Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Over Processed - here we go again.

Boys and Girls

I have followed the kind tips for editing my photos in PSE8.

1. Level horizion
    2. Crop
    3. Reduce size
    4. Adjust the histogram
    5. Selected only the aircraft with magic wand and sharpened only the plane
    6. Left the sky as is

Here is my photo

Is the aircraft OK?
    Why was my photo rejected? I know if you use PhotoShop you can see that digitally there are imperfections - but can you see these with the naked eye?

I understand uploading here has its rules and I need to comply. But I am getting the sensation that I can take a photo with a cell phone and still upload it if I am good with photoshop - who needs a 600 Euro camera and lens when all you need is an ability to manipulate the photo?

Am I going bananas because this morning 7 photos got rejected and the next 7 which are in queue will be rejected as well? This after 19 days 10 hours 1 minute in queue!

I feel miserable, useless and a complete idiot when it comes to being a spotter.

Hi Alberto,

I saved your image on my disk and opened it in photoshop. When i equalize the image i can see halos arround the wing, under the tail and nosewheel. Btw i also see a dustspot.

In the exif file i saw that you are using a Nikon camera. If i'm correct there is a setting on your camera witch gives some halos. I'm using Canon so maybe Nikon users can help you further with this.

You also get this halos when you use the shadow/highlight tool within photoshop.

Bjorn

Comment

I can see Halo's quite clearly without even going to photoshop. Are you using the active d lighting setting? If so turn it off.
      What are your sharpening settings may I ask?
      Sam Rudge
      A 5D3, some Canon lenses, the Sigma L and a flash

Comment

Hmm, first of all I'm not too good with the histogram or layers. But as little help as I may be, I can't see any halos around the aircraft. However, there appears to be a dust spot under the port wing, about the height of the wheel which should be fixed.

I'd also suggest posting a reply in the Rejection Help thread for screenrs' advice.

Please don't feel you are a useless idiot, I'm sure that you are an amazing photographer and probably WAY better than me.

Jayce
        Remember on your hardest days, that the airplanes always take off against the wind... afterwards, the skies are all yours.

Comment

My good friend Alberto,

You are absolutely not a useless and not a idiot.
          Sometimes I also feel disappointed, It's a feeling we can understand after many of rejections.
          But you shouldn't feel so bad as you wrote above.

I'm not an expert on photography and editing, but I try not to give up, and I edit my photos slowly, and try to learn from my mistakes and from other photographers.

I'm sorry that I can not help you more than with a few good words here ...

Best regards from the Holy land,
          Erez.

Comment

D-Lightning must be off in camera, as this function works similar to the shadow and highlight tool in photoshop. And I see the halo above the wing without equalizing the pic.

Comment

Well D-Lighting was off when I took those photos in May 2011.

Can anyone send me an email that shows the exact screen shots and menus you use to equalize or do the hokey-pokey that makes over-processed go away?

I have serious problems understanding where to go since I have PhotoShop Elements 8 and I think I do not have the ability to do all the hokey-pokey that has been suggested.

Incidentally am I the only one that uses PhotoShop Elements 8?
              Can someone give me a hand with that software? I know they are quite similar but many menus and commands are missing.

Comment

Alberto,

Have you read this post in the Tips and Tricks thread in the processing forum ?

I can clearly see a light halo around the upper wing without equalising the image. Do you have the ability to create a background layer in PSE8 ? If you do then....

1. Create a background layer.

2. Process the picture.

3. Delete all of the sky part of the image.

4. Flatten the image and save.

If you still have haloes then there is something wrong with the original image or you are doing something to create the halo before using the layer facility.
                If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Brian

Yes I have seen your Tips and Tricks. I printed the data in your thread and went bananas with PSE8 trying to figure out were the commands are.

For example when it comes to Equalize - I can equalize but then cannot do anything from there - apparently.

Another issue in PSE8 - I have no clue where Shadow / Higlight are hidden.

As I said, I have the Italian language versione which does not help to match things between PhotoShop and PSE8.
                  I really wonder if I am the lonely cowboy with PSE8.

Comment

Brian

I hope you read this and give me one more tip.
                    In your Processing Tips and Tricks thread - 4th section where you outline how to use the SHADOW / HIGHLIGHT tool to fix overprocessed photos - at the end of this section, point 9 you say "When you are certain that all of the sky has been deleted go to "Layer"..."Flatten Image". This will merge the layers into one leaving a clean sky with no haloes, no extra grain, no sharpening artefacts and a nicely processed aircraft."

Now here is my question - when you go through all the steps and Flatten the Image - does the sky look a "flat blue-gray" throughout? If I had clouds in the photo would they disappear and leave as I say a "flat blue-gray" sky?

I have tested this and it seems to work - I have on big doubt about the sky. Any help is most welcome.
                    Regards

Comment

Working...
                    X