No announcement yet.

Boeing 737-700/800 long-haul flights?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I find the room in a wide body a significant advantage. The 737 gives me the willies down the back, especially if there's no 'break' in the cabin and you can see from front to back.

Its nice knowing that if a, erm, 'larger' person decides to stand in the aisle doing something, or there's a blockage, you can easily just cross over and go down the other.

The other great part is that wide bodies are usually broken up into more zones, breaking the aircraft up into nice areas. Give me that any day.

Its nice to feel like you CAN swing a cat, even if you aren't planning to do so. Even if the seat you are in is the same.

Comment

I would change a seat in an A380 for a seat in a 737, DC-9, 707, F-28 and what not, provided that they have one inch of additional legroom.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
      --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Originally posted by MCM View Post
        I find the room in a wide body a significant advantage. The 737 gives me the willies down the back, especially if there's no 'break' in the cabin and you can see from front to back.
        I don't get the 'willies' but I second you on that. The larger the cabin, the greater the freedom of movement. Maybe I am a little claustrophobic?

Its nice knowing that if a, erm, 'larger' person decides to stand in the aisle doing something, or there's a blockage, you can easily just cross over and go down the other.
        Are you calling me fat? Haha. Another thing - carts and 'trolly dollies'. (OMG, no disrespect an all to my cabin crew crew!). Seriously, try getting to the lavatory while a meal service or drink service is going on, on a single aisled aircraft.

Its nice to feel like you CAN swing a cat, even if you aren't planning to do so. Even if the seat you are in is the same.
        #bestquoteof2013
        Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
          I would change a seat in an A380 for a seat in a 737, DC-9, 707, F-28 and what not, provided that they have one inch of additional legroom.
          And that's the sad part. I remember looking at some the of the 'conceptual mock-ups' that EK had put up an Air Show a while back - showing their A380s having large open spaces, and using an area on board to sell duty-free in an area that resembled a true duty free shop. All along I thought - ok, maybe they'll civilize travelling a bit - but with that underlying dread - nop, just more of us on a cattle-car ride all over again. Yes, the economy tanked, and granted EK's coach product on an A380 is still one of the highest rated in the world - but it still feels like a pain - that flying for most of us - is still a crappy experience.
          Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

Comment

Originally posted by Shanwick View Post
            I would say that the photo of a Continental 738 at HKG is not as strange as it appears.I think Continental's Micronesia flights are now operated by the main stream fleet now(ok now United)and there is a route from Guam to Hong Kong I would reckon that is well within range of a 738
            CAL has operated 738's out of Guam for many years now. First under the Air Mic operating certificate, then when they combined with the CAL certificate in 2011 they used the CAL call sign, and of course now operating as United.

Originally posted by Shanwick View Post
            ....perhaps they have a sub fleet of ETOPS 738's.
            All the CAL/UAL 737 fleet is ETOPS capable. The Guam based airplanes are equipped slightly differently than the US based airplanes. The GUM airplanes have sat-phones and, I believe, CPDLC.
            The "keep my tail out of trouble" disclaimer: Though I work in the airline industry, anything I post on here is my own speculation or opinion. Nothing I post is to be construed as "official" information from any air carrier or any other entity.

Comment

The Tupolev TU-204-300 has the longest range of any Narrow Body I am aware of. Vladavia used it to fly VVO-LED vv which is 6553km.

Unfortunately they have withdrawn all their Tupolevs from their fleet and this is now an A330 route.

Comment

Originally posted by snydersnapshots View Post
                (...) All the CAL/UAL 737 fleet is ETOPS capable. The Guam based airplanes are equipped slightly differently than the US based airplanes. The GUM airplanes have sat-phones and, I believe, CPDLC.
                Just a short reminder to avoid any confusion: CAL is actually China Airlines. Continental's ICAO code was COA.

Comment

Originally posted by tsv View Post
                  The Tupolev TU-204-300 has the longest range of any Narrow Body I am aware of. Vladavia used it to fly VVO-LED vv which is 6553km.

Unfortunately they have withdrawn all their Tupolevs from their fleet and this is now an A330 route.
                  I don't know what's the range of the TU-204, but the 757-200 is 7200km (7600 with winglets), and the 707-120B is 8700km.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
                  --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Kesternich View Post
                    Just a short reminder to avoid any confusion: CAL is actually China Airlines. Continental's ICAO code was COA.
                    Note taken Peter, you are correct. While I'm not going to confirm or deny an association with any airline, living or dead, I will say that reference to "L-CAL" (Legacy Continental) or "L-UAL" (Legacy United) is commonly used internally when talking about policies or procedures that apply to either legacy carrier.

BTW, the Guam based operation used CMI when it was under the Air Micronesia certificate. Now all use "UAL."
                    The "keep my tail out of trouble" disclaimer: Though I work in the airline industry, anything I post on here is my own speculation or opinion. Nothing I post is to be construed as "official" information from any air carrier or any other entity.

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
                      I don't know what's the range of the TU-204, but the 757-200 is 7200km (7600 with winglets), and the 707-120B is 8700km.
                      According to this link the headline says up to 8500km range for the TU-204-300. But the specs a bit lower down say 8200km. So longer legs than the 757-200 but less than the 707-120B.

Of course with max payload the range reduces considerably but I assume the TU-204-300 would still have greater range than the 757 if both were carrying max payload.

Comment

WestJet and Europost will be flying 737s trans Atlantic this summer, in the past Fiji Airways flew 737s to Vancouver.

Comment

Working...
                        X