• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TeeVee View Post
    that was my ENTIRE point
    LOL, and I was just being sarcastic.

Comment

Originally posted by 3WE View Post
      ...of course, let's not forget the dead serious issue that these "mini" "Regional" Jets have an extremely good safety record, as compared to a number of other "big iron" airliners.

AND we might also assume (with probably some accuracy) that they are operated by lower time, less experienced pilots, operating at smaller airports with less weather information, smaller runways and much less "PIREP" type information from a steady stream of aircraft at a big airport.
      And.... with much more flights per airframe what also means much more take-offs and landings per hour flown for each pilot. And we know that take off and landing are the most dangerous parts of the trip (other than driving to/from the airport).

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
      --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

as far as "regionals" go, this wasn't so mini. this was one of AA's relatively new E175's. 76 seats and a range far beyond the ERJ line of true regional jets.

gotta say, that although most people are not big fans of these smaller ac's i was very comfortable up in first in a chair that rivaled anything in aa's domestic "1st class" which in the vast majority of their fleet, is just a bigger seat with more legroom. the lav was also astoundingly roomy.
        Except it's not AA, it's Republic Airlines dba American Eagle.

Comment

Originally posted by ATLcrew View Post
          Except it's not AA, it's Republic Airlines dba American Eagle.
          you must be one of those guys that just MUST have the last word and be right about something.

AE is AA as far as everyone but someone in bookkeeping. absolute transparency in booking, customer service, check-in etc etc etc.

as for RPA's does anyone really care? i mean, besides you?

Comment

...as for RPA's does anyone really care? i mean, besides you?
            Oh yeah, it matters.

Pilots with vastly different pay scales, and training, and experience...

...the media makes quite the deal out of it when one crashes.

(On more-obscure fora, I've even seen RJ pilots spitefully razzed for their amazingly low pay scales.)

"I thought I was buying a ticket for my loved ones to fly CONTINENTAL airlines, not Pinnacle? Continental has highly trained pilots, and well maintained equipment! What's Pinnacle? Some second rate outfit that doesn't know that flaps and gear causes drag and that maybe you should add some power and watch your airspeed when at the end of a bad ass duty cycle, and that maybe pulling up aggressively is something you should think twice about when there's a stall warning?"

But, we don't think in those terms when that gnome dude is searching out the lowest fares for us.
            Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

not sure of your point 3Dub. screwing up and pulling up "relentlessly," as some here like to point out, is not limited to regional pilots flying rat jets and turboprops...que AF447.....

the comment about pricing is not true as a rule. i paid $439 for a 403 mile flight--one way--on that "lower cost regional." it was NOT the lowest fare, but I chose not to have a 4 hour layover on the only competitor flying saab 340s

Comment

TeeVee, what was the alternate to the Saab 340?
                Live, from a grassy knoll somewhere near you.

Comment

Originally posted by guamainiac View Post
                  Easy!

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---

Comment

this!

and apparently one cannot change the post title. so maybe we should have a mod fix my TPYO so atlcrew stops havin cows...
                    There are people who indeed can say: WE CAN.

Back on topic. Embraer in my eyes is very new and shiny. The whole manufacturer is only 9 years older than me.
                    Compared to my avatar (est 1916) this is a really brandnew company. But I have heard of them.

Are they so very new that I don't have a chance to recommend something in our simulator section?

PS: Until today, I have never sat in one Embraer. Is it an advantage for passengers, in comparison to the CR9 (which, on my home airport will indeed be replaced by Airbus)?
                    Last edited by LH-B744; 2015-09-03, 01:33. Reason: + my Embraer experience
                    The German long haul is alive, 65 years and still kicking.
                    The Gold Member in the 747 club, 50 years since the first LH 747.
                    And constantly advanced, 744 and 748 /w upper and lower EICAS.
                    This is Lohausen International airport speaking, echo delta delta lima.

Comment

Originally posted by guamainiac View Post
                      the e175. sorry maybe i wasnt clear. the only available options between MIA and TLH are AA direct, and delta witha change in ATL. alternatively, there is silver airways (yeah, the one that landed on a taxiway) out of FLL, which flies the 340

Comment

as for RPA's does anyone really care? i mean, besides you?
                        I think you're absolutely right, people don't care. Where you and I differ is that I think people SHOULD care. I think it should bother you while you're sitting in that nice, big front seat that the guy in the right seat is making less than 30K, while being entrusted with your life. To put it differently, he is paid roughly 40c/hr for your life.

Comment

I think you're absolutely right, people don't care. Where you and I differ is that I think people SHOULD care. I think it should bother you while you're sitting in that nice, big front seat that the guy in the right seat is making less than 30K, while being entrusted with your life. To put it differently, he is paid roughly 40c/hr for your life.
                          More importanltly, what's your PR dept. say about unopened cokes?
                          Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

he is paid roughly 40c/hr for your life.
                            Uh... what? $30K/year works out to about $14.50 an hour based on a 40-hour workweek.

I absolutely don't think those guys are paid enough, but it's not *that* bad.
                            Be alert! America needs more lerts.

Eric Law

Comment

Originally posted by elaw View Post
                              Uh... what? $30K/year works out to about $14.50 an hour based on a 40-hour workweek.

Trust me, it IS that bad, I was one of them not too long ago. Also, pilots don't work 40 hours workweeks, so you'll have to redo your calculations, I'm afraid.

Comment

Originally posted by elaw View Post

They are paid 0.40 / hour for your life, then another 0.40 for the life of the passenger next to you, then another 0.40 for the pax in 12B...

Get the idea?

What he is not saying that taking care of just one life (his own) is the best guarantee that all the rest of the lives aboard will be automatically taken care of. So he is getting 15/hour to take care of his own life.

Moreover, he is getting paid 0.40/ flight hour for the experience and the training (including both the training that happens while flying as the ground training) that will enable him for jobs that are much better paid.

He said: "Trust me, it IS that bad, I was one of them not too long ago."

So what now? He moved away from being an airline pilot, or moved UP becoming a better paid airline pilot, what he would not be had he not been in THAT BAD situation first?

Not to mention that, before becoming a badly paid pilot at USD 14 / hour, he was a PAYING pilot paying at least USD 140 / flight hour, not to mention ground training. At 40K per year, you recover ALL THE MONEY invested in training in just one, or at most 2 years. Not every investment has such a return rate.

Now, don't take me seriously. I don't agree with pilots being underpaid. I am playing devil's advocate. Just to show how "information" can be twisted one way or another.

Saying that one makes "just" 0.40 per hour for your life is badly twisting the reality. I wonder how much does an O'Hare tower ATC controller make per hour per each life that was in his hands during that hour, with an airliner taking-off or landing every 2 minutes.

Comment

Working...
                                X