Carrier Launch Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carrier Launch Question

so MSN had the below picture with an explanation that it was taking off from the carrier, GW Bush. not that i'm an expert or close to it, but i've never seen footage of any aircraft taking off from the mid deck of a carrier. so correct me if i'm wrong or explain. to me this looks like it could've been the result of a bolter.

Looks to me like its a go around. The hook isn't down which could be the reason (hook not working or pilot forgot to lower it ?). It's on full burners for a rapid getaway. Like you say, it's not a takeoff which doesn't happen mid deck.
    Whatever the cause, I can guess at what's going through the pilots mind.....and his underpants for that matter !!
    If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

yup.

Comment

I think this explains it.

Comment

The photo is from Boeing web site http://www.boeingblogs.com/bds/sightings/

Comment

Ah, so it is a launch then. A bit of an optical illusion on the deck angle. On closer examination you can see the puff of steam from the catapult.
            If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

i'm not buying it. i looked at the high res version on the navy's website and unless this bird launched way before the end of the deck, i don't see it as a launch. then again, i'm not a navy pilot.

Comment

Funny thread...

...there seems to be a certain fear here to say that sometimes the media grabs a file photo of an airplane and inserts a caption that might not necessarily be accurate.

I'll be waiting for the final report.
                Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Working...
                X