the screeners volunteer. I don't want to sound patronising but welcome to life mate. People complain, it's a natural part of what we do as human beings. You missed my point totally; it wasn't intended to highlight what you or anyone else did or didn't say, it was intended to highlight the fact that crew are blaming those uploading and those uploading are blaming crew, and in actual fact neither are to blame. The system and the way things currently operate are to blame, not those uploading or screening, and it's that way of operating that should be the focus, not individual groups of people.
            It is annoying, I don't think there is anything wrong with saying that. I'm sure you will agree you also found certain things annoying, I'm sure you know who.

And for the record (I know it's not directed at me) I don't mind who uploads - If somebody buys JP Elite then they have 1,000 upload slots. If they want to upload 1,000 photos then fine, just be a little patient.

Comment

It is annoying, I don't think there is anything wrong with saying that. I'm sure you will agree you also found certain things annoying, I'm sure you know who.

And for the record (I know it's not directed at me) I don't mind who uploads - If somebody buys JP Elite then they have 1,000 upload slots. If they want to upload 1,000 photos then fine, just be a little patient.
              Of course I found certain things annoying, but again with respect you're missing the point. I spent enough time screening on this site to understand how the queue and the site in general works, and in saying "I'm sure you know who" you're blaming certain individuals rather than accepting the situation, not any particular group, is to blame.

I'll say in it plain English:- Quit blaming each other and sort the damned problem out! There's an immense wealth of knowledge on this site both amongst the crew and it's members, and if that knowledge isn't taken advantage of then it's nothing but sheer stupidity. Once you all stop blaming each other and start looking for solutions this whole thing will be sorted and you'll look back on it wondering what the problem was in the first place. As long as the screeners keep blaming the uploaders and the uploaders keep blaming the screeners you'll get absolutely nowhere. Step back, accept that no-one's directly to blame and that this situation has arisen as a result of the site's success (but also accept the fact it now needs managing somewhat differently) and there's no doubt whatsoever in my mind that JP WILL be the world's No.1 aviation photography site. You just all need to stop bickering and get it sorted.

My images on Flickr

Comment

Hello again...
                Following all the recent comments here, by all members of the notables, after my previous responses, I would like to add a very brief response as follows:

First of all, I myself never complains about the queue here. NEVER !
                All words are here, anyone can browse through the text.

In this long discussion, I wrote only a response with a smile and a wink about the subject, without any word of complain, and that's all!

And I think (even I'm sure !) that if Gerardo not have reacted as he did in his first response to me, we would not like that now with this long discussion.

And I'm sure, even if we have language difficulties, because there are different people who speak different languages​​, and each language has different nuances, all in all everyone can and should understand the other, that everything is written very clearly, despite the language barrier.
                There may be typos or syntax errors, but it's not a thing to make any of comprehension mistake between intelligent people ...

With best regards and with a lot of respect to all of you,
                Erez.

PS
                By the way, I have a small question with a small explanation with a big smile and wink so, please...
                What is the accepted ratio of the crew members ?
                I think it is 100% or so ... I'm not sure but I think so.
                After all, it is inconceivable that the crew member will reject photos of the other crew members. Isn't right?
                So, maybe this is one reason that I needs to do a lot of clicks to make it succes somehow, while the crew member enough to make it succes in one click ...
                In addition to the obvious fact that crew member is also has a lot more experience than I have ...
                Last edited by Guest; 2011-10-06, 06:31. Reason: For adding text with "PS"...

Comment

I don't think it's very fair to pounce on the screeners either. Surely it works both ways?
                  But I didn't pounce on the screeners (at least not on all as a group). I just defended Erez. There is a difference.

And of course, JP needs pictures (of decent quality) and the photographers need a site to show their work.

I think that JP should look at an assembly line to look for inspirations to improve the screening process: Nobody working on a car assembly line knows how to build a car themselves, but together they make fine cars...
                  http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=21893

Comment

Originally posted by arnie View Post
                    But I didn't pounce on the screeners (at least not on all as a group). I just defended Erez. There is a difference.

And of course, JP needs pictures (of decent quality) and the photographers need a site to show their work.

I think that JP should look at an assembly line to look for inspirations to improve the screening process: Nobody working on a car assembly line knows how to build a car themselves, but together they make fine cars...
                    Arnie,
                    Thank you very much.
                    You wrote this here with beautiful words.
                    Best regards,
                    Erez.

Comment

No need to to be shy gents. Sure, my comments provoked some of the statements above.

Anyway, even beeing a screener I take my right for an own opinion. Let me word it a bit more in general: Anybody can upload as much as he wants. BUT, if a group of - let's say - 1500 photographers collectively, as a general consensus, decides on their own, to reduce their number of uploads and theres ia a tiny small group of photographers who uploads as much as they can, what will be the reactions on both sides? Sort of a prisoner dilemma ...

And one last word to you Erez ...
                      (snip) If you think that 100 photos of me has any impact on the queue of 18000 photos, (snip)
                      You know you uploaded far more than just 100 photos
                      My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

Originally posted by LX-A343 View Post
                        No need to to be shy gents. Sure, my comments provoked some of the statements above.

Anyway, even beeing a screener I take my right for an own opinion. Let me word it a bit more in general: Anybody can upload as much as he wants. BUT, if a group of - let's say - 1500 photographers collectively, as a general consensus, decides on their own, to reduce their number of uploads and theres ia a tiny small group of photographers who uploads as much as they can, what will be the reactions on both sides? Sort of a prisoner dilemma ...

And one last word to you Erez ... You know you uploaded far more than just 100 photos
                        Yes, definitely, there are days when the number is about 140 shots, and even 170 or so.
                        But, (and even "BIG BUT") : Is my numbers are what's the make the big impact, as you says?
                        Do you really think about that in all honesty? (I don't think so).
                        It's not even one percent of the total of 18000 photos !
                        It's too bad that you quote now only a "sniped" from my whole quote.
                        And it's too bad that you take this discussion over and over again in the wrong direction.
                        By what you write again and again, I get the feeling that you have something personal against me, without that we knows personally.
                        And now I really think that this issue played itself out for me.
                        I'm beginning to feel very uncomfortable to continue writing here now.

Comment

Erez you a free to up-load as much as you want. You are paying for that right and it is not your problem to reduce the queue. No need to feel bad about it.

In the end jp.net either needs to hire more screeners or make changes to the up-load rules. Either way not the problem of the paying customer.

Comment

Originally posted by seahawk View Post
                            Erez you a free to up-load as much as you want. You are paying for that right and it is not your problem to reduce the queue. No need to feel bad about it.

In the end jp.net either needs to hire more screeners or make changes to the up-load rules. Either way not the problem of the paying customer.
                            Ah, some sense! Absolutely bang on, Stefan. That's exactly the attitude that needed to sort all this out and if more people thought similarly the problem would easily be resolved.

My images on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by seahawk View Post

Stefan,
                              It's clear to me, and yet I'm not upload the photos every day, I also have a work and many other activities, and I don't have all the time to deal with the photos.
                              I just don't understand why Gerardo is blame me again and again.
                              As if I, a person aged 52, one of the oldest participants here, as if I am to blame in the JP.net's troubles ... That's it.
                              Have a nice day.

Comment

Originally posted by ErezS View Post
                                I just don't understand why Gerardo is blame me again and again.
                                Me neither. It's a hugely illogical thing to do given the situation isn't the fault of any specific person, or even any specific group of people and frankly I think specifically targeting someone who's contributed over 6000 images to the site is pathetic, arrogant, and massively counter-productive.

There ya go, a bit of honestly.

My images on Flickr

Comment

Working...
                                X