Orlando/Florida in general spotting.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Orlando/Florida in general spotting.

I'm off to Orlando for the last two weeks of May and would appreciate any tips on where to go photography wise including locations at MCO Orlando International. I'll have a car available for the whole 2 weeks. Locations have to avoid walking any more than 500 yards as my poor knees are knackered !
    Last edited by brianw999; 2013-01-24, 11:15.
    If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Hi Brian
    I haven't been to MCO myself, but I found this(the website is pretty useful for planespotting locations):

The hotel is in the terminal! And if you don't stay at the hotel:
    The hotel pool area gives very good views of the Easterly runways and also distant views of the westerlies. The airport multi storey car parks are also just a short walk away.

Comment

Brian,

there is an aviation museum at Kissimmee airport - see www.warbirdadventures.com

Also Stallion 51 is based at Kissimmee. www.stallion51.com

The folks at Stallion 51 let me have a wander round the hangar during my visit in October.

I didn't try anywhere at MCO.

TPA is meant to be pretty descent for photography with the airport allowing you to shoot from the multi story parking lot.

Mark

Comment

I don't kniw about spotting but i recommend you to visit Epcot (Disney) and to make an helicopter tour above W. disney World.
        Trust me,
        You will not regret it
        Love at the first flight

The link shows only my last flights of these last 3 years and some of 4 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Brussels Airlines View Post
          I don't kniw about spotting but i recommend you to visit Epcot (Disney) and to make an helicopter tour above W. disney World.
          Trust me,
          You will not regret it

You're right, it is an excellent trip which I took 3 or 4 years ago. Might have to have another go though.

Comment

MCO has a great deal of traffic both domestic and international but if you look at this data base....not many photos compared to KFLL and KMIA. The main reason......Airport security like no other airport in Florida. Absolute a$$h@*&s when it comes to spotters/photographers. I really have nothing positive to say but as a native of Florida......Make a combined trip to Fort Lauderdale/Miami/Opa Locka rather than trying to shoot at Orlando. Enough said. Have a good vacation while you are in Florida.

Comment

Orlando is almost a spotters nightmare...unless from the ramp. If you want to get general side on shots I would say try the the road just outside the airport, and is goes by a toll both and just park the car there and stay low.

Comment

I already tried two years ago to spot there. Its very tricky as you can't park easily your car next to the road as there are no parking signs.
                I stayed on the top of a parking garage, just to watch the ramp and not for spotting generally.

This is what you will see...

Comment

Hmmmmm ? Thanks folks, looks like MCO is out then.

Comment

Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
                    Locations have to avoid walking any more than 500 yards as my poor knees are knackered !
                    How about renting a wheelchair too and not only a car?!
                    Your wife is with you I presume so she can push you around!

Comment

Actually....I have to admit that last year in Vegas I rented a portable disability scooter. Very successful it was as well.

Comment

Rsw

If you're up for a 2-3 hr drive (depending on how heavy your foot is, or where you are driving from), or perhaps on your way to/from Miami, Southwest Florida International Airport has a semi-decent official observation area where you won't be bothered.

It does have a fence around it so I tend to stand up on the table, but a ladder would do as well, and lighting is good in the late afternoon.

It's all domestic, except for a couple daily Air Canada/WestJet flights and 3x per week AirBerlin (Tue/Thu/Sat).

Comment

Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
                          You're right, it is an excellent trip which I took 3 or 4 years ago. Might have to have another go though.
                          There are a lot of hotels in orlando near Kissimmee Airport on the W Irlo Bronson Memorial Hwy. When you are again in town you might use one of them.

Comment

Working...
                          X