X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Hinkelbein View Post
    Hi dlowwa,

I've been fooling around a bit with Brightness/Contrast a little. Question: do you apply this step to adjust the Luminosity diagram, or do you adjust the Luminosity diagram first (with help of the Histogram) and afterwards apply Brightness/Contrast?
    Honestly, although many swear by the histogram/luminosity diagram, I never use them when editing my own photos, and only sometimes when screening (when I am uncertain about a particular image). So to answer your question: I can't tell you which order I use it, as I don't use that step!

Not much help for you, I know, but over the years, I've just developed an eye for what's bright enough, and what's not. Generally, the exposure/contrast get adjust twice during my editing workflow: once and the beginning, and (perhaps) once at the end.

My workflow generally goes like this:
    • Adjust Exposure/White balance in RAW file
    • Convert to Jpeg
    • Adjust crop/level/centering
    • Sharpen
    • Re-size to upload size (usually 1600 pix in my case)
    • (if needed) Final adjustment to exposure/contrast/sharpening

The final adjustment is only if I see something that needs minor adjustment, otherwise it can be skipped. Hope that helps.

Comment

• Originally posted by darrensg5 View Post
      [ATTACH=CONFIG]7413[/ATTACH]

Would this be acceptable?.....Thank you.
      Looks a little bright and high in the frame, but should be easy enough to fix.

Comment

• How would this do in screening?

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170321-_MF_1039.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	590.8 KB
ID:	1015573

Comment

• Originally posted by dlowwa View Post
          Honestly, although many swear by the histogram/luminosity diagram, I never use them when editing my own photos, and only sometimes when screening (when I am uncertain about a particular image). So to answer your question: I can't tell you which order I use it, as I don't use that step!

Not much help for you, I know, but over the years, I've just developed an eye for what's bright enough, and what's not. Generally, the exposure/contrast get adjust twice during my editing workflow: once and the beginning, and (perhaps) once at the end.

My workflow generally goes like this:
          • Adjust Exposure/White balance in RAW file
          • Convert to Jpeg
          • Adjust crop/level/centering
          • Sharpen
          • Re-size to upload size (usually 1600 pix in my case)
          • (if needed) Final adjustment to exposure/contrast/sharpening

The final adjustment is only if I see something that needs minor adjustment, otherwise it can be skipped. Hope that helps.
          Thank you, dlowwa.

Comment

• Originally posted by rjon View Post
            How would this do in screening?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]7414[/ATTACH]
            Almost backlit, so hard to say.

Comment

• Hi!

Any chance for this one?

Name:	HL7638.jpg
Size:	857.6 KB
ID:	1015575

thanks

Comment

• Originally posted by pawelm View Post
                Hi!

Any chance for this one?
                [ATTACH=CONFIG]7416[/ATTACH]

thanks
                A bit soft and low contrast, but might be fixable.

Comment

• Screening

Howdy all, I have a photo of a FedEx 757-200 N792FD doing a low air show pass over Huntington Beach, California. Would this get accepted because of its "coolness" (I guess?) of the shot? I have attached the photo.
                  Thanks,
                  -Braeden
                  Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by oc_aviation_ View Post
                    Howdy all, I have a photo of a FedEx 757-200 N792FD doing a low air show pass over Huntington Beach, California. Would this get accepted because of its "coolness" (I guess?) of the shot? I have attached the photo.
                    Thanks,
                    -Braeden
                    Hi,

The subject is too far (among other issues), so this would unfortunately be a rejection. Sorry.

Comment

• Hi there,
                      I've been a little brave and decided to clean the camera sensor myself. Could I get a comment on the attached picture, particularly with regard to any possible dust spots. Any comments gratefully received. Click image for larger version

Name:	B-6387_20170403_PVG.jpg
Size:	547.8 KB
ID:	1015578

Comment

• Hi,

Second attempt

Name:	HL7638_4.jpg
Size:	733.9 KB
ID:	1015580

Is it better now?

Thanks

Comment

• Originally posted by bobh View Post
                          Hi there,
                          I've been a little brave and decided to clean the camera sensor myself. Could I get a comment on the attached picture, particularly with regard to any possible dust spots. Any comments gratefully received. [ATTACH=CONFIG]7419[/ATTACH]
                          Don't see anything too noticeable. Screening tools should now be available for any images in the queue, so you can also use the equalize function there to check.

Comment

• Originally posted by pawelm View Post
                            Hi,

Second attempt
                            [ATTACH=CONFIG]7421[/ATTACH]

Is it better now?

Thanks
                            A bit better, but seems a bit noisier, so no promises.

Comment

• Thank you dlowwa. I only noticed the updated queue page after posting here. Looks like a very good development!

Comment

• Hello everyone!

I'm getting back into photography after a hiatus of a number of years, hence I'm a bit rusty especially when it comes to editing. As always I'm following Jid's workflow and as a start I have edited the following 2 photo as a test, just to practice a bit before uploading:

Name:	DSC_009040.jpg
Size:	661.1 KB
ID:	1015582

Original image: Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0090.jpg
Size:	751.5 KB
ID:	1015583

I also tested out the difference between JID's basic and advance workflow and found I got differing results. In the following SQ A330 photo, the top one is of the basic tutorial while the bottom is of the advanced. I feel that when I resize the image after editing, the image becomes sharper and ruined even though I haven't sharpened it myself, is my technique wrong? In fact it all feels it is oversharpened before the sharpening process. Overall the image doesn't feel as natural as the original or the ones I see on the website

Basic: Click image for larger version

Name:	BSC TUT DSC_0158.jpg
Size:	796.6 KB
ID:	1015584

Advanced: Click image for larger version

Name:	ADV TUT DSC_0158.jpg
Size:	770.8 KB
ID:	1015585

Any guidance will be much appreciated!

Edit: All these were taken with the D5200. Are there any newer/other workflows around I could try out?

Comment

Working...
                                X