Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Whos phasing out 747s in the coming months

Quote Originally Posted by pawelm View Post
    On 11th Jan Air France made their last passenger flight on B744.
    Yes. So, what can I say? Enjoy us. We are Dinosaurs. We might die out.

Le Bourget is announcing the latest news in aviation. And ten years ago, they announced what? Not the 747, who is as old as me....

HUGE instead of big is a French invention. So, Is it logical that France lets the 747 die, as the third big European nation?
    Italy -- I hope we can preserve photos of this nightblue AZ-B747s...
    Spain -- Again, only photos will show the IB-747s
    France -- Again... F-GITH is only a simulator ruin.

But, together with Erwin (NL), I dared a look into the future. Maybe, KL soon operates 35 triple7s, instead of
    (don't force me to exact numbers)
    12 x 777 and
    23 x 747.

And France? Airbus is a French invention, isn't it. Is it possible that a future AF fleet only consists of Airbuses? Not really. That would be too boring.
    AF-B777 and, of course, (no, I don't mention it because i love the number), AF B787.

We have to read the signs. This is a sign:
    No 747 is alive.

But also the newer inventions have their place. NH 78 78 is always welcome at my home airport.
    LH also has a intercontinental history, the Hamburg - Düsseldorf - Shannon - NYC route, open since June 1st, 1955.
    A/C type: Lockheed Super Constellation.
    The operator on the DUS - NYC route, on the DUS - BKK route, and on the shiny new DUS - LAS nonstop route? EW, one of the dearest LH daughters .

Aviation enthusiast since more than 30 years. A whole decade here on this platform.

Quote Originally Posted by pawelm View Post
    On 11th Jan Air France made their last passenger flight on B744.
    The German wikipedia is not helpful with French 747s. Do you know a little bit more?

Registration?

departure?

arrival? Let me guess, if I had to choose an airport to finish the last AF-B747 flight ever, there are only two options:
    Charles deGaulle
    or
    Le Bourget. parking position: the museum!

procedure: A farewell with a fountain?

F-GITH was a true companion, and accident free afaik.
    Not all jets grow up like this one (4U ...).
    It's a shame. I'll show a tribute flight in the jp simulator section.

PS: Dorval is a good tribute flight for a 747. And the internet is not a good tombstone. Good things are deleted very soon (outside of our cute little jp world).
    Thus, let me engrave some words:
    She provided 36 C seats (with a 61 pitch) and 398 standard seats. And she was good for more than 6,000 nmi with MTOW. She really did not die because of range, as a few people said.

A last two questions, pawelm.
    Do you know the age of F-GITH?
    And when was Air France beginning with their very first 747 flights? I know that AF-B742s were in the air very early.
    747s don't survive when they are as old as me (soon 28, or 18... ).

The AF-B747 program, Rest in Peace. After more than 35 years (my rough guess).
    Last edited by LH-B744; 01-25-2016 at 05:52 AM. Reason: Dorval will be a good tribute flight. Stay tuned.
    LH also has a intercontinental history, the Hamburg - Düsseldorf - Shannon - NYC route, open since June 1st, 1955.
    The operator on the DUS - NYC route, on the DUS - BKK route, and on the shiny new DUS - LAS nonstop route? EW, one of the dearest LH daughters .

Aviation enthusiast since more than 30 years. A whole decade here on this platform.

Default 35 years were only a rough guess...

Only one link in one post?

jp provides real aviation treasures, I really love it.

http://www.jetphotos.net/photo/9902

A history of 45 years of AF-B747s has found an end. Well, this is probably worth more than just 1 tribute flight.

B747-100, I have never stood beside one in my life. What a great photo.

Pilots go to work on a bicycle.

Vision Air an ACMI operator in Pakistan have stopped flying their one and only 747-200F, its now with another operator.

Iran's Mahan Air have also stopped operating their 747s, they had two 300 series.

743 is now with following:

Max Air of Nigeria, Passenger charter 3-5
    Saudia VIP Royal flight division 1
    Aquilene International of Georgia, Cargo 1

Quote Originally Posted by LUNN View Post
    Malaysia Airlines are using their 747s again as standby for A380 as well as additional capacity.
    This is an interesting astory at MAS. The 747s are only online again (in small numbers) to supplement capacity as the A380s go through heavy maintenance/checks. With the complete removal of the 777 fleet at MAS, the A380s went from being 'excess' to being necessary (and their recent efforts to rid themselves their A380 fleet have died down). Here's to hoping that MAS finds Her footing, and soon.
    Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

Quote Originally Posted by AA 1818 View Post
    This is an interesting astory at MAS. The 747s are only online again (in small numbers) to supplement capacity as the A380s go through heavy maintenance/checks. With the complete removal of the 777 fleet at MAS, the A380s went from being 'excess' to being necessary (and their recent efforts to rid themselves their A380 fleet have died down). Here's to hoping that MAS finds Her footing, and soon.
    Always a pleasure to write next to a 100% aviation insider. As far as I know, not a single German airport today provides a nonstop flight to Kuala Lumpur, and that includes also every aircraft that is owned by the LH group (!).
    There might be or have been one or two reasons for that...

I find something astonishing in this story. Our 'neighbours' in Amsterdam probably could mention the most heavy reason to avoid Malaysia. But according to en wiki, the KLM heavies go to Kuala Lumpur (again).

I expect something like a renaissance for the destination Kuala Lumpur. And why not on board a B744?

Erwin should be able to say which a/c types in the fleet of Koninklijke Luchtvaart are used for Malaysia.

Since the French have abolished their 747 history (since 1971?!), there are only a few airlines left in Europe, who today operate "the Jumbo"...

Greetings to Amsterdam.

In remembrance of an early jetphotos advocate from downunder, I like to continue the list "747 operators in 2016"...

QF-B744ER. She still is in the air. But I haven't read him for a while.

When I became a jp member really nothing saw like ... my 747 would survive his 767. But things are as they are. Good to see that he is online, from time to time...

PS: Hm. 1966 seems to have been a good year, not only for chief executive officers in Europe. And I am very happy that he has found us, or the company has found him. And I don't talk about QF. I know that "leading positions" are subject to be changed from time to time. But not all chiefs are coming in with a deep knowledge of what they are selling. Never change a winning team, that also goes for the northern hemisphere.
    Last edited by LH-B744; 05-05-2016 at 04:10 AM. Reason: say a yob for the chief executive officer of a major intercontinental airline...

I was reading a news article earlier this evening, stating that DELTA Airlines will be retiring their ex-Northwest 747's by 2017.

Quote Originally Posted by AA 1818 View Post
    I thought A380s only do London and airlienroute has said the 747 on that route as was planned from this month has been dropped so it continues with the Airbus.

Iran Air have stopped operating passenger 747-200 they had three Combi versions.

742 still with following

Iran Air Cargo
    Iran Air Force one operated by Caspian Airlines of Iran
    Uni Top Airlines cargo of China
    Kalitta Air cargo of USA
    Rolls Royce North America
    US Air Force
    The Cargo Airlines of Georgia, operating for Kam Air of Afghanistan
    Kabo Air charter of Nigeria
    AHS Air cargo of Pakistan
    Avia Trans Export cargo of Belarus
    Continental Airways cargo of Moldova

I thought A380s only do London and airlienroute has said the 747 on that route as was planned from this month has been dropped so it continues with the Airbus.
    I would not doubt that, and you are correct on the count that the A380s only serve the LHR route.

The two airlines have signed a code share deal that will allow Malaysia customers to book routes to Europe with Emirates, while in exchange Malaysia will offer Emirates passengers connections within the Asia Pacific region.

Mueller told Reuters the deal would allow Malaysia to avoid making losses on routes to Europe because it would stop flying to Amsterdam and Paris with its own planes from the end of January and instead book customers onto flights operated by Emirates.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-ma...0TL23Y20151202
    To explain;
    - MAS quit all other European destinations (to be fair, the only remaining European footprint was LHR, CDG and AMS).
    - MAS then signed this deal with EK (very similarly to what QF has done),
    - retired the 777s,
    - and focused on the A380s on LHR.

The lack of available aircraft to substitute (as now - the second largest aircraft, in the regularly operating fleet - is the A330, which is not capable of KUL-LHR non-stop), left MAS with a bit of a pickle in dealing with maintenance of the A380 fleet. As with QF, the planes that are there, are stretched thin - onto long routes, with extensive pressures to operate the aircraft profitably - so fleet utility is high. The 747s returned temporarily (with the added benefit of very low fuel prices) to support some of the strain. I assume that they have now cleared that backlog of work and so can focus back to regular operations.
    Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

The 747 never got to fly to London.

The 747 never got to fly to London.
    Amazing. America and Asia is talking about 747s, especially about MH-B744?
    Let Europe participate.

Hm. LUNN, I think you are wrong. You use the jetphotos platform since more than 10 years, and you haven't seen this one?

MH-B744 at LHR.

Since my post #88, Erwin did not participate here. So, let me be the European office for nonstop flights to Kuala Lumpur.
    KL 809
    AMS - KUL nonstop in exactly 12 hours, on board a KL-B772.

In 2016, there are three airlines in Europe who operate the 747 (passenger version):
    BA,
    KL,
    and
    LH.

But Malaysia today is not a 747 destination. BA uses the famous 78 7 . Times change, I don't know if WMKK again becomes a LH-B744 destination:

LH-B744 in Malaysia.
    Last edited by LH-B744; 05-28-2016 at 01:55 AM. Reason: 747 in Europe.

Default Who provides 747 flights? Not only Star Alliance.

Malaysia seems not to be a perfect example, if we talk about 747s.

Again I have to say "sorry Peter", but without abbreviations you can't really describe intercontinental aviation.

TG-B744 is a better example. Suvarnabhumi. Star Alliance in Thailand. And they really provide an attractive B744 livery. I should mention them in the simulator section.

Who really abolished the national 747 history? Air France (1971-2015).

But several airlines who are much older than LH stay with the 747:
    El Al
    Qantas
    UA
    and
    KL.

So, I don't feel that 747s disappear from the sky.

Malaysian 747s were indeed regular visitors to Heathrow over many years. Also frequent visitors to Manchester back in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by HalcyonDays View Post
    Malaysian 747s were indeed regular visitors to Heathrow over many years. Also frequent visitors to Manchester back in the day.
    I meant the retro 744 will not be used to London as was planned.

Are Kalitta still flying the 747-200F, they had three remaining few months back.

AHS Air Cargo of Pakistan are selling both their 742F.