Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad Info - Genre, Categories, Photo date, etc.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad Info - Genre, Categories, Photo date, etc.

Please post your queries about Genre, Categories, Photo date, etc., here!
    Last edited by bleuair; 2023-05-29, 16:05. Reason: merged threads

How about a warbird? Not actively flying for the military but painted in former mil colors, carrying a civilian registration. Should this be military genre?
    View my photos at JP.Net
    Home Airport: Jackson - Evers Int'l (JAN) - Jackson, MS
    Camera: Canon 50D, 100-400L/17-85 lenses

Comment

No Bruce, if it is on the civil register it should appear as 'Civilian' with the Warbird/Vintage category selected.

Comment

thanks!
        View my photos at JP.Net
        Home Airport: Jackson - Evers Int'l (JAN) - Jackson, MS
        Camera: Canon 50D, 100-400L/17-85 lenses

Comment

Just had a few rejections for 'Genre'.

To me, 'Genre' means style, type or class, so an aircraft that was conceived and designed to serve in the military should remain within the 'Military' genre irrespective of its current operator.

From the information given above by AJ, it appears that the term 'Genre' is being misused in this context and maybe should be changed to 'Operator'. At the very least, an explanation should be added to the upload page to clarify matters.

Thoughts?

Comment

Simpler :

civil registration -> civil in most cases (some Air Force do use civil regs as well ,olike France fro example)

military -> military reg.

So if a former military aircraft joins the warbird circus it becomes civil. Otherwise we woudl soon having even more complicated discussions. Is a Cessna O-1 now in civil hands military or civil according to oyur defintion ?

Comment

Like I say, maybe a change of wording would be in order to make things clearer. It should be changed to 'Genre' of the aircraft OPERATOR, rather than 'Genre' of the aircraft itself, as it appears that the 'Genre' of the aircraft is actually irrelevant in this instance.

Comment

In all honesty Jez we don't get many issues with the use of genre. It doesn't seem to cause much confusion.

The 'Operator' of the aircraft is listed in the airline field. Your use of 'Private' in this field would refer to a civilian operator!

Comment

Originally posted by AJ
                  In all honesty Jez we don't get many issues with the use of genre. It doesn't seem to cause much confusion.

The 'Operator' of the aircraft is listed in the airline field. Your use of 'Private' in this field would refer to a civilian operator!
                  I've not had any issues with 'genre' either until now.

If, as you say, the 'genre' is defined by the 'operator' field, then why bother having the 'genre' field at all?

Let's say that I'm a punter that's only interested in military aircraft (which I happen to be) and don't really care about the operator of such aircraft. I go to your front page, select military in the 'genre' drop-down. From this search I would expect to see all of the military aircraft in the database, but in actual fact I only get to see the aicraft that are operated by the military. Do you see my point? I'm missing out on the civilian registered military type/style/genre aircraft.

Comment

That is the main reason we have the 'Warbird' category.

Comment

But I just don't just want to see Warbirds (which, BTW is not even a searchable category from the front page drop-down), I want to see all Military style/type/genre aircraft.

The fact that there is a 'Genre' field and an 'Airline/Operator' field implies that they are independant of each another and it is permissable to have a military aircraft with a civilian operator. You have now informed me that they are dependant on each other, so I ask again. Why the two fields?

Comment

Jez, Chris and Gabe have spent many hours writing scripts to categorise and sort photo data. 99.99% of visitors seem to have no problem navigating the site and finding the photos they desire. I clearly am unable to satisfy your wants for the site so may I suggest emailing the administration address with your concerns.

Comment

Originally posted by seahawk
                          Simpler :

civil registration -> civil in most cases (some Air Force do use civil regs as well ,olike France fro example)

military -> military reg.

So if a former military aircraft joins the warbird circus it becomes civil. Otherwise we woudl soon having even more complicated discussions. Is a Cessna O-1 now in civil hands military or civil according to oyur defintion ?
                          How about a situation recantly where an ex RAF Hunter was on the G- reg but placed back onto the RAF register but is still civilian owned and flown i believe by civilian pilots?

Comment

In that case I would recommend to check civil because of the civil registration. However I would also accept military (or change to civil in screening) with the info you just gave. Kind of a borderline case, were there are good reasons for both genres.

Comment

Hi All,
                              Is the category of something like VH-XSA or even VH-BOB Warbird and also small prop?

Thanks,
                              Mehdi.
                              Last edited by mnazarinia; 2008-02-25, 13:34.

Comment

Working...
                              X