Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Whos phasing out 747s in the coming months

Corsair International (Paris Orly, France) always use 3 744 F-GTUI, F-HSUN, F-HSEA.
    The first 744 CRL will be phase out in 2020, the second one in 2021 with the arrival of first Airbus A330-900.

https://www.aeroport-paris-orly.com/previsions

Jean-Charles
    aeroport-paris-orly.com

Quote Originally Posted by ATLcrew View Post
    Is that VP-BAT? Who bought it?
    Good question. I just wonder if that weren't a good bird for a museum somewhere in Germany, or somewhere. A 747 SP, so, inauguration flight July 1975.

In total, 44 Boeing 747SP have been built between 1975 and 1982. So, the youngest 747SP today is 37 years old. Ah, finally I've found a source, in German, but I can translate if you want.
    https://www.aerotelegraph.com/luxus-...-boeing-747-sp

Qatari 747SP for sale, the previous owner: the emir of Qatar. But this is a source which was published in 2016. And the a/c is born March 30th 1979. So, 40 years old. You can buy it, I can buy it.

ATL, why don't you. No fix price, so smile and say a number.

PS: LUNN knows the procedure.. he mentions 1 owner who sells a 747, and I mention 5 who fly the Jumbo Jet.
    1. Aviation beauty in cinemascope, THE silhouette, from wingtip to wingtip, senior members choice, worthy of an award.
    Virgin Atlantic B744 shows a picture book arrival, August 2018
    2. The well known airline who recently deleted the date for their last 747 flight (?!):
    An English B744 in New York, May 2019
    3. Who recently deleted the date for their last 747 flight (an idea was the year 2018, but a quite brilliant platform shows that this is not true):
    Type Qantas B744ER, we are rolling.
    Destination? Chek Lap Kok?
    4. Ahm. Only one of the less important competitors. Member of the Boeing 747 club since 1970.
    The Victor Papa shows THE colors for a tailfin, Rio Galeao, April 2019

.... ...
    Last edited by LH-B744; 06-06-2019 at 01:08 AM. Reason: A Living Legend.
    LH also has a intercontinental history, the Hamburg - Düsseldorf - Shannon - NYC route, open since June 1st, 1955.
    A/C type: Lockheed Super Constellation.
    The airline code since a few weeks is no longer LH, but the operator stays the same on the DUS - NYC route ...

Aviation enthusiast since more than 30 years. A whole decade here on this platform.

My only flight on an SP was the shortest 747 flight I ever made, China Airlines from Taipei to Hongkong. When introduced in the 70s, it was the ultra long haul airliner of its day.

Quote Originally Posted by LH-B744 View Post
    Good question. I just wonder if that weren't a good bird for a museum somewhere in Germany, or somewhere. A 747 SP, so, inauguration flight July 1975.

In total, 44 Boeing 747SP have been built between 1975 and 1982. So, the youngest 747SP today is 37 years old. Ah, finally I've found a source, in German, but I can translate if you want.
    https://www.aerotelegraph.com/luxus-...-boeing-747-sp

Qatari 747SP for sale, the previous owner: the emir of Qatar. But this is a source which was published in 2016. And the a/c is born March 30th 1979. So, 40 years old. You can buy it, I can buy it.

ATL, why don't you. No fix price, so smile and say a number.
    My sources tell me the current asking price is $9.5 million including a fresh C check and new paint. Sounds like the Qataris basically dumped it. They were originally asking $25 million. I'd love to buy it, I'm not sure a cooler personal airplane exists. Paint it probably in 747SP prototype house colors. Do angel flights and airshows. That would be fun!

My sources tell me the current asking price is $9.5 million including a fresh C check and new paint. Sounds like the Qataris basically dumped it. They were originally asking $25 million. I'd love to buy it, I'm not sure a cooler personal airplane exists. Paint it probably in 747SP prototype house colors. Do angel flights and airshows. That would be fun!
    I guess that purchasing the plane is the least of the costs. How much is just a hangar for it, per year? How much is a flight hour? Fuel, allowances for maintenance, crew of 3 required (and you CAN'T pay them by the flight hour unless you guarantee a minimum of flight hours per month, you likely need to pay them just to have them available, and you need to keep them current too).

So how many millions per year if you fly say 300 hours per year?

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
    --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    I guess that purchasing the plane is the least of the costs. How much is just a hangar for it, per year? How much is a flight hour? Fuel, allowances for maintenance, crew of 3 required (and you CAN'T pay them by the flight hour unless you guarantee a minimum of flight hours per month, you likely need to pay them just to have them available, and you need to keep them current too).

So how many millions per year if you fly say 300 hours per year?
    I actually ran some rough numbers on this just because why not? The fuel will be roughly $100,000 per fillup. So, at 25 hours a month, let's call it 3 fillups a month, so that puts us at $3.6M per year in fuel. It's on Boeing's Low Utilization Maintenance Program, whereby a lot of stuff is just paid per month, plus with fresh C check it should be good for major stuff for a while, plus it comes with a lot of stuff already, so I'd be comfortable with $1.5M yearly routine Mx budget, which translates to about $5,000/hr on top of the LUMP itself which is probably that much again. There actually are contract pilots available for this sort of work, and yes, you do pay them (or their agency) by the hour. Still, with hotels, per diem etc, just to use round numbers, let's go with $1000/hr per crewmember. So, that's another $300,000 per year. A hangar big enough for that thing would be hard to find, so might have to build one. That's at least $10M, plus we add parking/landing fees at destination, so let's go with another $1M per year in parking/hangaring. Add various incidental costs (catering, limos etc), probably another $1M. So, I come up with +/- $9M/year, which is $30,000/hr, which for an airplane that awesome is probably not that bad.

I actually ran some rough numbers on this just because why not?
    Exactly!

So, I come up with +/- $9M/year, which is $30,000/hr, which for an airplane that awesome is probably not that bad.
    Not saying it is bad, but it is more than what most (almost all) mortals can afford.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---

Exactly!

Not saying it is bad, but it is more than what most (almost all) mortals can afford.
    MOST mortals can't afford a VW Beetle.

MOST mortals can't afford a VW Beetle.
    True. But the fraction of people who can't afford a 747 SP is much much MUCH closer to 100% than those who can't afford a VW Beetle. You and I, for example.

While most mortals can't afford a VW Beetle, the fraction that can is at least a few % points.
    On the other hand, the fraction that can afford a 747 SP can be rounded to the second decimal point percent as 0.00%.

True. But the fraction of people who can't afford a 747 SP is much much MUCH closer to 100% than those who can't afford a VW Beetle. You and I, for example.

While most mortals can't afford a VW Beetle, the fraction that can is at least a few % points.
    On the other hand, the fraction that can afford a 747 SP can be rounded to the second decimal point percent as 0.00%.
    Very well, you have convinced me, I'll go with this instead.

https://www.controller.com/listings/...5-douglas-dc-3

Beautiful.