Virgin Galactic Accident

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Virgin Galactic Accident

Apparently the Virgin Galactic SpaceShip2, was destroyed during a test flight.
    Looks like it exploded in mid air:
    A Former Airdisaster.Com Forum (senior member)....

Virgin Galactic Spaceship Two lost

Horrible news.

Comment

One pilot dead and one parachuted and is in hospital.
      Live, from a grassy knoll somewhere near you.

Comment

AirDisaster.com Forum Member 2004-2008

Originally posted by orangehuggy
        the most dangerous part of a flight is not the take off or landing anymore, its when a flight crew member goes to the toilet

Comment

Is this the first flight fatality of Virgin Group? As I do not recall any Virgin Atlantic, Virgin America, Virgin Australia, etc fatal crashes.

RIP the pilot

Comment

In 2007 three employees were killed on the ground when a tank of nitrous oxide exploded.

Comment

Posted by NBC on twitter:

source tweet: https://twitter.com/NBCNightlyNews/s...938816/photo/1

Comment

Reportedly, the cause was the explosion of the rocket engine.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
                --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Why in the military aviation forum?
                  There is another thread in the aviation safety forum.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
                  --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

It looks like the engine continued on unless that is a smudge or distortion,

I wonder what the bail out routine is for that ship? It looks like there are plenty of surfaces to contact with and I have to wonder if the PF kept it stable allowing his associate to get out by providing the proper angle for safe egress?

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
                      Why in the military aviation forum?
                      There is another thread in the aviation safety forum.
                      I opened this thread first. This is the Military and Space forum. Virgin Galactic is a spaceship.
                      A Former Airdisaster.Com Forum (senior member)....

Comment

Originally posted by AVION1 View Post
                        I opened this thread first. This is the Military and Space forum. Virgin Galactic is a spaceship.
                        Hi AVION1, looking at the time posted, you did post this first. I am sorry I missed it(I usually look at the safety forum and completely forgot about this one).

Mods, what category should this be? It is non-military/civilian/commercial/ aircraft and had an accident(which usually means the safety forum), but also related to space...?

Comment

Originally posted by guamainiac View Post
                          It looks like the engine continued on unless that is a smudge or distortion,

I wonder what the bail out routine is for that ship? It looks like there are plenty of surfaces to contact with and I have to wonder if the PF kept it stable allowing his associate to get out by providing the proper angle for safe egress?
                          In Aviation Week some time ago it was stated that the nose of the vehicle is jettisoned allowing for a manual bail out. I will see if I can find the article.

Since one person remained in the vehicle it is possible that the explosion impaired him sufficiently to prevent his bail out.

One pilot survived so his report may be a big help to the failure investigation.

Comment

Kind of a coin toss since it was an edge of space vehicle being released by a conventional aircraft. In the end it should probably be in the space section but as a commercial venture that would book common passengers some coverage in the safety forum seems appropriate too.

Comment

With SS1 they did everything right, with SS2 the opposite, 4th death of the project.
                              The increase in wieght and length is great between the two projects, but the wingspan is less than a foot apart!
                              "The real CEO of the 787 project is named Potemkin"

Comment

Working...
                              X