Lack of screeners?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PMN View Post
    Me neither. It's a hugely illogical thing to do given the situation isn't the fault of any specific person, or even any specific group of people and frankly I think specifically targeting someone who's contributed over 6000 images to the site is pathetic, arrogant, and massively counter-productive.

There ya go, a bit of honestly.
    Thanks Paul, honestly, with respect, and with

Regards
    Erez.

Comment

At least for me it is nothing personal. I think we agree on some facts.

1. the current queue length is not customer friendly
      2. more screening brings more up-loads

So I would dare say that just hiring more screeners will not solve the problem. Which means that changes to the up-load rules will have to be made. And as we are doing it with the intention to reduce the crew, it won´t be easy and most users will be affected - many of them might not be happy about the change.

Comment

Originally posted by seahawk View Post
        At least for me it is nothing personal. I think we agree on some facts.

1. the current queue length is not customer friendly
        2. more screening brings more up-loads

So I would dare say that just hiring more screeners will not solve the problem. Which means that changes to the up-load rules will have to be made. And as we are doing it with the intention to reduce the crew, it won´t be easy and most users will be affected - many of them might not be happy about the change.
        Stefan,
        No one can be sure if there is a something personally or not.
        I hope that it's not something personally, because there should not be such a reason. so I don't understand the tone of Gerardo's things.
        I have never written a complaint about the long queue.
        I have a lot of patience, I'm not a young boy in a hurry to somewhere ...
        Best regards,
        Erez.

PS
        By the way, in case of reducing staff, it can on the one hand create less conflicts, but and on the other hand, it can certainly cause a longer queue, but as I wrote above, I am a person with a lot of patience.
        Last edited by Guest; 2011-10-06, 12:57.

Comment

Originally posted by ErezS View Post
          SteI just don't understand why Gerardo is blame me again and again.
          As if I, a person aged 52, one of the oldest participants here, as if I am to blame in the JP.net's troubles ... That's it.
          Have a nice day.
          I don't blame you, I just said two things:
          Let me word it a bit more in general: Anybody can upload as much as he wants. BUT, if a group of - let's say - 1500 photographers collectively, as a general consensus, decides on their own, to reduce their number of uploads and theres ia a tiny small group of photographers who uploads as much as they can, what will be the reactions on both sides? Sort of a prisoner dilemma ...

And one last word to you Erez ... You know you uploaded far more than just 100 photos
          Even with smilies!! Is any of those statements wrong?

Again, as easy as possible to avoid misunderstandings:
          - ANYBODY is free to upload as much as he wants
          - BUT, a small group of photographers upload way above average, while a large group of photographers are far more selective and upload less, also thinking about the high queue. The behaviour of the first group must be somewhat "weird" to the second group.

Is the large queue soleley the problem of the top uploaders? Sure not! I can think of a few factors. These have been mentioned already (copy/paste):
          • screeners on holiday and also away due to other commitments.
          • absolutely shedloads of uploads as JP becomes more and more popular
          • there are a few screeners, who have left the scene
          • maybe some of the "3000" club screeners are tired of screening 3000 when others are not doing the quota month after month
          • only a handful of people had 50+ photos in the queue - it was more an issue of a large number of photographers all submitting photos, not a small group uploading huge numbers.
          ADDENDUM -Just an actual number: 4.3% photographers (59) have more than 50 photos in the queue, they accumulate 31.3% (5680) of the uploaded photos. And you, Erez, openly admitted you are "delighted to be one of these photographers! "

There are probably more problems, but anyway. Possible solutions have been mentioned (also copy/past from above):
          • we have hired 4 new trainee screeners
          • Maybe set a maximum of pictures in the queue to 75 pics for elite members. When set down to 50 elite or even lower they probably end their elite membership.
          • even as an Elite member, I rarely have more than 15-20 shots in the queue at any one time.
          • My favourite: Shanwick, you have a large version of your forum picture by any chance? (Has nothing to do with the issue here, but if you have .... )
          As mentioned, the issue is beeing discussed in the crew. The direction will somewhat be to let quality contributors still upload "shedloads" (I like that one ), i.e. to take the acceptance rate more into account for the available upload slots.

I hope that was a fair, un-rude contribution of mine.
          My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

Gerardo,
            I must leave now the computer for a few hours, so I will respond now only briefly on the idea that you wrote at the end of your last response: it's actually a good idea.
            Just today the screeners are accept 13 of my photos out of 16, and reject three photos.
            In my opinion It's a good ratio, does not it?
            Best regards,
            Erez.

Comment

Originally posted by LX-A343 View Post
              only a handful of people had 50+ photos in the queue - it was more an issue of a large number of photographers all submitting photos, not a small group uploading huge numbers.
              Indeed had, now at 36 in queue

Comment

Nice to see you still on the forums Paul with good constructive words...it would be so easy to keep rowing away in the lifeboat.
                I think we may be getting an outbreak of common sense in some of the latter posts.Let us hope those at the helm take some action regards upload changes to reduce the Q.

[*]My favourite: Shanwick, you have a large version of your forum picture by any chance? (Has nothing to do with the issue here, but if you have .... )
                I know it was way off topic Gerardo but I was only replying to Kevin.....sssshhh but I think that is escaped the attention of the "super moderator"because he is away at the moment

Comment

I don't blame you, I just said two things:

Even with smilies!! Is any of those statements wrong?

Again, as easy as possible to avoid misunderstandings:
                  - ANYBODY is free to upload as much as he wants
                  - BUT, a small group of photographers upload way above average, while a large group of photographers are far more selective and upload less, also thinking about the high queue. The behaviour of the first group must be somewhat "weird" to the second group.

Is the large queue soleley the problem of the top uploaders? Sure not! I can think of a few factors. These have been mentioned already (copy/paste):
                  • screeners on holiday and also away due to other commitments.
                  • absolutely shedloads of uploads as JP becomes more and more popular
                  • there are a few screeners, who have left the scene
                  • maybe some of the "3000" club screeners are tired of screening 3000 when others are not doing the quota month after month
                  • only a handful of people had 50+ photos in the queue - it was more an issue of a large number of photographers all submitting photos, not a small group uploading huge numbers.
                  ADDENDUM -Just an actual number: 4.3% photographers (59) have more than 50 photos in the queue, they accumulate 31.3% (5680) of the uploaded photos. And you, Erez, openly admitted you are "delighted to be one of these photographers! "

There are probably more problems, but anyway. Possible solutions have been mentioned (also copy/past from above):
                  • we have hired 4 new trainee screeners
                  • Maybe set a maximum of pictures in the queue to 75 pics for elite members. When set down to 50 elite or even lower they probably end their elite membership.
                  • even as an Elite member, I rarely have more than 15-20 shots in the queue at any one time.
                  • My favourite: Shanwick, you have a large version of your forum picture by any chance? (Has nothing to do with the issue here, but if you have .... )
                  As mentioned, the issue is beeing discussed in the crew. The direction will somewhat be to let quality contributors still upload "shedloads" (I like that one ), i.e. to take the acceptance rate more into account for the available upload slots.

I hope that was a fair, un-rude contribution of mine.
                  Gerardo,
                  I read over and over all the contents in this discussion,
                  I'm sure that you just do not understand what I wrote, so you respond as you wrote.
                  And now I really exhausted with the participation in this discussion...

With best regards & respect,
                  Erez.

PS
                  One more question please:
                  Right now I have 125 photos in the queue.
                  That is, the average is about 7-8 uploads per day, given that the first photo has been 17 days or so in the queue.
                  Does that count for much?
                  Last edited by Guest; 2011-10-07, 05:23. Reason: Adding the PS

Comment

Guys and Gals, it seems like you all are taking this to personal. Whats your agenda to get your photos screened so fast? Who cares if it takes 18 days. Sure I have questioned in the past about the screening time. But after time I just put it back in the back of my head. Now I dont upload hundreds of photos. I only upload the photos that I want to rmeber in the future in case I have a Computer failure. All my photos that I have downloaded to this site mean something to me.

Not sure if you guys think just because you get on JP>net your photos are going to sell. Because if thats the case, I have better results coming for my site. So you dont need JP.net to makie yourself a world class Avaition Photographer. I tell my members on our site that its not about the photos it about the good times and memories you make with your spotter buddies. Now there is only a couple photogs on this site that I have the oppertunity to go spotting with and I could care less about the quality of my photos. I dont think that every shutter click is going to be JP.net worthy.

If you want to fix the probem of the thousands of photos waiting to be screened. The answer is not getting more screeners. With getting screeners comes training. Now you got screeners double checking the newbs. When you guys get to lets say 12000 photos in the screening process. Cut to upload process off until you get back down to lets say 5000 photos.

But guys there is no reason to point fingers. This site is out growing its pants. And the thats a good thing. But even if the sceening process gets over 100000 photos who cares. Get out there and take pictures, make memories. HAVE FUN . There is much worse things to worry about. if you dont have anything to worry about I will pass some of mine your way.

Take care guys.

Jason Bong
                    Phxspotters

Comment

Originally posted by nkand
                      Some sense finally! I salute you Seahawk- you are one of a few on this site who seem to genuinely care about the members/photographers and are willing to listen to constructive criticism.

seem to forget that ALL the time (mainly screeners/management) which is quite dissapointing. Gerardo slamming Erez every time for bad english is ridiculous- It is Erez's second language and he is doing a very good job considering he was brought up almost solely using Hebrew.

to sign off- I would say with increasing number of photos uploaded as technology increases and cameras are more widespread, JP needs to adapt far better to the times. Because at the moment- nothing is changing fast or even at all to display why I shouldnt cancel my JP Elite payments..
                      I must say that adding more screeners to improve consistency has never worked in the past and I fear it won´t work in the future. It might sound easy but there is a huge amount of stuff to read, understand and memorize for the screeners. We have been discussing the topic inside the crew for a long time now and we all agree that adding more screeners is needed, but it won´t be enough to get the queue under control. The data clearly shows that more screening brings more up-loads. Currently I would not dare to guess how many up-loads we would see if the screening time would be back to 5 days. I don´t dare to guess, because what we are currently getting up-loaded each day, is about the same amount we were getting as maximum up-loads 3 or 4 years earlier. Going by the available data I would dare to say, that we would be looking at over 2000 up-loads each day. Which would translate into 60.000+ photos each months. Meaning 120.000 votes from the screeners, meaning around 100+ screeners. 100 screeners will not work.

We also tried to get a better global coverage of the screening team, but there is nothing we can do if applicants simply do not meet the quota.

So currently we are looking at changes to the up-load rules and after seeing the effects, we plan to increase the screening team slowly. More than 4-5 screeners in training is not workable either.

Comment

Originally posted by J.Louwen View Post
                        Tell us, what is going on?
                        Lack of screeners?
                        To many uploads, by to many members?
                        See quote: This was only what I was curious about!
                        Now the topic totally changed in how many shots we take?

Although it's related to my topic, it was not what I wanted to know!

Comment

Originally posted by Shanwick View Post
                          I know it was way off topic Gerardo but I was only replying to Kevin.....sssshhh but I think that is escaped the attention of the "super moderator"because he is away at the moment ........

.......and you think he isn't watching from afar ????
                          If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Hi folks, I hope the backlog is due to JP.net being more popular, not because of a lack os screeners. Sure, it will take some time to have your photo screened, but I don't think everyone here is in a rush so, relax and enjoy the time here in the forum

Comment

I will stay tuned to the decisions. Hopefully we will figure a way out of this eventually!

Comment

WOW! Yesterday 12-10-2011 over 1200 pics added!
                                Meaning about 2000 screened?

Go on like that guys, we gonna "love" you all!
                                Or are we doing that already?

Comment

Working...
                                X