Malaysia Airlines Loses Contact With 777 en Route to Beijing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BoeingBobby View Post
    You are assuming that whomever was flying the aircraft stayed at a constant speed. They may very well have varied the speed purposely, gone to LRC, or went balls to the wall. Only the scumbag that did this knows.
    Actually I'm not, which is why I am saying that these intersections will have a circumference of margin for error. But I am assuming a flight level between FL250 and FL 420 and a speed between Vsw and Mmo. So this would get us a series of circles (with probability being a smaller circle) rather than these useless arcs.

Comment

• Another question I thought to ask last night: was there a relief pilot or a deadheading pilot on board?

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan View Post
        Untrue. The SBD transmitter breaker is in the cockpit.
        Here's what I was referring to, but I guess this could be inaccurate:

The Aircraft Communications Addressing and Reporting System has two aspects, Goglia said. The information part of the system was shut down, but not the transmission part. In most planes, the information section can be shut down by hitting cockpit switches in sequence in order to get to a computer screen where an option must be selected using a keypad, said Goglia, an expert on aircraft maintenance.
        That's also something a pilot would know how to do, but that could also be discovered through research, he said.
        But to turn off the other transmission portion of the ACARS, it would be necessary to go to an electronics bay beneath the cockpit. That's something a pilot wouldn't normally know how to do, Goglia said. The Malaysia plane's ACARS transmitter continued to send out blips that were recorded by satellite once an hour
        (AP)

Comment

Another question I thought to ask last night: was there a relief pilot or a deadheading pilot on board?

I have seen no mention of a relief pilot or a dead heading flight crew member.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fear_of_Flying View Post
            Here's what I was referring to, but I guess this could be inaccurate:
            If you read one of my earlier posts, I mention the E&E compartment. If everyone on the aircraft except the perpetrator(s) are dead or unconscious, with the autopilot flying the aircraft a quick jaunt down to the E&E is really not that big of a deal. I have been in ours many times and there is lots of shit down there let me tell you. I am sure with a little research on the internet the breakers for the rest of the ACARS system is not that hard to find.

Comment

But I am assuming a flight level between FL250 and FL 420 and a speed between Vsw and Mmo.

Do you even have an inkling of an idea what the difference in fuel flow at FL250 vs FL420 would be? And what the hell is Vsw?

Comment

• On Slashdot in discussion on how to best find this plane and if Navy can use what was used to locate sunken submarine someone made the following statement:

~quote~
                "Maximum range at maximum load for the 777-200ER is 7,725 nmi (14,310 km, 8,892 mi), a whole lot more than the 2500 nmi circles the media is drawing on the screens."
                ~end quote~

Is that true?
                This person also suggested that it cannot be ruled out yet that plane was refueled.
                What do you think?

Slashdot discussion can be found here:
                US Navy Strategists Have a Long History of Finding the Lost
                Last edited by Jonathan_Creek; 2014-03-17, 01:33. Reason: fixed typo

Comment

Only the scumbag that did this knows.
                  You are assuming that whomever was flying the aircraft was a scumbag. And you must never assume, because when you assume you make an ASS of U and ME!

Comment

• This took me about 15 minutes of digging, have a great read Gabriel!

Comment

Gabriel, Even if they are kinda close it is going to be very deep water.
                      First I thought that the Sunda Trench was very far from the arc shows the possible points of last ping. Then I saw that I was wrong, it was rather the opposite, so I corrected myself.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
                      --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

• Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
                        First I thought that the Sunda Trench was very far from the arc shows the possible points of last ping. Then I saw that I was wrong, it was rather the opposite, so I corrected myself.

I understood your second post. I was just commenting that they only needed to be close to it. It is still going to be pretty damn deep!

Comment

And what the hell is Vsw?
                          A typo?
                          (The w is next to the s)

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
                          --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Do you even have an inkling of an idea what the difference in fuel flow at FL250 vs FL420 would be? And what the hell is Vsw?
                            Yes, I have an inkling. I'm talking about narrowing a search area from an arc spanning 12 countries, not establishing a pointpoint location.

Vsw = the speed at which the stall warning wakes you the f*ck up. I'll give you slack BB cuz I'm sure you've never been there.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jonathan_Creek View Post
                              On Slashdot in discussion on how to best find this plane and if Navy can use what was used to locate sunken submarine someone made the following statement:

~quote~
                              "Maximum range at maximum load for the 777-200ER is 7,725 nmi (14,310 km, 8,892 mi), a whole lot more than the 2500 nmi circles the media is drawing on the screens."
                              ~end quote~

Is that true?
                              This person also suggested that it cannot be ruled out yet that plane was refueled.
                              What do you think?

Slashdot discussion can be found here:
                              US Navy Strategists Have a Long History of Finding the Lost
                              I've worked on buoys that are released automatically at certain depths for location purposes. I've never heard of their use on commercial aircraft.

Comment

• Originally posted by Leftseat86 View Post
                                Gabriel don't even bother dissecting a "news" article from naturalnews.com. That website is a conspiracy theory nutcase hotbed, it's an arm of infowars.com run by that Alex Jones guy. The reporting, if you can call it that, is absolutely ludicrous to the point that it could be considered satire, but unfortunately these people actually believe this crap.

Posting it here is of absolutely no use whatsoever unless you're getting a laugh out of it.
                                NaturalNews' summary did co-inside with what many "speculate" and is no different from the info coming from other blogs. So it was relevant for inclusion with all the other unconfirmed speculations going on. You can say the same for 99% of posts here then. Peace

Comment

Working...
                                X