Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canon 450D Settings?

Hi guys,

New here so please bear with me I知 still learning! Quick question for anyone using the above equipment, which settings do you use when taking photos of aircraft (Both takeoff/landing & taxiing)?

I知 currently using a 70-300mm non image stabilised lens, and a 50-250mm Image stabilised lens...

Do people tend to use an automatic setting or manual using their own choice of aperture, ISO & shutter speed?

Excuse the ignorance, like I say I am still learning!

Kindest regards,

Simon
    Simon A. Baskerville

I use Av (Aperture priority), F8, ISO160.
    [SIGNATURE GOES HERE]

Felipe Garcia

Comment

Like Felipe, I usually use Av at about f8 and iso auto. I think that's a great setting to be starting out and learning from, and then expanding from there.

Comment

I'm shooting with a 40D, but the setting should be similar. If it's a sunny day, I'll shoot Av, f/7.1, and ISO 100 for general photos. If I'm shooting props, I'll shoot Tv, ISO 100, and vary the shutter for effect (1/125 - 1/320).
        KC-135: Passing gas and taking names!

Comment

Thanks very much for the info everyone, seems you all use the camera in the same general fashion; up until now ive either been using the 'No Flash' or 'Sports' mode, guess next time im at the airport I'll try it the way you guys do - maybe then I'll have a better sucess rate!

Thanks again for the help, kindest regards,

Simon
          Simon A. Baskerville

Comment

I moved onto the world of "M" for my 7D but for general aviation photography in good light (ie a sunny day) Av, f8, iso 100 is a good starting point and adjust the exposure compensation as required. Don't stick it in auto iso or you'll end up shooting as something rediculous like iso1600 and you'll have a nice noisy photo to contend with. Leave white balance set to auto (AWB) and evaluative metering is a good starting point for the metering. If you want prop blur/motion blur switch to tv and have a play.

Comment

Originally posted by simonbaskerville View Post
              Thanks very much for the info everyone, seems you all use the camera in the same general fashion; up until now ive either been using the 'No Flash' or 'Sports' mode, guess next time im at the airport I'll try it the way you guys do - maybe then I'll have a better sucess rate!

Thanks again for the help, kindest regards,

Simon

Arrggghhh, don't use the "creative modes" lol recipe for disaster!

Start with "P" if you have to.

Comment

Working...
              X