MD-80 skidded off runway at LGA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MD-80 skidded off runway at LGA

News reports of an Delta MD-80 that skidded off of the runway at LGA. Airport is closed.

Aviation Herald - News, Incidents and Accidents in Aviation

A runway at New York’s LaGuardia Airport reopened Friday morning, a day after a Delta Air Lines plane skidded off it.

Probably due to cheap composite snow on the runway...
    Be alert! America needs more lerts.

Eric Law

Comment

That's one way to get rid of them.

Comment

Originally posted by elaw View Post
        http://www.avherald.com/h?article=482b659f&opt=0

A runway at New York’s LaGuardia Airport reopened Friday morning, a day after a Delta Air Lines plane skidded off it.

Probably due to cheap composite snow on the runway...
        And don't forget, the DC-9 MD-80 series is fly by wire...
        Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Did the aircraft run off the end of the runway or did it skid off the side of the runway?

Comment

...thinking it went off the side
            Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Interestingly, from the photos avail so far it appears (??) as though the tail cone of the aircraft is missing...

Comment

Larger photo sorry I'm not very good at this lol...

Comment

Originally posted by 3WE View Post
                  ...thinking it went off the side
                  It is off the left side of Runway 13, with the nose hanging over the water, pointed generally northerly...

Comment

That makes more sense, I was wondering why they would put a catch berm that severe at the end.

I remember there have been a few "water landings" there.
                    Live, from a grassy knoll somewhere near you.

Comment

Originally posted by obmot View Post
                      Interestingly, from the photos avail so far it appears (??) as though the tail cone of the aircraft is missing...
                      Tailcone is missing because that's a standard evacuation route on the MD88/MD90 aircraft. Part of the evac drill for the flight attendant at the back is to open the rear door in the cabin and pull the handle that jettisons the cone. If I recall correctly, the MD88 relies on gravity to separate it, the MD90 uses a small charge to "blow" it. Either way, the cone comes off the aircraft and people come out the back.
                      Yet another AD.com convert!

Comment

It is off the left side of Runway 13, with the nose hanging over the water, pointed generally northerly...
                        Wrong!

It's off the right side of Runway 31.

Can you have it any more backwards?

Edit: Whoops, I've got it all backwards!

Comment

ahhh. thanks @maw -

I remember 'back in the day' getting on/off 727s via the rear stairway .. but I hadnt realized that the MD80 series have a rear cone evacuation system

Comment

It does look like he took the berm head in which has to be better than in a wing first skid?
                            Live, from a grassy knoll somewhere near you.

Comment

I remember 'back in the day' getting on/off 727s via the rear stairway .. but I hadnt realized that the MD80 series have a rear cone evacuation system
                              Yes, the 727, BAC1-11 and maybe some others actually had stairs for deplaning from the tail. Indeed D B Cooper used them for parachuting from! Delta's MD88's and 90's however only use them for emergency egress.
                              Yet another AD.com convert!

Comment

Working...
                              X