Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gimli Glider

Hey guys.

Wanted to ask something about the gimli glider. Actually, about possibly restoring it and bringing it back to Canada from Mojave. Costs would be in the early 7 digit range.
    I'm actually currently trying to understand pro and cons about a project like this and having to attempt bringing 604 back.

I need your opinion, advice, or suggestions. If I reach out to the online aviation community across this and few other websites, what's the likelyhood of someone donating (whatever amount) for a cause like bringing the Gimli Glider back?

Questions from anyone are also welcome

US Airways 1549 is on display down in the Carolina's Aviation Museum. But did the Gimli Glider ever attract as much media attention as "Scully's" landing in the Hudson. They even had 24/7 coverage of the fuselage as it traveled not far from my house.

Where in Canada are you going to put it and who's going to man the booth to answer the question ... "That don't look like no glider to me, what is it?"

My point is Scully is a household name but even as a former sail plane jock I can't tell you the name of the Captain who did that drag strip landing. But, I'll sure as hell bet that he beat the guy in the lane next to him with a better trap time even while standing on the brakes.

You just may have invented a new form of "Bracket Racing", see who can cut the power a mile or so out and come closest to matching the time over a few runs. My money would be on Bob Hoover.
    Live, from a grassy knoll somewhere near you.

Comment

Originally posted by guamainiac View Post
      My point is Scully is a household name but even as a former sail plane jock I can't tell you the name of the Captain who did that drag strip landing.
      1) Maybe Scully isn't as well known as you think...

and 2) Did the Gimli guys not botch the fuel management to some extent???

I seem to recall that it wasn't gross mismanagement nor their complete fault...but some botching of tracking fuel use/loss...

...I mean maybe Sully could have dodged the birds better, but the general thought is that his performance was decent.
      Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Originally posted by 3WE View Post
        Did the Gimli guys not botch the fuel management to some extent???

I seem to recall that it wasn't gross mismanagement nor their complete fault...but some botching of tracking fuel use/loss...
        The fuel gauges were inop. In violation of the procedures, they decided to make the flight and took the precaution to ask for a number of kilos of fuel that was well in excess of what they legally needed for the flight, but they got exactly that amount of pounds, which resulted well less than what they needed to make the flight (let alone "legally").

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
        --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
          The fuel gauges were inop. In violation of the procedures, they decided to make the flight and took the precaution to ask for a number of kilos of fuel that was well in excess of what they legally needed for the flight, but they got exactly that amount of pounds, which resulted well less than what they needed to make the flight (let alone "legally").
          Let's not also forget that also during the time in 1983, Canada recently adopted the metric system that replaced in imperial. That is what caused the original confusion to begin with.

The case of Sully and US 1549, I can think of a few differences. Firstly, Most Canadians don't take their history seriously, while Americans and many other places in the places do. And Captain Bob Pearson wasn't immediately called a hero like Sully was. Back than it was all different. Before 1983, airlines trained pilots to land planes on one engine only back than. After Gimli, airlines all around the world updated their training procedures to include landings when both engines were inoperable. Some argue, that without that Gimli incident, that Captain Sully wouldn't have gotten the training/experience to land US 1549 into the Hudson.

Back to the original topic though. The Gimli Glider, by the way, if a miracle happens that it returns to Canada, the town of Gimli is ready to take it and use it as historical monument + tourist attraction. This is why I'm asking, if aviation enthusiasts online are presented with the opportunity to donate whatever amount to help to bring the Gimli Glider back and save it, would they do it?

Comment

You would need a few thousands of internet aviation enthusiasts donating a few thousands dollars each to make the few thousands millions bucks you need. Or a few dozens of thousand donating a few hundreds.

Tough.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---

Comment

Are you thinking of restoring it to flight condition (a.k.a. airworthy) to make one final flight to a museum? If so, wouldn't it be cheaper find a way to transport it by ground, like they did with the Miracle of the Hudson?

Comment

Gabriel is right, as usual. Restoring it to flight condition is a non-starter for a range of reasons. However, trucking it and reassembling it on site might be feasible, though even that will require deep pockets.

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
                  Are you thinking of restoring it to flight condition (a.k.a. airworthy) to make one final flight to a museum? If so, wouldn't it be cheaper find a way to transport it by ground, like they did with the Miracle of the Hudson?
                  604 is only in storage, it won't take much to return it to flying condition. Paperwork with the FAA for a ferry permit I'd think would be more of a hassle. Plan right now is to bring 604 back to Gimli, or to put it into a museum (such as Ottawa Air & Space).
                  Transporting it by ground adds alot of complications. Road closures, permits, border crossing etc. Too much. Flying it over will actually be cheaper.

Originally posted by HalcyonDays View Post
                  Gabriel is right, as usual. Restoring it to flight condition is a non-starter for a range of reasons. However, trucking it and reassembling it on site might be feasible, though even that will require deep pockets.
                  Of course, people with deep pockets would be nice but doubtful they'd help out. Bring the glider back would be around 2.4-2.6 million USD, and that's when you take into account any and every expense.

To make numbers seem less scary, 260 000 people would have to donate $10 or 7 euros, to save the aircraft. This website, along with a few others, together have traffic that is 3x that number. That's why when I'd be able to take in donations, I wouldn't worry about how much people donate, just the quantity. The more people the better.
                  I wouldn't want or expect 260 000 people online to donate, my goal would be around the 75 000 number. Aviation is a world wide passion shared among many, with people knowing people everywhere. And online, the community is huge and divided among many websites with high amount of visitors per month. This site alone I read somewhere has 900,000 visitors per month (please do correct me if I'm wrong).

Thus, leads me to wonder, if people are presented with a good case on this topic, would they actually help to bring back the plane by donating?

Comment

Originally posted by LOT747-400 View Post
                    604 is only in storage, it won't take much to return it to flying condition. Paperwork with the FAA for a ferry permit I'd think would be more of a hassle. Plan right now is to bring 604 back to Gimli, or to put it into a museum (such as Ottawa Air & Space).
                    Transporting it by ground adds alot of complications. Road closures, permits, border crossing etc. Too much. Flying it over will actually be cheaper.

Of course, people with deep pockets would be nice but doubtful they'd help out. Bring the glider back would be around 2.4-2.6 million USD, and that's when you take into account any and every expense.

To make numbers seem less scary, 260 000 people would have to donate $10 or 7 euros, to save the aircraft. This website, along with a few others, together have traffic that is 3x that number. That's why when I'd be able to take in donations, I wouldn't worry about how much people donate, just the quantity. The more people the better.
                    I wouldn't want or expect 260 000 people online to donate, my goal would be around the 75 000 number. Aviation is a world wide passion shared among many, with people knowing people everywhere. And online, the community is huge and divided among many websites with high amount of visitors per month. This site alone I read somewhere has 900,000 visitors per month (please do correct me if I'm wrong).

Thus, leads me to wonder, if people are presented with a good case on this topic, would they actually help to bring back the plane by donating?
                    If you're serious about this - here's a few ways that you can help the cause a little and bring you closer to the goal.

Get Social - start a grass roots campaign, start a social profile, start a kickstarter.

Speak with the local government - sell it to them as a tourist attraction that will bring money into the local economy. Let them help, and accept what changes you're comfortable with.

Get some publicity - speak with local and national news networks and try to bring in some endorsements (the more local, the better).

In so much, it's an up-hill battle, but could be worth it.

Best of luck.
                    Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

Comment

Working...
                    X