Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To zoom or not?

Howdy to everyone

One big doubt has plagued me when photographing aircraft landing or taking off.
    Let's say we are at the beginning of a runway and to our left an aircraft is coming in for a landing. If I have a 70-300mm lens attached I might need full zoom at 300mm as the aircraft is approaching. However, once the plane is in front of me I have to rotate the zoom ring reducing the zoom factor to say.. 180mm.

Now here is my question to the experts. Does moving the zoom ring as an aircraft is approaching - in any way compromise the photo? Or does one need to keep a "fixed" zoom while taking photos?

Any input is most welcome. Cheers!

Originally posted by aceriana View Post
    Howdy to everyone

One big doubt has plagued me when photographing aircraft landing or taking off.
    Let's say we are at the beginning of a runway and to our left an aircraft is coming in for a landing. If I have a 70-300mm lens attached I might need full zoom at 300mm as the aircraft is approaching. However, once the plane is in front of me I have to rotate the zoom ring reducing the zoom factor to say.. 180mm.

Now here is my question to the experts. Does moving the zoom ring as an aircraft is approaching - in any way compromise the photo? Or does one need to keep a "fixed" zoom while taking photos?

Any input is most welcome. Cheers!
    Assuming you are using AI servo for focusing, then the camera should be able to continue focusing as you adjust the zoom. However it is probably good practice to take an image when not zooming in or out in order to give the camera a good opportunity to capture the image.

It should be noted that with most lenses, if you focus at one focal length (such as at 300mm) and then zoom out a bit (for example, to 260mm), the camera will need to refocus a bit again.

Ideally you need to think in advance about the composition you want to snap as the aircraft lands. Such as a close up crop at 300mm of the engine and fuselages, then followed by zooming out and photographing the whole aircraft side on at 70mm, then perhaps followed by another close up of the engine, wing and nose as it passes you at 300mm.

I hope this helps a bit,

Dave

Comment

The term for a lens keeping its focus constant throughout the zoom range is parfocal

While most cinematic zoom lenses are parfocal, very few photographic lenses are. This is due to it being a huge requirement for video, while for photography, much less so.

From Lensrentals
      The following lenses are constant focus while zooming. If its not on this list, it is not parfocal.
      Tokina: 11-16mm f/2.8
      Canon: 17-40 f/4 , 16-35 f/2.8 , 70-200 f/2.8 Non-IS
      Nikon: 17-35 f/2.8, 24-70 f/2.8 AF-S , 70-200/2.8 VR Mark I (not the Mark II)
      Micro 4/3: Panasonic 7-14 f/4
      Standard 4/3: Olympus 11-22 f/2.8-3.5
      Though i have heard dissent from some people about the list.

Many of the fixed aperture zoom lenses are quite close to being parfocal, but for best results you shouldn't be zooming when taking a photo. Although at with a modern camera and a ultrasonic AF mechanism this shouldnt be an issue.
      Sam Rudge
      A 5D3, some Canon lenses, the Sigma L and a flash

Comment

Hello Dave and Sam

Thanks a lot for your very professional answers.
        I will surely try a different approach - maybe this weekend.

One of the key suggestions you both made is - keep the zoom "fixed" on a certain focal length - that makes a lot of sense. I thought that was the best approach and you confirmed it.

Thanks again and happy spotting

Comment

Working...
        X