Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Whos phasing out 747s in the coming months

Quote Originally Posted by AA 1818 View Post
    Where are most of these aircraft going to end up? Can most of them be converted and should have a long life ahead? Or, are they destined to be coke cans?
    I suspect that the 747 is not as economical as the 777. I recall one reason Boeing went with the 787 size was that airlines want point to point flight capability to smaller airports.

CX just operated their last 747 to N.America (SFO) and had a formal ceremony for it.
    Us, lighting a living horse on fire:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dH2_Q3oJPeU

Check it out!

Philippines are going this month, Air New Zealand in September, Garuda in November.

Quote Originally Posted by LUNN View Post
    Malaysia Airlines are using their 747s again as standby for A380 as well as additional capacity.
    This thread has been started last year, almost 12 months ago. Times change.

But when I look up the Malaysia Airlines fleet, then it says the same.
    B744F - 2 (MAS Cargo)
    B744 - 1

and to complete all the Malaysian Boeings:
    B738 - 53 +16
    B772ER - 13 (August 2014 ..... ............... .......................)

PS: The 747 is my favourite aircraft since... not my birth, because on my HomeAirport there have not been so many 747s over the years. But, in 1998 I've read a newspaper article about Kai Tak (damn, I don't wanna solve my own quiz ), and since then I know that B742s are displayed in 1 or 2 museums on this planet.

The B742 is as old as me. So, this is 747 enthusiasm since... 20 years lets say. And 747 operators were really wide spread...
    Air Canada 742, Braniff 741 & 742 (effective Jan 1980), Scandinavian Airlines 747, Singapore B744 (zero 747s today), South African B744 (that's also history, since 2010), ...

But there are airlines where the 747 is alive*: Air France, Cathay Pacific, KLM, Qantas, ...

*this is what is more important in my eyes, in contrast to "who does no longer fly the 747"

PSII: This is generation transfer, isn't it? I don't know how old LUNN is, but in general, and in most of the forums where I am active, there are members who are half as old as me. And that's not a bad thing, I hope the youngsters also have a favourite aircraft, e.g. the 787.
    The 787 regularly visits my HomeAirport, in contrast to the 747.

PSIII: Another past and now, jp still makes me wonder after 6 years, in the last 5 minutes I have learned that "Vunala Dreaming" does not exist any longer. The B744ER (VH-OEJ) is alive, but she does no longer look like this:
    One QF-B744ER, no longer in this brilliant livery
    Last edited by LH-B744; 08-20-2014 at 10:02 PM. Reason: 747 operators past and now (alphabetic)
    LH also has a intercontinental history, the Hamburg - Düsseldorf - Shannon - NYC route, open since June 1st, 1955.
    A/C type: Lockheed Super Constellation.
    The operator on the DUS - NYC route, on the DUS - BKK route, and on the shiny new DUS - LAS nonstop route? EW, one of the dearest LH daughters .

Aviation enthusiast since more than 30 years. A whole decade here on this platform.

Kenya Airways Cargo also stopped operating their single 744BCF leased from Martinair which has since been phased out by MP who now only fly the KLM ones.

Kenya Airways Cargo also stopped operating their single 744BCF leased from Martinair which has since been phased out by MP who now only fly the KLM ones.
    Martinair will continue operating PH-MPS. One ERF (PH-CKD) will be removed from the fleet.
    “The only time you have too much fuel is when you’re on fire.”

Erwin

Whats your source? as for the Malaysia Airlines 744 it flew to Amsterdam and Kiev carrying relatives of MH117 victims no other flights since by it.

Whats your source? as for the Malaysia Airlines 744 it flew to Amsterdam and Kiev carrying relatives of MH117 victims no other flights since by it.

My source? I work at Martinair......
    PH-CKD will leave in November.
    Last edited by ErwinS; 09-17-2014 at 07:25 PM.

Erwin

So why didnt you break news here first about your company when AF-KL announced plans.

So why didnt you break news here first about your company when AF-KL announced plans.
    Why should I? The news was out and we heard it just a day before the press statement.

Besides that, it is not really allowed to bring intern news to social media

Erwin

Did people here know you are with MP till you mentioned it a few posts back? we would have just thought you picked the info online.

Did people here know you are with MP till you mentioned it a few posts back? we would have just thought you picked the info online.
    Maybe but I am not the only MP guy active here

Erwin

I knew he works for Martinair. I also know his full name and his fathers and I know where he lives.
    On the other hand LUNN, we don't know who you work for, we don't know what you real name is, we don't know how old you are, and we don't know where you live.
    These details should be made public immediately.
    If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

China Southern have also stopped operating the two 744F, when did this happen?b both now with Vision air making them the first 744 operator in Pakistan.

Updates PIA will ground their last 747 after hajj operations, Garuda have extended 747 ops to January their one and only was due to get parked next month.

Kam Air have reintroduced 747F in their fleet, but its minus livery.

And today, DL announced the retirement of their 744s as well, though they'll continue to fly them for nearly 3yrs.

Check it out!

China Southern have also stopped operating the two 744F, when did this happen?b both now with Vision air making them the first 766 operatir in Pakistan.
    744. Both were retired aug/sept 2013 by CZ. Saudia will lease them from Vision.

Erwin

Quote Originally Posted by ConcordeBoy View Post
    And today, DL announced the retirement of their 744s as well, though they'll continue to fly them for nearly 3yrs.
    I have a feeling they would have been gone sooner, if it weren't for various bidding fences and protections for senior ex-NW crews that fly them.

Quote Originally Posted by ATLcrew View Post
    I have a feeling they would have been gone sooner, if it weren't for various bidding fences and protections for senior ex-NW crews that fly them.
    Indeed. Because as hard as it is for some av-geeks to admit/cope with, the 747 is now the lingering relic of a bygone era. Basically what the DC10s and L1011s were to the previous decade.

We've now got smaller aircraft that can (generally) compete with it on CASM, exceed it on range, and kill it on RASM.... which is why the amortized 744s still can't be discarded fast enough, and why the 748i can't be sold worth a damn.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Boeing wrap 747 production within the next few years. The 779 could use that space.

Check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by ConcordeBoy View Post
    From today's AIAA newsletter:

Delta To Retire Its Boeing 747s By 2017.
    USA Today (10/16, Mutzabaugh) reported that Delta Air Lines CEO Richard Anderson said during an earnings call that the airline will finish retiring its fleet of Boeing 747s by 2017. According to the article, the news comes as industry analysts speculate that Boeing may have to end the production line “sooner rather than later,” especially because of “tepid” sales of the 747-8 Intercontinental. Several airlines have chosen to replace their 747s with two-engine widebody jets like the Boeing 777 and Airbus A330 that can fly for “comparable distances” on less fuel, even if they do seat fewer passengers. The article noted that Boeing is “steadfast” in its support of the plane.