Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do things happen in 3's

By the way...control surface failure.
    Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Originally posted by 3WE View Post
    http://mashable.com/2015/08/28/new-york-air-show-crash/

By the way...control surface failure.
    That is not control surface failure and the plane will not crash anywhere far from where the failure happened, even if the plane is at 500ft or higher.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
    --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

I'd say it's control surface failure. The control surfaces failed to remain attached to the airplane! Well, okay, the part they were attached to failed to remain attached to the airplane.

BTW although that particular article doesn't say so, others indicate the pilot died. RIP.
      Be alert! America needs more lerts.

Eric Law

Comment

Cheap crackerbox composites? That thing is supposed to be rated for +/- 10g.

Comment

Yeah, maybe they focused a little too much on making the wings hold up to the rated load, and not enough on the tail.

Or, an AA587-type scenario? Or undetected previous damage?

Seems like there are a few possibilities.
          Be alert! America needs more lerts.

Eric Law

Comment

Originally posted by elaw View Post
            I'd say it's control surface failure. The control surfaces failed to remain attached to the airplane! Well, okay, the part they were attached to failed to remain attached to the airplane.
            Then I say it's engine failure.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---

Comment

Originally posted by Evan View Post
              Cheap crackerbox composites? That thing is supposed to be rated for +/- 10g.
              Wow!!! It is the first plane that I know to be rated to +/- 10G.

F-16 pilots have to be very special persons, and have very special training, and very special equipment, to withstand +9G, which is the maximum that the FBW will allow.

Comment

Originally posted by elaw View Post
                Yeah, maybe they focused a little too much on making the wings hold up to the rated load, and not enough on the tail.

Or, an AA587-type scenario? Or undetected previous damage?
                I don't think that the tail boom (part of the fuselage behind the cockpit) would be the weakest link. I suspect some preexisting damage.

By the way, the typical failure mode of a sudden pullup is this:
                - The plane is flying (or diving, or falling) at a very high speed, much faster than the maneuver speed (which menas that you can overstress the wing and the control surfaces before they stall).
                - If you suddenly pull up enough for the plane to achieve a wing AoA where the wing would fail, the wings will never achieve this AoA. That's because that will require enough elevator deflection to overstress the stabilizer too, so the stabilizer will fail as soon as you pull up before the whole plane has time to build AoA.
                - Once the tail failed, the plane will pitch sharply down to negative Gs and negative AoA, and the wings will fail in the downward direction.

Comment

A more reliable news source.... http://nypost.com/2015/08/28/pilot-d...airshow-crash/

I'm sure that you will all have googled this incident yet no one other than Elaw bothers to comment on the fact that an aviation enthusiast died while practicing his display intended to entertain other aviation enthusiasts.

May the pilot Rest In Peace.

Just about every aircraft in this class is rated to +/- 10g. The Extra 200 has an ultimate potential for +23g although obviously it is not rated to that level. The Sukhoi Su 26 is rated at -10/+12g.
                  The aircraft involved in this incident was built in 1998 which may have been a factor in the loss of the tail assembly.
                  Last edited by brianw999; 2015-08-29, 09:11.
                  If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

New York Air Show Crash

A pilot practicing sky-high ­acrobatics for the New York Air Show was killed in a crash Friday ­after the tail snapped off his stunt plane, sending it spiraling to the ground. The crash happened ju…

"A pilot practicing sky-high *acrobatics for the New York Air Show was killed in a crash Friday *after the tail snapped off his stunt plane, sending it spiraling to the ground.
                    The crash happened just after 2 p.m. at Stewart Airport in New Windsor, Orange County, which is hosting the popular event this weekend, the Federal Aviation Administration said.
                    The aviator, Andrew Wright, 53, of Austin, Tex., was performing dramatic ascents and dives in a 1998 Giles G-202 above a small crowd of spectators in preparation for the show.
                    He was on his third or fourth pass when tragedy struck..."
                    This happened a few days ago in New York while he was practicing for the air show. I read through it and realized I had seen him perform at least twice down in Burnet, TX with the latest being earlier this year.
                    It's crazy and amazing to simply watch something fail and nothing can be done.
                    He did put on a good show.
                    RIP Andrew Wright.

[photoid=8025191]
                    [photoid=7117030]

Comment

Working...
                    X