Evergreen Airlines to close

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Evergreen Airlines to close

Evergreen International Airlines Inc. — key remaining component of Evergreen International Aviation, following the sale of its helicopter division — has announced to employees by voicemail that it will be closing at the end of the month, according to current and former employees.

Calls seeking confirmation from the company were not returned.

Evergreen International Airlines on Friday issued a Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification Act, or WARN, notice to state officials stating that it “will end all operations” effective Nov. 30.

The WARN Act requires employers to alert community leaders of mass layoffs. The Department of Community Colleges and Workforce Development, which processes WARN notices, said the number of Evergreen workers to be laid off was 131.

But in a statement posted on the Evergreen International Airlines website on Friday, the company denied that a closure was immient: “While Evergreen generally does not comment on market rumor or conjecture, rumors that a decision has been made to cease operations at this time are false.”

Both the parent company and its subsidiaries, including its main air cargo subsidiary, have been straining under a massive debt burden and a stream of state and federal lawsuits. Many of the suits have resulted in adverse judgments and liens designed to enforce the terms.

The closure will eliminate most of the parent company’s remaining workforce. However, it will not affect employees of the helicopter division, now owned and operated by Erickson Air-Crane; the non-profit museum complex across the highway; or, at least in any direct way, the company’s agricultural or ground support subsidiaries.

Former employees said the air cargo arm, which once ferried freight around the world in a fleet of 747s, has been laying off employees to the point where it is already down to a skeleton force. They said this remaining employees are due for lay off as well at the end of November.
    “The only time you have too much fuel is when you’re on fire.”

Erwin

That company's been in financial trouble for quite some time now, so I don't think this was particularly unexpected.

Comment

I had a 30 hour layover in PDX so I rented a car and went to McMinnville to see the museum. I took the tour of the Spruce Goose and asked the guide about: a) the shutdown and b) how it would affect the museum. He replied that the museum should be OK since it's a 501(c)3 organization and is its own separate organization. About Evergreen Air Cargo, he said he'd seen some people who had supposedly been "laid off" and they were still working. He asked one of them about it and they guy said "don't believe everything you read..."

It sounds like the museum will be just fine. Hopefully there will be a reprieve for the cargo operation as well. Time will tell.
      The "keep my tail out of trouble" disclaimer: Though I work in the airline industry, anything I post on here is my own speculation or opinion. Nothing I post is to be construed as "official" information from any air carrier or any other entity.

Comment

Their 747's are up for sale on their website. N487EV, N488EV and N489EV.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick G View Post
          Their 747's are up for sale on their website. N487EV, N488EV and N489EV.
          And what's about this unique bird >>
          N470EV. Boeing 747-273C. JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

Where is it?

If there has ever been a problem/sales offer with EZ-B742 Supertanker, let me know it. This bird has to be preserved for the future.
          I love the B742/B747SP, she's as old as me. And even if I should change my nickname into LH-B748i, the love remains.
          Last edited by LH-B744; 2013-11-26, 19:37. Reason: She's as old as me.
          The German long haul is alive, 65 years and still kicking.
          The Gold Member in the 747 club, 50 years since the first LH 747.
          And constantly advanced, 744 and 748 /w upper and lower EICAS.
          This is Lohausen International airport speaking, echo delta delta lima.

Comment

World Airways might be next with only two MD11 pax version left, all 747/MD11 freighters stored.

Comment

Working...
            X