Rejected photo - Blurry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rejected photo - Blurry

Anyone can help me to understand where this photo is blurry?

Excuse my ignorance but i am new here, i uploaded not many photos and i have to learn a lot of new things about the aviation photography.

Hi all!
    Penzo Jacopo

With the possible exception of the tail fin, just about all of it is blurred. It is especially noticeable in the ALITALIA title and the registration which are horizontally blurred. When I look at it my eyes are "hunting" across the image trying to focus on it.
    As the aircraft is passing away from you from right to left it has possibly been caused by the front end effectively moving away faster than the rear.
    If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

I tried looking at the image at 200% magnification and the tail is slightly blurry. Maybe it is as simple as your pan speed was slightly out of sync with the aircraft's motion. Do not be distressed, one more for experience.
      Last edited by Richard M. A. Wood; 2012-03-13, 00:57.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard M. A. Wood View Post
        I tried looking at the image at 200% magnification and the tail is slightly blurry. Maybe it is as simple as your pan speed was slightly out of sync with the aircraft's motion. Do not be distressed, one more for experience.
        If you only think the tail is slightly blurry, you may wanna get your eyes checked. Just a friendly hint.
        Sam Rudge
        A 5D3, some Canon lenses, the Sigma L and a flash

Comment

Thanks to all for the answers.

However, can i think that my camera malfunctions? Or is more probable that i do wong?

Any tips?

PS Escuse me for my bad english, i know that i have to improve it...
          Penzo Jacopo

Comment

Regarding a camera malfunction ? I very much doubt it. You have a Nikon D3100 which must be pretty well new as I see that your previous pictures were taken with an older Panasonic. There is unlikely to be any issues with a new camera.

The picture was shot at 220mm so I assume you have a lens something like a 70 - 300 zoom ? The aperture was f8 and shutter speed 1/320 which means you have exceeded the rule of thumb of having the shutter speed at least eaqual the focal length so I can only think that your problem lies with your panning. I would however suggest that you increase the aperture to f9 - f10 to ensure that you get the depth of field needed at longer ranges. I would also suggest that you change the metering mode to centre weighted from the current spot mode but that is not involved in this blurry issue.

When panning, Make sure you are set to continuous focus. Take a breath fully in and then slowly let half of that breath out and hold it. Pick up the aircraft in the viewfinder early before you intend to take the picture and focus with the half pressure on the shutter button. Lock your arms to your body if you can and pan from the hips (this is why you hold your breath, if you breathe now the camera will move up/down). Centre the viewfinder on the middle of the aircraft and aim to keep it there throughout the pan. Start to shoot as the aircraft comes into the area that you want shooting to commence. Fire off 5 or 6 shots as the aircraft passes, stop shooting BUT KEEP THE PANNING FOLLOWED THROUGH. Get into this habit and you won't fall foul of the common error of pausing your movement during shooting.
            By the way.....you can breathe again now !!

There is an easy way to practice this at home. Find a main road with moderately fast traffic and step back 100 yards. Two reasons for this. 1. You'll be simulating the kind of movements you use at the airport and 2. You'll be too far back for any drivers to get annoyed at you photographing them !!

Heavy goods vehicles are a good choice of subject as their length simulates that of an aircraft. The sketch below illustrates what I am trying to say...

Comment

Thank you very much brianw999
              Penzo Jacopo

Comment

All good advice.

Please use this thread for advice on any future rejections:
                Have a question about Photo Editing software (Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro, etc.), improving your photos, etc.? Our crew of Photo Screeners is here to help you out!

Comment

Excellent presentation BRIAN !

Those smiles messing with my eyes!

Comment

Thanks for the lesson Brian.

Comment

Not to throw a spanner in the works, but when panning with an interesting background i would always say to drop your shutter speed below the focal length to introduce some nice motion blur type effect on the back ground.
                      Chris Sharps
                      5D3 | 5D2 | 7D | 1D2 | 10D | 400D | 1V | 3
                      17-40F4L | 24-105F4LIS | 70-200F2.8LIS | 100-400LIS
                      24F1.4L II | 50F1.2L | 85F1.2L II | 15F2.8 Fisheye | 50F1.4 | 100F2.8 Macro
                      1.4x | 550EX x2

Fuji X100

Comment

You are indeed very correct Chris. This thread though was an attempt to help with maintaining subject sharpness for a newish photographer.

Blurred panning and lower shutter speeds come after the basics have been learned and mastered. One of our recently new screeners, Fabrizio Jiminez has some superb slow shutter, blurred background shots in the database.

Comment

Working...
                        X