Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Totally unique massive system failure & unrehearsed recovery

Ok, this is 25% serious and 75% fun.

I had just lifted off in a DC-9, and the whole yoke came loose and fell in my lap.

(My MSFS yoke, that is, clamped to the desk top)

The plane was trimmed slightly nose down. I sat- momentarily frozen- as it gently began to nose-over towards the ground.

Oh no!...I might crash!!!!!

But my mind raced...AUTOPILOT! Get it ON.....NOW.....dial in a 1000 fpm climb!

I grabed the mouse and clicked furiously on the virtual autopilot knobs...autopilot on....altitude hold on (fortunately, it had a higher altitude dialed in)....Vertical speed click click click click click click click click click click..........

Soon, the plane was climbing nicely. I reattached the yoke, while begining navigation tasks...I did NOT bother to contact the tower.

It's so important to understand your systems, and be able to think on the fly!

Ok, maybe it's 90% fun 10% serious...only my virtual butt was at risk...but it was kind of fun to deal with a huge control failure and come up with a solution and save the virtual day.
    Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

yes, but did you follow the QRH? Use your memory items (yoke detachment: 1) place head between legs. 2) kiss ass good-bye)? if not, you failed even if you lived.

Comment

Originally posted by TeeVee View Post
      yes, but did you follow the QRH? Use your memory items (yoke detachment: 1) place head between legs. 2) kiss ass good-bye)? if not, you failed even if you lived.
      Total failure indeed. Additionally, I departed with an inoperative trim switch on the yoke, and wasn't paying much attention to my exact airspeed- but I had a healthy attitude/AOA.
      Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Lets not rush to judgement here..

Once the CVR transcript is released we will know more. (unless of course 3WE is in France)

Comment

Did that heppen before or after the vertical approach?

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
          --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Originally posted by TeeVee View Post
            yes, but did you follow the QRH? Use your memory items...
            Memory items for catastrophic failures:
            1) Push the "P" button on the keyboard.
            2) Think of how you are smarter than so many real pilots, since you are following the perfect, and correct memory checklist items...
            3) Open QRH and look up the problem.
            4) Address problem appropriately.

Of course if you see nothing but blue- it's not excessive nose up attitude, it's Microsoft's Blue Screeen of death....

THEN put your head between your legs...

Comment

Thats pretty cool.. So did you realized the de-icers were off before or after you ate the 14th Street Bridge ?

And did your boyfriend/co-pilot come running out of the bathroom with his pants around his ankles yelling " What is THIS ? "

Comment

LOL

.....but slightly seriously....

Aviate, navigate, communicate as I recall is the proper way to handle an emergency....which is exactly what you did.

Shame real aircraft don't have a "pause" key ?
                If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Originally posted by TheKiecker View Post
                  Thats pretty cool.. So did you realized the de-icers were off before or after you ate the 14th Street Bridge ?
                  The one truly frightening thing I did in MSFS was to program a 35 kt South wind above 900 feet and a 35 kt North wind below 700 feet....

I then proceeded to fly into DFW's 17C in a DC-10 (Not exactly right, but a 3-hole jumbo).

It really really REALLY bugged me when I gently touched down in a field about 2000 feet short of the runway.

(and I knew what the winds were going to do!)

Comment

Wrong bridge ...

Thanks for playing.

GAME OVER

Comment

Originally posted by TheKiecker View Post
                      Wrong bridge ...
                      And the wrong question.

Comment

Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
                        Shame real aircraft don't have a "pause" key ?
                        I've thought the same thing on a few occasions!
                        KC-135: Passing gas and taking names!

Comment

Working...
                        X