Malaysia Airlines Loses Contact With 777 en Route to Beijing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by starchyme View Post
    If the latest debris field is it, then it means the aircraft ducked underneath all radards, and then crashed several nm from the last known position. This would be as bizarre as the current specualtions. Hoping this mystery can be solved soon.
    Oceans aren't static and it has been a few days now.

Well, that does look quite far now that I saw the map.

Comment

• Originally posted by xspeedy View Post
      Oceans aren't static and it has been a few days now.

Well, that does look quite far now that I saw the map.
      sorry yes, I meant several "hundred" nm away.

Comment

• Originally posted by fmedina View Post
        What do the experts think, does the debris field in avherald look like jet fuel? I know several pointed out the previous oil slick was not jet a, just from picture. Does this look like it could be it?
        I am not expert, but it doesn't look like jet fuel to me.

To begin with, I would not expect to find a jet fuel slick that is so concentrated, not 3 days after being spilled.
        Then, I don't know if there would be any jet fuel after 3 days. I guess that a thin film of this volatile fluid floating over the water would have evaporated by now.
        Finally, this is not the color I would expect from jet fuel (note: I have never seen jet fuel floating on the water so I really don't know for sure).

Now, what are all those white spots floating on the water? Just crests of waves or solid objects?

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
        --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

• Agree with you, it more looks like one of these algae concentration as we frequently sees in warm seas.

Comment

• One thing I am learning here is how distressfully polluted the Gulf of Thailand and the South China sea have become, so oil slicks and floating 'debris fields' might be a fairly common thing out there. (Remind me not to buy any more Thai shrimp). It won't surprise me if this is another lark.

It's been 6 hours since this debris was reported just 50nm from a major port city. I would expect them to be at the site by now.

Question: why HF? Would MH-370 have been out of VHF range at some point?

Comment

• Sorry, but I have to say that in this day and age of tech, it is easier to locate an iPhone at the bottom of the ocean than a several hundred million dollar aircraft. Why are we using spotter aircraft and vessels in a blanket search to locate wreckage? Isn't that something we did fifty years ago?

Comment

Sorry, but I have to say that in this day and age of tech, it is easier to locate an iPhone at the bottom of the ocean than a several hundred million dollar aircraft. Why are we using spotter aircraft and vessels in a blanket search to locate wreckage? Isn't that something we did fifty years ago?
                And what would you suggest? call an iphone located at 600 feet under the water?
                A Former Airdisaster.Com Forum (senior member)....

Comment

• It's starting to look more like a hijacking!

Comment

Sorry, but I have to say that in this day and age of tech, it is easier to locate an iPhone at the bottom of the ocean than a several hundred million dollar aircraft. Why are we using spotter aircraft and vessels in a blanket search to locate wreckage? Isn't that something we did fifty years ago?
                    I'd love to drop your iPhone at 400kts and 35000ft over the ocean and see how long you take to find it. Especially if it was turned off a while before dropping it.

I am not sure what you have in mind. The plane was under radar surveillance when it disappeared and the wreckage is not near that point. There is no radar track, there was no radio call, there was no ACARS message... What do you expect? To have a satellite following each plane with an IR camera in case it goes "dark"?

If you are going by the fuel range, you now have a circle of several thousand miles of radius with center at the last known position and involving ocean, jungles, mountains, deserts... Not easy to find a plane in these circumstances.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---

Comment

• Search areas as reported via Twitter:

also:

"China has adjusted the operations of orbiting satellites to help in the search of the missing flight MH370."

Comment

• Originally posted by eTang View Post
                        Search areas as reported via Twitter:

also:

"China has adjusted the operations of orbiting satellites to help in the search of the missing flight MH370."

https://twitter.com/XHNews/statuses/443017767047139329
                        They know something that we don't. What's all those search area so far NW in the Malacca Starit, opposite to the direction for flight and from where the contact was lost?

Comment

• That was the exact pondering I had in an earlier post when I first saw mention of the Malacca Strait searching. They seem to now be going even further NW.

Comment

• CNN reporting tickets linked to stolen passports purchased by Iranian man

Comment

• CNN - According to Thai police officials, an Iranian man by the name of Kazem Ali purchased the tickets for two friends who he said wanted to return home to Europe. While Ali made the initial booking by telephone, either Ali or someone acting on his behalf paid for the tickets in cash, according to police. Rahman said Monday that authorities have reviewed security footage from the airport and said the men who traveled on the stolen passports "are not Asian-looking men."

Considering that these are stolen European passports from non-asian looking men, that would sort of be expected wouldn't it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
                                They know something that we don't. What's all those search area so far NW in the Malacca Starit, opposite to the direction for flight and from where the contact was lost?
                                Honestly? I think they are all guessing as much as we do - and just covering all their bases, in case the plane really turned back and went down in the Strait of Malacca (which I doubt it did, but better be on the safe side...)

Comment

Working...
                                X