Thread: What is your normal cruise height for Short Haul

Default What is your normal cruise height for Short Haul

What the subject says!
    I'm having difficulty in settling on my ideal cruise height.
    I know most airliners fly at 36,000ft aprox, but I seem to spend so much fuel getting there, I tend to settle for half that for any flight under 250nm.

Would this be an ideal & realistic cruise level?

I know what you mean.

Flight sim is quite a bit unrealistic in these aspects though. FlightAware.com offers real-life, live trackings of aircraft altitudes and other flight information.

For the 400-nm flight between San Diego and San Jose, I usually take my B737 to a mere 27,000 feet.

According to Flightaware, Southwest Airlines flight 641 from Las Vegas to Phoenix flies a 300 mile journey at FL290.

Good luck!

JC
    Remember on your hardest days, that the airplanes always take off against the wind... afterwards, the skies are all yours.

IF you use the ATC..they'll most likely direct you to around FL 180-190

I don't know so many flights which are really shorter than 250 nm and which for you can buy tickets, i.e. which is served by an airline...

There is a definition in Europe which says, a short haul flight is everything that is 810 nm (1500 km) or shorter. In this category, we know a lot of examples:
    EDDL - LIRF
    EDDL - LOWW
    EDDL - LIMC
    ... . . . . .....

So, the case that you've described is the short haul amongst the short haul flights. And even in this category which I call "super short haul", there is a difference (concerning the alt that you should not exceed) between
    EDDL - EBLG
    [which is an example for "is not served by an airline"]
    and
    EDDL - EDDH
    [which in fact IS served by an airline... ].

So, can you give an example? Which flight are you looking for?
    LH also has a intercontinental history, the Hamburg - Düsseldorf - Shannon - NYC route, open since June 1st, 1955.
    A/C type: Lockheed Super Constellation.
    The operator on the DUS - NYC route, on the DUS - BKK route, and on the shiny new DUS - LAS nonstop route? EW, one of the dearest LH daughters .

Aviation enthusiast since more than 30 years. A whole decade here on this platform.