No announcement yet.

Malaysia Airlines Loses Contact With 777 en Route to Beijing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On Apr 23rd 2014 the JACC reported that "Western Australia Police have attended a report of material washed ashore 10 kilometres east of Augusta and have secured the material." [...] The ATSB described the material as a sheet of metal with rivets, the material appears interesting enough to take a closer look.
    Aviation Herald - News, Incidents and Accidents in Aviation

It is my understanding that the ATSB description and comment came after looking at some photos of the parts but that they have not examined them in person yet.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
    --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

• Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
      http://avherald.com/h?article=4710c69b&opt=0

It is my understanding that the ATSB description and comment came after looking at some photos of the parts but that they have not examined them in person yet.
      This later reports says the debris is plastic. I doubted that purely metal parts would wash up since they would have sank.

Comment

• Originally posted by Highkeas View Post
        This later reports says the debris is plastic. I doubted that purely metal parts would wash up since they would have sank.
        http://blogs.crikey.com.au/planetalk...-of-australia/

Actually they would have sunk!

Comment

• The Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATSB) has advised that after examining detailed photographs of material washed ashore 10 kilometres east of Augusta, it is satisfied it is not a lead in relation to the search for missing flight MH370.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
          --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

• So the military did track it but did not put two and two together.

"Oh that blip there ? I dont know what it is but it seems harmless its a green blip not a red one . " Awful .

Comment

• So whats next...? Its been weeks and weeks and no one seems to know where this plane is...no wreckage, no debris, no sightings...nothing....really does seem to have just 'disappeared'

So when it was said that the blips came from the ocean and they thought it was from MH370 and then they said it wasnt...then what was it? I mean, what else could be giving off those signals if it wasnt from a plane with that frequecy?

Comment

• Originally posted by TheKiecker View Post
                So the military did track it but did not put two and two together. (...)
                My question here would be: does the military also employ secondary radar or just primary radar? In other words - was the radar return of MH370 in any way unsual to the military radar observer (i.e. the only unidentified blip on his sceen) or was it just one of many radar returns identifying any number of civilian aircraft? Also, given the military's structure and way of operations, it takes them (as well as anybody else) some time "to put two and two together" if you have to start adding without any prior warning. After all it's not like Malaysia was expecting an attack from anyone in that region.

Comment

• Originally posted by pierpp View Post
                  So whats next...? Its been weeks and weeks and no one seems to know where this plane is...no wreckage, no debris, no sightings...nothing....really does seem to have just 'disappeared'

(...)
                  If I had to venture a guess, I'd say that "Yes, that's it." The plane disappeared because the pilot wanted it to disappear and he seems to have succeeded. Maybe we get lucky and the black boxes are found. But I'd say the next thing we see of MH370 will be a something like a safety instruction card labeled Malaysia Airlines Boeing 777, washed up on some beach in Western Australia.

Comment

• what's next

So far it seems to be just a shoot-from-the-hip approach. Maybe go back to the beginning and start all over with the information available and then find the most probable location instead of just searching blindly. They may have missed it in prior search zones by mistake.

maybe even the plane's location is known, and is withheld because of some agenda, insurance or other reason. But on the question "what next?" it is clear they must start all over. something was missed (apart from the plane that is!)

Comment

• Originally posted by starchyme View Post
                      (...) maybe even the plane's location is known, and is withheld because of some agenda, insurance or other reason. (...)
                      Honestly? Given the level of confusion displayed by the government agencies involved, I highly doubt that they could keep a secret that big

Comment

• Originally posted by Peter Kesternich View Post
                        My question here would be: does the military also employ secondary radar or just primary radar? In other words - was the radar return of MH370 in any way unsual to the military radar observer (i.e. the only unidentified blip on his sceen) or was it just one of many radar returns identifying any number of civilian aircraft? Also, given the military's structure and way of operations, it takes them (as well as anybody else) some time "to put two and two together" if you have to start adding without any prior warning. After all it's not like Malaysia was expecting an attack from anyone in that region.
                        The media report quoted makes it sound like it was just a green blip, no FL # or airline . Wouldnt that in of itself raise red flags ? I find it hard to believe their military doesnt have at least the technology of a FlightAware software. and just watches unknown green dots fly in and out of its country. Come on .

Or the more reasonable explanation is that they knew what that blip was , and did nothing. Nothing while it was going by . And then nothing for weeks later , denying any information .

What a bag of ..... See my sig .

Comment

• Originally posted by TheKiecker View Post
                          The media report quoted makes it sound like it was just a green blip, no FL # or airline . Wouldnt that in of itself raise red flags ? I find it hard to believe their military doesnt have at least the technology of a FlightAware software. and just watches unknown green dots fly in and out of its country. Come on .

Or the more reasonable explanation is that they knew what that blip was , and did nothing. Nothing while it was going by . And then nothing for weeks later , denying any information .

What a bag of ..... See my sig .
                          FlightAware relies on secondary surveillance radar, i.e. transponder, activity. It would be interesting to know how much traffic there is in Southeast Asia which doesn't employ that technology.
                          I'm not sure, why it would be more reasonable to assume that the military knew what that unknown radar return was.
                          Even if they did, was there any reason for the military to assume that something was amiss? Given the geography, for them the flight might as well have been simply returning to Kuala Lumpur (with an electric failure thus no transponder) until it turned right and not left over the Strait of Malacca. In many countries, there is no communication between civilian and military radar.

Comment

• Found today: http://www.cbsnews.com/news/malaysia...irliner-found/

But what's about the Inmarsat handshakes?

Comment

• Originally posted by Timmerich View Post
                              Found today: http://www.cbsnews.com/news/malaysia...irliner-found/

But what's about the Inmarsat handshakes?

Looks like that would be more or less on the same radius line as previously stated by Inmarsat, only heading north instead of heading south. Why not-? I seem to remember that the southern path was chosen as the most likely given the circumstances, which at the time were driven by suspicions that whoever was flying the aircraft wanted to disappear without trace.

Maybe the aircraft has been ditched in the relatively shallow waters outside the Bangladesh coast? That would explain the total absence of debris on the Western Australia coast.

Comment

• At this point, I'm just interested in what global aviation is willing to do not to have to sit through something like this again. Seems like not that much happened after AF447. Do the executives just shrug and say "after all,the drive to the airport blah blah blah". I'm going to be cynical and say next to nothing will come out of this disappearance eithre. They just don't really care about customers all that much.

Comment

Working...
                                X