Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Whos phasing out 747s in the coming months

Quote Originally Posted by pawelm View Post
    And the day has come...

[...]
    Yes. No friendship lasts forever. I've watched Daryl Chapmans photos here on this platform for at least ten years or more. And, as I am a quite old guy, not the oldest but older than the young JP juniors, I was able to watch the change that Mr Chapman also perceived, from

Kai Tak
    to
    Chek Lap Kok.

AF abolished their 747 history, (1970-2015).

And CX? I am able to look that up. But in my eyes CX has always been a 747 operator. Kai Tak without a CX 747? Not possible.

And Kai Tak had been closed in 1998. So, thank you CX, for wonderful 747 photos.

CX 747 history, (1979-2016).

PS: JP members might be born just after Kai Tak was closed. Those friends become 18 this year. Mr Chapman, how old are we?
    777-9, as an idea. They are 5,000 nmi away, but they also need successors for the Queen of the Skies.

But one questions remains for me: Is this 'inflatable' wing suitable for a B777 simulator? I don't know if he is a Jetphotos member, but that'd be a perfect question for the founder of precision manuals, Captain R.R.

The 747 is always suitable, at least in Europe. And I crabbed because AA is writing looong entries. But that's what older guys do. CX pilots just take the second breakfast, so, before work they're not online. I wouldn't.
    Last edited by LH-B744; 10-14-2016 at 12:20 AM. Reason: Cathay Pacific
    70 years are not much, in terms of US-American democracy. And not either if you chose the right employer..
    Aviation enthusiast since more than 30 years.

Missed this one Moldovan cargo carrier Jet Star had one 742F, they shut down two years back.

Quote Originally Posted by LUNN View Post
    Missed this one Moldovan cargo carrier Jet Star had one 742F, they shut down two years back.
    I wonder why you don't mention this photo:
    The last KL-B744, at least for Princess Juliana.

Our 'neighbor airport' (EHAM), replaces the Dutch 744, who'll indeed never return back to that island, by an A330-200.

I have a question for Erwin. Why is KLM able to do that? Btw, I know quite precisely how many people fit in a German B744.

Wasn't there enough promo so that the seats per flight had to be reduced from more than 350 to less than 250?

Probably I should have a short discussion with Erwin: who should have promoted this former 744 destination? He or me. If we go strictly airline by airline, then
    Erwin should have said something.
    But, is he more than what I am, an aviation enthusiast? And does LH indeed promote only 1 destination on TV, e.g. in the Netherlands? In Germany, there are LH commercials on TV, but not a special destination is mentioned.
    And the other way round, have I seen a KL commercial on German TV, in the last 30 years? Probably, but that's long ago.

A B744 is not a small aircraft. We (all operators of B744 passenger version in Europe) should invite our passengers to come with us, especially if it is a kind of a monopoly destination.

When the Dutch B744 leaves Princess Juliana, there is no 744 left on this airport, and more, no European Boeing on that airport. That's a farewell, and I wonder how fast it came.

As I operate 'the different list', I was not fast enough to find out, were the Dutch 744 goes, instead of TNCM. The jetphotos answer seemed like Dorval (September 2016), but after I asked KLM, they don't confirm that for October.

ERWIN? Where are the KL-B744s?
    Last edited by LH-B744; 11-01-2016 at 03:43 AM. Reason: : ?
    70 years are not much, in terms of US-American democracy. And not either if you chose the right employer..

I'm just doing some kind of research for my long announced farewell flight for the AF-B744. And then, I thought, my list of European airlines who operate the B744 still is not correct. Let me have another try.

Air France, British Air, Corsair International, KLM, VS, and my cute small avatar. So, six intercontinental passenger airlines? Minus one, after Air France left the 747 club?

5. If that after all still might not be correct, please leave a message, here.

She hasn't been on my screen for a long time. But she gives me the destination for my AF-B744 farewell flight (soon in this theatre):
    SS-B744 in the air: http://www.jetphotos.net/photo/7789384

PS: It seems as if especially (and in my case European) 744s need a little bit of affection. As only AA 1818 showed me that BA today is not the only B744 operator on the island ...
    So, let me be precise. The home airport for the Corsair B744s is Orly. So, this'll be the dep for my AF-B744 farewell flight.

These details are not presented on online booking platforms like... monotoke dot tv (?) or expedice dot de. For these details, you need humans. An online platform does not care about who flies you on which type. I don't even know if travel agencys know that. They only give you the cheapest thing that is available.

I think we need aviation enthusiasts, e.g. LX-A343 . He surely has a quite similar question in mind as me. Which type is the successor? For both of our nicknames, the question has been answered: 748i,
    or for the Swiss, 773ER [which indeed opens a complete new discussion. What do former LX-A343 pilots do now? Et cetera et cetera.]

My philosophy is not to say haha, again one 747 less. My philosophy is to choose one type that I like and to show which regions on this planet you can discover on that a/c type.
    Last edited by LH-B744; 11-01-2016 at 04:27 AM. Reason: Many people don't know where the 747s are.

Quote Originally Posted by LH-B744 View Post
    I'm just doing some kind of research for my long announced farewell flight for the AF-B744. And then, I thought, my list of European airlines who operate the B744 still is not correct. Let me have another try.

British Air, Corsair International, KLM, VS, and my cute small avatar.
    Wamos Air
    Rossiya
    Air Atlanta Icelandic

United Parcel Service (UPS) is buying 14 747-8F aircraft with an option for an additional 14.

Quote Originally Posted by Highkeas View Post
    United Parcel Service (UPS) is buying 14 747-8F aircraft with an option for an additional 14.
    Thread is about airlines phasing them out.

Mahan Air still has one 743 flying, thought they had stopped using both a year back.

Quote Originally Posted by Highkeas View Post
    Some countries think constructively, don't we.

Good news. I just thought, whether Joe Sutter tried to sell 'his baby (748_)' until the beginning of this year, at the age of 95 (?!). But now, I know at least two airlines where he was successful.

Last edited by LH-B744; 12-21-2016 at 10:13 PM. Reason: The language barrier in action...

747 is one of the oldest airplane in the industry. it was in the industry even before the man stepped onto the moon. even though new 747's are being manufactured but their demand in the market is going down day by day.

Quote Originally Posted by cody View Post
    747 is one of the oldest airplane in the industry. it was in the industry even before the man stepped onto the moon. even though new 747's are being manufactured but their demand in the market is going down day by day.
    First of all --- A Happy New Year for all of us here at Jetphotos!

Hm. You say that big and heavy aircraft (350 passengers and more) in 2017 will not be in vogue so much, compared to 1997 (eight years after my nickname was inaugurated in Germany)?
    I don't know if I can agree with you. The market is completely different this year, I'd say. Since 2010, there is another doubledecker long haul jet in Germany, which easily flies 350 or 400 passengers to the SF Bay.

So, since that year, it is a bit of a game. 744, 748, 388, and, if there are less than 400 or 350 passengers, also the 350-900 is in the long haul competition.

Btw, I wasn't born when the first man landed on the moon. I'd love to ask Chief engineer Sutter, could be that same year, 1969?

For me it is astonishing that between 1970 and 2010, for 40 years, there only existed exactly ONE doubledecker long haul jet in Germany. You might guess the name of the jet.

PS: I am quite known for the opposite position, (in contrast to the topic here): who still flies the 747? I tried to ask Erwin, where the KL-B744s are. Today, I've found an answer:
    KL-B744 in its full beauty.

But these pictures seem to become rare. Afaik, our neighbour airport (Schiphol) also likes to drop out of the 747 club quite soon. As Roissy did it before. So if you can, take a picture, or come on board.

Quote Originally Posted by LH-B744 View Post
    who still flies the 747?
    You could always become an operator yourself. A rather gorgeous 747SP VP-BAT is presently for sale for a mere 25mil.

Quote Originally Posted by ATLcrew View Post
    You could always become an operator yourself. A rather gorgeous 747SP VP-BAT is presently for sale for a mere 25mil.
    Hm. Such an offer has already been presented to

Mr. John Travolta (*1954) by Qantas. Probably he is, besides me, one of the more famous 747 addicts. But he didn't take the best invention in long haul aviation since 1969. Travolta was on German TV together with Chief Engineer Sutter, and Travolta said, and I again re-translate... (eng-german-eng)

"I'm not a poor man. But I'm not either a sheik." Thus, Travolta decided for a 707 for his private pleasure. And that's not a bad decision.

So, I don't know who'll still operate Joe Sutters invention when she becomes 50, i.e. in the year 2019. But this one will be part of the club, still in 2 or 5 years:
    She only seems like a 747-200. That's the trick.

The Yankee Tango, born March 25th 2015, so we could call her our baby-747. There's only ONE 747 in Germany that is younger...

I'm not a man who invents commercials. But I know an airline who'll operate 747s for 50 years...

PS: And there is at least one advantage, that Travolta has, compared to me. The LH-B744 was inaugurated in 1989.
    Back then he was 35. And I was 11. So, he was old enough to sit in the F/O seat of my nickname when it was inaugurated.

But let "older men" dream of cars, or the first doubledecker jet aircraft on the planet. There is a moment when we again become
    11 years old, with eyes, big like a 747 engine.
    You can also ask Wayne Carini: although 2 or 3 years older than me, it is the same effect when he stands in front of an
    Oldsmobile Super 88, born 1958, younger than ever before.
    Men between 15 and 95 have Eyes, big like a 747 engine, , in front of beautiful machines, don't we? Within 1 second, we again are 11 years old.
    Last edited by LH-B744; 01-14-2017 at 09:56 AM. Reason: 47? is the new 37. :-D

By the end of this year, United Airlines will retire its final 747-700 about one year earlier than expected.

The airline announced on Wednesday that itwill stop using the plane because its no longer cost effective.

(snip)

Since the 747 premiered in 1970, Boeing has delivered more than 1,500 of the planes to airlines. But over the past few years, demand for the jumbo jet has decreased. Last year, Boeing warned that it may stop production on the 747.

Airline officials told employees that the plane is no longer competitive. It requires more maintenance than other aircraft in the fleet and customers are less satisfied with their experience onboard

(Snip)

Delta is the only other American airline with a 747-400 fleet. They will also retire their planes later this year.
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/united-re...091529097.html

Quote Originally Posted by B757300 View Post
    [...]
    Hm. My opinion? I don't always trust these big (or very big) weblink assemblers. At least not as long as I can find sources which are more precise.

United_Airlines, on en dot wikipedia last modified on 30 January 2017.

I don't like to quote a complete list like the UA 2017 fleet list (wikipedia), but, let me use an excerpt from that article: 20 UA-B744s, in words twenty 747-400s, are in service in February 2017?
    Let's assume that's true. So, how many B744s were originally in the UA fleet? Compared to that number, twenty is not a result that makes a Boeing fan happy... But let me try to write down the biggest 747-400 fleets (passenger version) on both sides of the Atlantic Ocean (USA and Europe), February 2017: #1 British Airways - #2 United Airlines -
    #3 hm. ? - #4 Delta - #5 KLM .

And of these five, only one airline has 'dared' to buy chief engineer Sutter's newest invention, the 747-800 (passenger version)... ? Call me impertinent, but I find that astonishing.
    That one airline which I'm talking about is not of US-American origin.

United Airlines probably has reasons why they don't buy at least one shiny new 747-800 passenger jet. It seems like a simple decision. UA flies alot of B777s, in contrast to my favourite airline. I think that UA has made a decision for the B777 and not against the 747-800.

i think it is operational. thanks

EVA will end passenger 747 services in August.

Lion Air ended 747 ops last year, Garuda will do so from April, Orient Thai have also stopped operating theirs.

Etihad Cargo have ended 747 operations too.

Everybody is free to utter his opinion. Tonight, with a special focus on the Netherlands. I don't know what his decision was, but I decided to congratulate Herman van Veen, at least for his birthday.

I declare, that our neighbour airport (Schiphol) still is our neighbour airport, by all means. And this gorgeous bird is our connection:
    Nobody wants to leave the 747 club, come on.

PS: Is a B744 a guarantee for democracy? I don't know how far Seattle goes concerning 'We know our customers.'. But this day is a good day @ Schiphol. 1 or 2 Averna due to personal happiness.
    Last edited by LH-B744; 03-16-2017 at 12:35 AM. Reason: Democracy?