Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Images of Alitalia fleet for eBook project

Dear friends,
    My name is Diego Meozzi and I'm the owner of a small family-run publishing company based in Italy. Being the son of an Alitalia captain (now retired) with over 21,000 flight hours, it was almost inevitable that I would develop a passion for flight.

Recently, together with my wife, I started working on a series of eBooks dedicated to specific aspects of civil aviation and in particular of Alitalia, the Italian national airline.

Since the funds available are very close to zero and in any case the eBooks will be sold at a much lower price than traditional printed books (hence our initiative is driven more by passion than by profit), we are seeking help from the community of plane spotters and enthusiasts willing to share their images of Alitalia planes.

Although Italian law states that all photographs with no "artistic value" taken in our country before 1992 are considered to be copyright free, we believe it is unethical grabbing "vintage" images available on the Web without seeking the consent of the authors. So, if you have photographs of any airplane of Alitalia's fleet from 1947 to present that you'd like to see published on our eBooks (of course we will duly acknowledge the author), that would be of invaluable help for our small publishing project.

Anyone interested can contact us via Personal Message through this forum or sending an email to info [at] cartabianca.com

We apologize in advance if you will find the same thread posted in another couple of aviation forums elsewhere.

Thanks to you all!

Thanks to the help of 8 willing spotters / photographers, we have now gathered images of 113 planes out of 503 of the full Alitalia fleet. As expected, it looks that the most difficult images to find are the ones of the oldest planes - from 1947 to about 1990.

We really hope to find the missing images with the help of additional people visiting this forum. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

To make selection easier to photographers, we have created a webpage containing the full list of images of Alitalia planes that we are still looking for. You can find our list of missing images here.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Diego

Comment

Originally posted by Cartabianca View Post
      Thanks to the help of 8 willing spotters / photographers, we have now gathered images of 113 planes out of 503 of the full Alitalia fleet. As expected, it looks that the most difficult images to find are the ones of the oldest planes - from 1947 to about 1990.

We really hope to find the missing images with the help of additional people visiting this forum. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

To make selection easier to photographers, we have created a webpage containing the full list of images of Alitalia planes that we are still looking for. You can find our list of missing images here.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Diego
      That is a big number of shots you need. I bet i have some for you. Do you need the oiginals or can you use them from the site?
      “The only time you have too much fuel is when you’re on fire.”

Erwin

Comment

Originally posted by ErwinS View Post
        That is a big number of shots you need. I bet i have some for you. Do you need the oiginals or can you use them from the site?
        We have modified the list on our webpage, so now you can actually see exactly how many photos we have gathered (if any) for each plane, along with the initials of the photographers who sent us their images.

Of course not all photos we have already got are very high-quality - especially the oldest ones, notoriously hard to find. So, the more we manage to gather, the better.

Speaking of the size of the images we are looking for, the ones posted on JP usually do have a width ranging from 640 to 1280 pixels, and we consider the latter size the minimum for our project. If you have bigger files readily at hand, that would be great. In case, please send us your email address, so we can create a DropBox folder where you can drop any image you like.

Please don't hesitate to contact us at info [at] cartabianca.com in case of need.

Thanks again for your help and ciao from sunny Italy!

Comment

OK, here's a quick update of our project. The total number of images of Alitalia planes we gathered are now 324 (!!!). And of course we couldn't reach this sheer number without the invaluable help of 21 photographers who kindly sent us their images.

As expected, the most difficult images to find are the oldest ones. Namely, the photos of AZ DC3, Viscount, Caravelle, Boeing 727, 747, DC-8, DC-9 and DC-10 fleets are only a handful.

So, if you are interested in taking part to our project, just send us a PM or write to info [at] cartabianca.com

In any case, the full list of Alitalia planes, along with the images we are still looking for, is always available online.

Thanks for your help!

Diego

Comment

OK, after six months of work here is an update:

Thanks to the help of 74 spotters and photographers throughout the world, we have managed to gather 2341 images of 501 Alitalia planes out of 528. The following is the list of the planes that proved to be almost impossible to find a photo:
            • Boeing 767 EI-CMD
            • Douglas DC-3 I-LEON
            • Douglas DC-3 I-LICE
            • Douglas DC-3 I-LINA
            • Douglas DC-3 I-LONA
            • Douglas DC-3 I-LORD
            • Douglas DC-3 I-LUNA
            • Douglas DC-3 I-NEBB
            • Douglas DC-4 D-ACAB (with Alitalia livery or sticker)
            • Douglas DC-4 D-ADAR (with Alitalia livery or sticker)
            • Douglas DC-6 F-BGSN (with Alitalia livery or sticker)
            • Douglas DC-6 F-BIAM (with Alitalia livery or sticker)
            • Douglas DC-6 I-DIMC
            • Douglas DC-6 I-DIMI
            • Douglas DC-6 PH-DFK (with Alitalia livery or sticker)
            • Douglas DC-8 I-DIWD
            • Fiat G12 I-DALC
            • Fiat G12 I-DALD
            • Fiat G12 I-DALF
            • Fiat G12 I-DALG
            • Fiat G12 I-DALI
            • Sud Aviation Caravelle I-DABL (with Alitalia livery, not SAM)
            • Sud Aviation Caravelle I-DABV (with Alitalia livery, not SAM)
            • Vickers Viscount I-LAKE

If anybody thinks to have any of these photos left for decades in a drawer, or if may suggest where to look for them, we would be extremely grateful!

Thanks for your help

Diego Meozzi

Comment

Working...
            X