• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photo of 787 going around

Hey everybody,
    I just came across this picture of a LOT 787 going around at Krakow:

[photoid=7535648]

After a closer look at the photo, I noticed that it seemed the rudder was moved to the right and I was wondering why the pilots would need rudder inputs in this phase of flight. Maybe someone can shed some light
    Last edited by AJ; 2013-01-10, 22:02.

1) I understand that except druing takeoff and landing, that airliner pilots leave the rudder control essentially 100% to the yaw damper which keeps the ball nicely centered. AND all airplanes in normal winds/turbulence (especially swept wing ones) need some rudder input from time to time- even to go straight.

2) Regarding your pic- I believe (and this is just a guess) that we are seeing the beginning of a right turn*- the wings are tilted slightly that direction- and it's not unusual to need some rudder input to initiate a turn.

*or a correction for a crosswind from the right?

Bottom line- the flappy thing on the back of the vertical stabilizer is there to move back and forth to provide needed yaw inputs from time to time.
    Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Asymmetric training?

Comment

1) On closer inspection- I think I see the left aileron going down and the right one going up. More indications of a "right turn"

Originally posted by AJ View Post
        Asymmetric training?
        2)

Originally posted by Your favorite flight manual
        After departing, make a coordinated turn into the wind to maintian the aircraft's track along the runway centerline.
        Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Hi Guys, LOT is performing multiple crew training flights of Dreamliners in Krakow since first delivery (start of december), and these flights include multiple options, as one engine landing, t&g, go around, hard turns ets. so Barteks picture may be just one of many "weird" and unusual approaches
          I hope that hepled

Comment

Working...
          X