No announcement yet.

Lack of screeners?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There is an upside to the long screening queue...by the time photos get screened, I've forgotten I had uploaded them, so it is a pleasant little surprise when I get the e-mail telling me they have been accepted!
    KC-135: Passing gas and taking names!

Comment

A simple way to reduce the que is stop uploading for a while.... then when you do upload you will have less of a wait. I know I have over 500 photos waiting to upload and with over 1500 to be edited, but I am too busy working and then screening to bother with my own pics at this stage.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenden S View Post
        A simple way to reduce the que is stop uploading for a while....
        I tried this once, but for other reasons. I couldn't ... It's an addiction, I need a cure! Or a hobby

On topic: I really don't mind if screening takes a few weeks. And indeed: today I got an email notifying me that two pics had been accepted. I though: oh, I didn't even know I uploaded them. A surprise, and who doesn't like surprises once in a while?

Comment

Originally posted by Hinkelbein View Post
          On topic: I really don't mind if screening takes a few weeks.
          Well, I DO! And you know why?
          Because I still have to many rejections, meaning that sometimes it takes about 5 weeks (in case of rejection) before a picture will be accepted!

(I know, no-one to blame accept for myself)!

BUT: Since yesterday I have these new (reading) classes!

Might be helpful?

Comment

I may not be as much of a photographer as you all are but its one thing we all share is the power to take photos and the power to upload them and have others look at them and comment on them etc etc....for me i dont care how long it takes to get the photos uploaded/rejected because for me im just a basic uploader...

im not sure i really want to upload anymore because the fact that my photos are so bad and they always get rejected...so i wish everyone the best of luck...
            http://www.flickr.com/photos/darrenvox
            http://www.jetaircraftmuseum.ca

Comment

Originally posted by Hinkelbein View Post
              It's an addiction, I need a cure! Or a hobby
              No, it can NOT be cured!
              You just have to live with that knowledge.
              But, a hobby you say?

What to think of photography?

Comment

Originally posted by RingwaySam View Post
                I don't think it's very fair to pounce on the screeners either. Surely it works both ways?

Nobody said they don't like screening, what is annoying though is people complaining when screeners volunteer. Look at it this way, imagine you went to a poor country and built a school for a community. A few days later they come up to you and complain about your work. Would you feel happy about that or pissed off? Nobody has told you to build the school, but you want to help the community. Surely you would expect a little bit of appreciation?

Sam
                Hmm I think it is more of a case of someone going to a poor country and building a shopping mall. The builders benefit because it is a hugely successful money maker and business. The community benefit from having shops and services. Now do both sides have the right to complain if needed? I think so.
                Have a look at my photos, including Kai Tak crazy landings!http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=460

Comment

Originally posted by Colin Parker View Post
                  Hmm I think it is more of a case of someone going to a poor country and building a shopping mall. The builders benefit because it is a hugely successful money maker and business. The community benefit from having shops and services. Now do both sides have the right to complain if needed? I think so.
                  Well the company makes the money, the builders get a fraction of there earnings. That's not really the case here, is it?

Not once have I said people shouldn't be allowed to complain or have an opinion, I simply said the moaning (and that wasn't specifically directed at this thread) was annoying. You're entitled to an opinion and so am I. I'm sure if you get rejections somedays and think "Oh it's been in the queue for 18 days, that's kind of annoying" and get on with it.

Nobody likes waiting 18 days for there photos to be screened, atleast the queue has been reduced slightly over recent days.
                  Last edited by RingwaySam; 2011-10-16, 15:11.

Comment

Originally posted by Colin Parker View Post
                    Errrr ?

Where do I, as one of the builders, ever get to see any money ? As a screener I'm a totally unpaid volunteer.
                    If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

• Fact is premium users pay for the site service and they have a right to complain, when the service is not good. It does not matter at all if the screeners get paid or not.

It is also fact that we will have to look at the terms of service, if we want to reduce the screening time, as adding more screeners won´t make a lasting impact.

Comment

• As usual Stefan, you are completely correct....and I stand corrected.
                        If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

• Originally posted by seahawk View Post
                          Fact is premium users pay for the site service and they have a right to complain, when the service is not good.
                          Just thinking out loud here, so please don't consider it an attack. Hell, I don't even have a paid account so what do I care.

Would it perhaps be an idea to give paying members an additional benefit? I'm thinking along the lines of an expedited queue where the wait time is at most, say, 5 days. To keep that queue managable no more then, say, 3 photos can be in the queue by any photographer at the same time with a maximum of 10 per week or something like that. If someone has a high rejection ratio this priviledge is revoked or curtailed. If they want to upload more then 3 photos,or if the rejection rate is bad, they can upload into the regular queue.

From a software point of view it might be possible to copy part of the code now used for the "hot photo" queue.
                          Please visit my website! http://www.schipholspotter.com/

Don't make me use uppercase...

Comment

• The fast queue idea has been discussed within the team. The problem is that given the average number of Elite members, we came to the conclusion, that it would increase the screening time for the normal members by 30-50%(+). This did not look like a fair idea, as the non-paying members are also very important to the site and they contribute many wonderful photos.

We are more looking into ways to have more incentive for high quality up-loads and having few rejections.

Comment

• Post deleted

I would like to know why my post on this thread under Erez's was deleted. Its pretty abhorrent that someone felt the need to do so when all it was was constructive criticism.

It is obvious by this nothing has changed- and I cannot believe that you actually censored this- when nothing even remotely bad or degrading was said.

Regards,

a shocked and apalled JP member

Comment

• well lets see .. 5 days .. 15 days ... 30 days. Its all fine by me (and i am an Elite member too).

The only way anyone can complain is if the screeners are getting paid for this. Last time I checked, Screeners are volunteers. Add to that, the increase in popularity of JP and the result is in front of you (long queue).

Now if Chris starts paying the screeners, I will demand faster screening too.

Comment

Working...
                                X