Page 4 of 46 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 911

Thread: 777 Crash and Fire at SFO

  1. #61
    Senior Member B757300's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    CLL
    Posts
    1,333

    Default

    On the KTVU video, you can clearly see impact damage to the seawall so the aircraft clearly stuck it as well.

    One eyewitness said it was the main gear which hit the wall, but as always, one must be very wary of anything an eyewitness says since they are notoriously unreliable.

  2. #62
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    769

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by B757300 View Post
    On the KTVU video, you can clearly see impact damage to the seawall so the aircraft clearly stuck it as well.

    One eyewitness said it was the main gear which hit the wall, but as always, one must be very wary of anything an eyewitness says since they are notoriously unreliable.
    It would make sense since there is a part of the main gear just down the runway from where the tail came to rest. We still have no idea where the other engine is.

  3. #63
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    245

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by James Bond View Post
    WHAT?!

    I hope this is wrong
    *puts on foil hat *

    Interesting... Clear day, no wind . Plane " crashes", nobody actually sees it happen. 60 people vanish in a fenced-in air field . Actual flight distance is 500 miles more than what it was scheduled for.


  4. #64
    Senior Member B757300's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    CLL
    Posts
    1,333

    Default

    Hopefully one or both of the pilots on the UAL 747 were able to see the entire crash.

  5. #65
    Senior Member B757300's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    CLL
    Posts
    1,333

    Default

    All passengers now accounted for and as of now, only two fatalities.

  6. #66
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    519

    Default

    There were some reports that the AAR B772 struck a vehicle on the ground during the incident, has that been confirmed? Also, were the 2 fatalities pax/crew or people on the ground?

  7. #67
    Senior Member B757300's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    CLL
    Posts
    1,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by billiam View Post
    There were some reports that the AAR B772 struck a vehicle on the ground during the incident, has that been confirmed? Also, were the 2 fatalities pax/crew or people on the ground?
    That comes from some "eyewitness" who was over a mile away. I call BS on the vehicle on the ground. Haven't seen any evidence one in any video or photos. If it did hit a vehicle, it is irrelevant. You can clearly see that the seawall was struck by the aircraft before anything else could have been hit. The fatalities are from the aircraft.

  8. #68
    Member LH-B744's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    1 hr away from EDDL
    Posts
    991

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by B757300 View Post
    That comes from some "eyewitness" who was over a mile away. I call BS on the vehicle on the ground. Haven't seen any evidence one in any video or photos. If it did hit a vehicle, it is irrelevant. You can clearly see that the seawall was struck by the aircraft before anything else could have been hit. The fatalities are from the aircraft.
    That would mean, the OZ-B772ER almost tried, what only Four Star German Air Force General Mr. Chesley Sullenberger* has sucessfully tried, a water landing with a jet?
    *This is the title, that I like to provide for him.
    In my eyes, Sullenberger is THE aviation icon of the 21st century, after Howard Hughes and W.E. Boeing (20th century).

    In my avatar, you can see the KSFO seawall. So this is an evidence, how VERY low the Koreans were.
    Last edited by LH-B744; 07-07-2013 at 03:25 AM. Reason: aviation icons
    Health is the most important thing in life.
    Not the matter if you are 18, 38 or 58 years old.

    Aviation enthusiast since more than 30 years.

  9. #69
    Member AVION1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    630

    Default

    Class action lawsuit in the making...!
    A Former Airdisaster.Com Forum (senior member)....

  10. #70
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    135

    Default

    Do airports normally call in an outside fire dept. when there is a crash?

  11. #71
    Member LH-B744's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    1 hr away from EDDL
    Posts
    991

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phoneman View Post
    Do airports normally call in an outside fire dept. when there is a crash?
    Definitely NOT. At least in Germany, there exists a law that says, in xx seconds
    an emergency call by a pilot has to be realized, i.e. at least one of these neat little cars has to be exactly at the position of the emergency call:
    Oshkosh Fire Truck at Charlotte Douglas
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Blaze_1.JPG
    and this is what I see very often:
    I am not a specialist in German Intercontinental Airports Fire Truck, but this one seems very common to me.
    Last edited by LH-B744; 07-07-2013 at 04:46 AM. Reason: Charlotte Douglas vs Düsseldorf
    Health is the most important thing in life.
    Not the matter if you are 18, 38 or 58 years old.

    Aviation enthusiast since more than 30 years.

  12. #72
    Member AVION1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    630

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phoneman View Post
    Do airports normally call in an outside fire dept. when there is a crash?
    Yes, they do, and is reciprocal for any fires near or around the airport, airport fire dept. can go outside the airport and assist in any fire or emergency upon arrival of the city fire department.
    A Former Airdisaster.Com Forum (senior member)....

  13. #73
    Senior Member B757300's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    CLL
    Posts
    1,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phoneman View Post
    Do airports normally call in an outside fire dept. when there is a crash?
    The first units to respond will be those at the airport, but if additional help is needed, then yes, they'd call in units from the city proper. No airport has the emergency personnel to handle 300+ casualties and will require additional boots on the ground.

  14. #74
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    94

    Default

    This picture from the article "The latest photos" on cnn.com (its about photo #23 or so) might be (??) the elusive left engine?

    EDIT: tried to attach better image

  15. #75
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    at 1,600 metres
    Posts
    1,276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LH-B744 View Post
    That would mean, the OZ-B772ER almost tried, what only Four Star German Air Force General Mr. Chesley Sullenberger* has sucessfully tried, a water landing with a jet?
    ..................
    Japan Airlines 2 landed short of the SFO runway in 1968 with no casualties (the DC-8 aircraft was not a hull loss).

  16. #76
    Senior Member B757300's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    CLL
    Posts
    1,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by obmot View Post
    This picture from the article "The latest photos" on cnn.com (its about photo #23 or so) might be (??) the elusive left engine?

    EDIT: tried to attach better image
    Looks like it.

  17. #77
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    at 1,600 metres
    Posts
    1,276

    Default

    An Aviation Herald schematic indicates a landing strut in the water. If so the aircraft must have been really low (and perhaps not at an unusually high pitch angle).

  18. #78
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Photo posted on twitter showing an extremely high AoA

    https://twitter.com/stefanielaine/st...173696/photo/1

  19. #79
    Member LH-B744's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    1 hr away from EDDL
    Posts
    991

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by B757300 View Post
    The first units to respond will be those at the airport, but if additional help is needed, then yes, they'd call in units from the city proper. No airport has the emergency personnel to handle 300+ casualties and will require additional boots on the ground.
    Let me guarantee, that every single person that has written a letter in this thread hopes, that there will be no 300+ casualties at SF Bay Intl!

    I was born just a few months after this horrifying accident took place:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tenerife_airport_disaster
    ...and, to show that horror accidents also take place on ordinary highways, just a few months after I was born:
    Los Alfaques.

    583 dead bodies within just one single day at Los Rodeos... So, can we ask someone of the Los Rodeos fire department, are there jp members?
    Or, very much easier, let us ask Brian. Brian, whom would you call in such a case?

    PS: I remember a German TV film about Los Alfaques, imagine a relatively small hall where 60 dead bodies wait for identification. And then, imagine 3 other halls of that size. You don't want to be someone who's duty is identification...
    Last edited by LH-B744; 07-07-2013 at 05:49 AM. Reason: heavy accidents can take place everywhere.
    Health is the most important thing in life.
    Not the matter if you are 18, 38 or 58 years old.

    Aviation enthusiast since more than 30 years.

  20. #80
    Member James Bond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    43°29'04.4"S 172°31'30.7"E
    Posts
    408

    Default

    AirDisaster.com Forum Member 2004-2008

    Quote Originally Posted by orangehuggy View Post
    the most dangerous part of a flight is not the take off or landing anymore, its when a flight crew member goes to the toilet

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •