Malaysia Airlines Loses Contact With 777 en Route to Beijing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
    In that in one case the accident didn't happen? That enabled the investigators to interview the flight crew and learn that they were fighting against the rudder.
    Is that the Eastwind incident ?

Comment

• Originally posted by kris View Post
      They have finally landed there after all. Sure, I don't say he was in perfect condition.
      He was in perfect condition after he descended. But requesting vectors to keep going to your destination in the middle of a dare emergency isn't the best judgement I'd say, unless your destination is the closest suitable airport.

This may be true, but I simply don't know for sure.
      Correct, that's the point.

Let me ask you this question. How safe would you feel with this pilot in this condition, vs the condition that he had at 11000ft? Remember, a drunk driver that manages to drive at 150 MPH in the highway dodging other cars and makes it home "safely" was still drunk and it was still not safe. Same here.

By the way:
      Unable to control altitude.
      Unable to control airspeed.
      Unable to control heading.
      Other than that, everything A-OK.
      Don't you love it?

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
      --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

• Originally posted by TeeVee View Post
        what makes you think those functions aren't built into the system? seems kinda strange that boeing, of all folks, would design and patent a system that couldn't do the whole job. but hey, what do i know?
        I really don't see how that could be done. All of the drones have fixed gear!

Comment

• Originally posted by HalcyonDays View Post
          Is that the Eastwind incident ?
          Yup. Eastwind Airlines Flight 517.

The crew experienced unexpected movement of the rudder, causing the airplane to roll to the right. They applied opposite aileron input to keep the plane from rolling over and thirty seconds later the plane righted itself back to leveled flight. As the crew performed the emergency checklist, the plane again rolled over to the right. After another thirty seconds the plane snapped back to leveled flight. The crew declared an emergency and landed safely in Richmond. Investigation of this incident would later help solve two other accidents, United Airlines Flight 585 and USAir Flight 427.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---

Comment

• Originally posted by BoeingBobby View Post
            Aw, come on. You don't really thinK it's that hard, do you?
            The DC-9 has auto-salts.
            The Piper Lance has auto gear (Although it was disabled by an AD when pilots relied to much on it to lower the gear for them and then blamed the failure of the autogear for their wheels-up landing. The famous primary-backup inversion. Reminds me of Asiana blaming the autothrottle in the wrong mode for not maintaining the speed for them).

The gear and flaps extension schedule can be very easily programmed in a Ti-99/4A.

10 LET FLAPS1 = 0
            20 LET FLAPS = 0
            30 LET GEAR1 = 0
            40 LET GEAR = 0
            50 IF SPEED < 220 THEN LET FLAPS = 5
            60 IF SPEED < 200 THEN LET FLAPS = 10 AND LET GEAR = 1
            70 IF SPEED < 180 THEN LET FLAPS = 20
            80 IF SPEED < 160 THEN LET FLAPS = 30
            90 IF GEAR <> GEAR1 THEN LET GEAR1 = GEAR
            100 IF FLAPS <> FLAPS1 THEN LET FLAPS1 = FLAPS
            110 GOTO 50

Comment

• Oh, and your 747 raises the flaps by itself if you are not cautious enough not to overspeed them, no?

Comment

• Hey we have auto STARTS not salts in the 400 and the -8. That is not the same as putting the flaps down, arming the speed brakes, setting the auto brakes and dropping the gear. Maybe they figure they will just land her on her belly at the place of their choosing and not worry about coming in at 165 knots clean and sliding down the asphalt for 12000'. I hope the shuttle landing strip in Florida and Edwards AFB in California are in the database!

Comment

Have you ever heard of the Predator?

(That doesn't mean that there isn't a pilot remotely lowering the landing gear)

Comment

Hey we have auto STARTS not salts in the 400 and the -8.
                    I've said auto-slats in the DC-9. Not auto start in the 747.
                    Ask Vnav. He flies MD-80s.

Comment

Oh, and your 747 raises the flaps by itself if you are not cautious enough not to overspeed them, no?
                      Sorry Charlie, wrong information! There is a flap blow back system to protect the flaps from 30 to 25 and 25 to 20 but that is it. And your right I see the predators in Afghanistan all the time landing and taking off but they already have the gear down.

Comment

Sorry Charlie, wrong information! There is a flap blow back system to protect the flaps from 30 to 25 and 25 to 20 but that is it. And your right I see the predators in Afghanistan all the time landing and taking off but they already have the gear down.
                        So, your flaps blow back if you overspeed. The MD-80 extends the slats if you are about to stall (and other criteria are met), the Piper Lance self-extended the gear, if you extend the speedbrakes in flight and then add thrust, they retract by themselves. I see that no airplane has currently the capability to configure itself for landing, but it doesn't seem an extraordinary engineering challenge to me. Making this system uninterruptable and tamper-proof (both from malicious activation from outside and from malicious overriding from inside) seems much, much more complicated than that.

Comment

• Originally posted by HalcyonDays View Post
                          Regarding the 737s - presumably you mean the rudder hardovers - in what way was the explanation that was found accidental ?
                          For the longest time, they couldn't figure out the physics of the failure. They had to do a test with super cooling to find the glitch that caused the reversal. And it explained why experienced pilots followed what should be perfect procedure and made the situation worse. As I recall (memory getting fainter), the feedback did not in any way tell the pilots the stabilizer was going the wrong direction. Only the behavior of the plane was a tipoff. But I think the situation went disastrous so fast there wasn't time to deduce from the plane's behavior what was wrong.

Comment

• For what it's worth...

THERE are unconfirmed reports that the black box flight recorder from missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 has been found.

Perth radio station 6PR tweeted the report, citing aviation expert Geoffrey Thomas.

Prime Minister Tony Abbott, who is in China, is giving a pre-planned press conference at 2pm AEST.

Mr Thomas indicated the PM would address the latest MH370 developments then.

Comment

• Bad news, and it's official:
                              The Chief Coordinator of the Joint Agency Coordination Centre, Air Chief Marshal Angus Houston (Ret'd), said an initial assessment of the possible signal detected by a RAAF AP-3C Orion aircraft yesterday afternoon has been determined as not related to an aircraft underwater locator beacon.
                              This is a fragment of the latest press release by the JACC released minutes ago, and there is nothing in the rest of it saying that a black box was found either.

See for yourself:

Comment

• - Boeing already has a patent for an uniterruptible autopilot that can be activated by the crew, by authorities in the ground, or automatically when a given criteria is met, and that will take all control away from the pilots (or criminals aboard) and automatically fly and land at some predetermined or uploaded location.
                                Speaking as a web server administrator I have to say, there's not such thing like a totally secure remote connection. Seen press news the last few days about this "heartbleed" bug in OpenSSL, an encryption library which was considered to be secure in all situations? Now it's not and many web sites were compromised.

A number of web sites going down is one thing, but what if there are thousands of lifes at disposal? With such a remote control system, you have hundreds of targets in the air every day, accessible to pretty much eberybody. They can try as much as they want to find a hole in the security chain and once found, it's a matter of minutes to compromise all other airborne planes, too.

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
                                Additionally:
                                • Add 10 hours of video recording. 10 hours too. I know that some are concerned by the memory capacity needed. But one SD card can store 250 GB (15 dvds of the highest capacity), and you don't need 25 frames per second like in Hollywood films. With 5 I'm happy. And sorry pilots if you are worried for your privacy. We are being videoed everywhere everytime, including many times in our workplace. So why not you?
                                Not many worries about privacy here, as the black box is opened on accidents, only. But what would you want to record? A picture of the pilots' seat? Observation cameras don't prevent crimes and are also easy to compromise (just put something in front of the lens).

Comment

Working...
                                X