No announcement yet.

Malaysia Airlines Loses Contact With 777 en Route to Beijing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• While the linked article is crappy, the possibility of a missile destroying MH370 is not as remote as one would think. But if it was a missile, I am thinking more along the lines of Iranair 655 -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iran_Air_Flight_655

Comment

• It is good to know that there are not many shoulder launched missiles that reach 35.000ft-

Comment

• i absolutely hate 'exclusive' puff like that....investigating the fact that the plane may have disintegrated...or might not have done......its like say the people might have die quickly or slowly....they have no idea and its all bollox

Comment

• I am no aviation expert, but I'm a former Navy officer who have sailed extensively those waters. And one thing I can guarantee: that area is packed, and I really mean it, with ships and fishing boats. As a matter of fact that is one of the busiest shipping areas in the world. It would be almost impossible for a big plane ditching or crashing in the water without being spoted by a boat.

Comment

• Originally posted by Peter Kesternich View Post
            While the linked article is crappy, the possibility of a missile destroying MH370 is not as remote as one would think. But if it was a missile, I am thinking more along the lines of Iranair 655 -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iran_Air_Flight_655
            Interesting idea, and it would narrow down the number of perpetrators quite extensively. To be able to reach 35.000 ft we would be looking at a missile-equipped ship, or possibly, if the aircraft got near to a coast, a land based battery of air-to-air missiles. Again, the number of available weapons is limited. It sounds like a scene out of a 'Bond movie. Or a terrible mistake made by a trigger happy seaman or GI..

Comment

• Originally posted by retox View Post
              @Gabriel, the best part of the article you posted:

"In the evening of Mar 9th 2014 local time Malaysia's Transport Ministry reported, that no trace of the missing aircraft has been found at dawn Mar 9th after two days of search. The oil slicks as well as debris found so far are not related to the aircraft. Rumours like other crew establishing contact to the accident flight after radar contact was lost, phone contact to a mobile phone of one the passengers of the missing flight or the aircraft having landed in China or Vietnam, are false."
              The discovery of this "door" or whatever happened after this denial.

Or, at least, it was posted in Av Herald many hours after the denial.

Also note that the part you quoted denies that "trace of the missing aircraft has been found at dawn Mar 9th".
              While the part I quoted says "In the night of Mar 9th 2014 [...] released a photo of a part [...] despite darkness was discovered [...]. Forces will be dispatched to the part after daybreak Mar 10th 2014.

This places the discovery of the part well after "dawn Mar 9th".

And, finally, AvHerald is the most serious news site that I know (or maybe the only serious one). They withheld the information about these parts for many hours, probably to verify the veracity of the information, which, by the way, is limited to what the authorities said and not to whether what they said is correct or not. While "parts were found" and "no parts were found" cannot be both true, "Mr A reported that parts were found" and "Mr B reported that no parts were found" can, and AvHerald will post both statements.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
              --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

• Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
                The discovery of this "door" or whatever happened after this denial.

Or, at least, it was posted in Av Herald many hours after the denial.

Also note that the part you quoted denies that "trace of the missing aircraft has been found at dawn Mar 9th".
                While the part I quoted says "In the night of Mar 9th 2014 [...] released a photo of a part [...] despite darkness was discovered [...]. Forces will be dispatched to the part after daybreak Mar 10th 2014.

This places the discovery of the part well after "dawn Mar 9th".

And, finally, AvHerald is the most serious news site that I know (or maybe the only serious one). They withheld the information about these parts for many hours, probably to verify the veracity of the information, which, by the way, is limited to what the authorities said and not to whether what they said is correct or not. While "parts were found" and "no parts were found" cannot be both true, "Mr A reported that parts were found" and "Mr B reported that no parts were found" can, and AvHerald will post both statements.
                Sorry if that was confusing, I was not refering to the door at all. I posted several hours ago that the photo was clearly not jet-a and that the "pilot who heard mumbling" but did not report it for 24 hours after he was asked for help locating an aircraft sounds like complete BS. I thought I might have sounded like a conspiracy nut but I'm loving that paragraph as it validates my cynicism.

Comment

• Originally posted by andyb99 View Post
                  i absolutely hate 'exclusive' puff like that....investigating the fact that the plane may have disintegrated...or might not have done......its like say the people might have die quickly or slowly....they have no idea and its all bollox
                  EVERYTHING reported so far has been unvetted speculation (including the silly link I posted suggesting it was a missile). All we really know is that a plane disappeared with some identity thieves on board (probably not even related to the cause). I'm not even sure if we can trust the reports of a radar track. Based on that part of the world, we may never hear the real story.

Comment

• Originally posted by retox View Post
                    EVERYTHING reported so far has been unvetted speculation (including the silly link I posted suggesting it was a missile). All we really know is that a plane disappeared with some identity thieves on board (probably not even related to the cause). I'm not even sure if we can trust the reports of a radar track. Based on that part of the world, we may never hear the real story.
                    Well - I'm wondering if you have ever been to this part of the world. It's not as backwards as many people think, and I am pretty confident, that we will hear the real story, and probably sooner than later.

Comment

Well - I'm wondering if you have ever been to this part of the world. It's not as backwards as many people think, and I am pretty confident, that we will hear the real story, and probably sooner than later.
                      ...and considering that Asia's largest airlines all congregate in that area, and all are 777 operators (SQ, TG, VN, MAS, et al), I am sure that everyone is anxious to find answers.

It's just ironic that we have designed planes to always be found - to tell us what went wrong - and in this world, of so much modernity and technology, we can't find the one thing that it seems the entire world is looking for. Technology is so fickle at times.
                      Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

Comment

• I begin to wonder what would happen if an un-announced aircraft approached, say Cambodian or Vietnamese airspace, with no SSR or radio to identify. Adding to that, flying at the "wrong" altitude and with no filed flight plan.
                        Knowing there is an amount of illicit traffic, carrying contraband and drugs crossing the Gulf of Thailand, this being addressed by all nations concerned, would it be totally weird to assume that said aircraft would be shot at if it did not identify itself?

Comment

While the linked article is crappy, the possibility of a missile destroying MH370 is not as remote as one would think. But if it was a missile, I am thinking more along the lines of Iranair 655 -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iran_Air_Flight_655
                          Originally posted by Passion for flying View Post
                          I begin to wonder what would happen if an un-announced aircraft approached, say Cambodian or Vietnamese airspace, with no SSR or radio to identify. Adding to that, flying at the "wrong" altitude and with no filed flight plan.
                          Knowing there is an amount of illicit traffic, carrying contraband and drugs crossing the Gulf of Thailand, this being addressed by all nations concerned, would it be totally weird to assume that said aircraft would be shot at if it did not identify itself?
                          It was my first thought when it was confirmed at the boarder (or closely to it) of Malaysian and Vietnamese boarders.

However, even if this were the case - would we not find any discernible wreckage at all? As was stated, the area is frequented by many fishing and commercial ships. I am unsure that this would have happened without witnesses, and it would require a cover-up to explain where the aircraft, and passengers went.
                          Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gabriel
                            [EDIT]
                            Okay. it seems that AvHerald is not permitting access to their photos from external sites.
                            First image shows what might be an internal sidewall panel with the window hole.
                            Second image shows a map with the relative locations of the route, the last point of contact, and this part.
                            How they could confirm that the part is definitely made of composite material is beyond me.
                            What could that be? At first glance I thought over-wing exit door but then the 777-200 doesn't have those. It looks square and intact rather than a torn sidewall fragment. Maybe a lavatory part?

Comment

• Originally posted by Passion for flying View Post
                              I begin to wonder what would happen if an un-announced aircraft approached, say Cambodian or Vietnamese airspace, with no SSR or radio to identify. Adding to that, flying at the "wrong" altitude and with no filed flight plan.
                              As far as I know, Cambodia's air defenses and air force are almost non-existent. Vietnam on the other should have a fairly sophisticated air defense and they would most likely scramble a few Su-27s to see what's coming at them.
                              Last edited by Peter Kesternich; 2014-03-09, 21:04.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
                                It looks so. The only info that I have is the image of the tickets that I attached before, which I don't even know if it's true or fake.
                                They were one-way tickets. These were not tourists.

Originally posted by NYTimes
                                More details emerged Sunday about two passengers listed on the manifest using names from an Austrian and an Italian passport reported stolen in Thailand, one in 2012 and the other in 2013. According electronic booking records, both men purchased one-way tickets on Thursday from a travel agency in a shopping mall in the Thai beach resort of Pattaya.
                                One way tickets, purchased together with two stolen passports. This sounds organized and sinister to me.

Comment

Working...
                                X