AF-KLM to resume Tehran flights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AF-KLM to resume Tehran flights

KLM will resume AMS-IKA flights in January 2016 and Air France will follow with CDG-IKA some months later.

Article in French: http://www.lefigaro.fr/flash-eco/201...rs-teheran.php

Have you got any more infos or thoughts?

thoughts? yeah. probably the french want to send help for iran's nuke program.....

Comment

Originally posted by TeeVee View Post
      thoughts? yeah. probably the french want to send help for iran's nuke program.....
      No political talks please.

Comment

Why wouldn't they restart this route? Lufthansa and Austrian have been flying it for years.

Comment

Originally posted by TeeVee View Post
          I heard shawarma is particularly yummy in Tehran this time of year.

Comment

Originally posted by aminc View Post
            No political talks please.
            you asked for thoughts so i gave you mine...

Comment

There is quite a wealthy premium market for AF/KLM to tap into. There are many wealthy Parisian families with links to Iran (ethnically, religiously et al), and as Iranian assets are unfrozen due to easing of sanctions, France and the Netherlands also refuse to be left out of the undoubtedly wealthy links that will be formed between respective nations. Iran is a huge market, just based on O/D and as sanctions ease into a healthier economy - seemingly minute changes in the economy and immigration laws have massive effects on the large Iranian population. Here again, the ME3 provide no discernible advantage to the European carrier (no need for a back-track to DXB), and Iranian carriers are nascent when it comes to these services much less providing better/excelling products compared to their European carriers. Those carriers can clean up here, and LH has been doing it for decades.

A sharp example - European carrier can serve alcohol in flight (once out of Iranian territory). Iranian carrier will not. ME3 can, but are 3rd in length of flight so will have to leverage us based on costs here. This also hands the market over to said European carriers in their Trans-Atlantic services as well because of their Alliance memberships, and their competitive frequent flier programs. Brand loyalty will follow a changing business community that is not willing to backtrack to DXB and willing to pay a slight premium to stay on a better competitor than a locally based carrier. Considering how AF has been hemorrhaging as of late - it can be a cash-cow, or at least develop into one save for massive changes on either side of the route - which the sanctions and easing there of are meant to maintain stability throughout transition, which is as best as AF can hope for right now in a complex and rich market. That is a conversation that is completely devoid of the the more potent market of contractors, business men and women, designers, and financiers that will be coming from the French/Dutch side to shore up businesses with a growing stronger Iran. Kudos to them and best of luck.

Short to medium term, it may be an intelligent move for Iranian carriers to partner with their European counterparts tapping into local markets while said carriers acquire new aircraft and develop/re-develop their images, standards and structures - allowing them to build and plan for the difficult markets of both Europe, and the Americas - capitalizing upon their advantageous geographical locations longer-term. Not alliance memberships, but rather code sharing on select services - and non-duplication of others.

AF or KLM can sure fill an A330 with passengers at Tehran, if W5 is helping bringing you traffic from Ishfahan, Kish Island, and Shiraz.
              Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

Comment

Originally posted by AA 1818 View Post
                AF or KLM can sure fill an A330 with passengers at Tehran, if W5 is helping bringing you traffic from Ishfahan, Kish Island, and Shiraz.
                Sadly, it will be operated by A320. But I hope they will change to A330, it would make sense.

Comment

Originally posted by aminc View Post
                  KLM will resume AMS-IKA flights in January 2016 and Air France will follow with CDG-IKA some months later.

Article in French: http://www.lefigaro.fr/flash-eco/201...rs-teheran.php

Have you got any more infos or thoughts?
                  Hm. Who was the first major airline to continue the Tehran flight plan? >>
                  LH 600, with LH-A346 in use.

In contrast to the Ukraine, I have never seen Iran as a dangerous destination. But this is a point of view that is only available to persons, who know 1, or 2 or 3 families from Persia. And my home airport helps alot. W5 101, with W5-A340 in use.

Niavarani for President (insider).

PS: The 747 is a prototype. And Henryk M. Broder is a prototype. He tried to build a bridge between Judaism and Cairo. My home airport is a bridge. Let's try to build more bridges.
                  A sub-context to Mr Broder: not foreign religions seem to be an enemy, but some religions see enemies in their own religion. A memory of your co-driver in your Volvo-Safari...

Now, you better don't ask me, which religion I prefer of these two. Or, why not.
                  LH 686 is my answer, sadly not in use with LH-B744 today...
                  And there are reasons: Broders country is a country of immigration, in my eyes.

You love contrasts? Well: "Since the onset of the Syrian Civil War, the airport and the road leading to it have been closed intermittently, and all international airlines have ceased flights." (OSDI airport)

Is it me, or are parts of the Islamic world too agressive?

Love all, serve all (HRC, another prototype). They closed their Café in Beirut a few months ago (2013).
                  There are reasons... why Niavarani does not live in Tehran.

And even this seems like a prototype, compared to Tehran or Damascus, which I, since 1978, have never seen as a commercial on German TV:
                  This is allowed and respected again in Germany, should become B744 destination again.
                  Last edited by LH-B744; 2016-01-20, 02:05. Reason: Prototypes (continued)
                  The German long haul is alive, 65 years and still kicking.
                  The Gold Member in the 747 club, 50 years since the first LH 747.
                  And constantly advanced, 744 and 748 /w upper and lower EICAS.
                  This is Lohausen International airport speaking, echo delta delta lima.

Comment

Eurowings have dropped their launch to Tehran from March, but Norwegian are said to be interested in flying there.

Comment

Working...
                    X