No announcement yet.

New livery for Lufthansa... about time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New livery for Lufthansa... about time?

Hey everybody,
    I thought I'd toss this into the ring here. Although I am not a big fan of Lufthansa, I have been wondering how much longer they will keep their plain livery. Since Lufthansa introduced their current paint scheme, some other airlines have changed theirs several times or at last given it a subtle makeover. I don't remember the year when Lufthansa introduced their current paint scheme, but I believe by now it's the oldest one carried by any major European airline.
    Any thoughts?

Originally posted by Peter Kesternich View Post
    Hey everybody,
    I thought I'd toss this into the ring here. Although I am not a big fan of Lufthansa, I have been wondering how much longer they will keep their plain livery. Since Lufthansa introduced their current paint scheme, some other airlines have changed theirs several times or at last given it a subtle makeover. I don't remember the year when Lufthansa introduced their current paint scheme, but I believe by now it's the oldest one carried by any major European airline.
    Any thoughts?
    Why? It's also one of the most successful liveries on my opinion. Why mess with it? I really dislike this trend to paint goofy waves and full-color 3D logos on jets (I think Boeing started it). So many new liveries are godawful. The decision to scrap the AA logo for that flag-ish wallpaper and whatever that eagle-bar thing is supposed to be really messed with my head. Design by committee, obviously. Massimo Vignelli's 1968 modernization of their old logo was a great example of the golden age of the International Style, and it was timeless. They traded that for wallpaper. WTF?

The current Lufthansa logo was designed around that same time by Otl Aicher, who also designed the famous Olympics pictograms—a true modernist visionary. It is still one of the world's most recognizable logos. I shudder to think what a modern crowd-sourced redesign would do to it. The livery is elegant. It sets them apart from circus clown outfits like Scoot.

United's abandonment of Saul Bass' inspired logo is profoundly disappointing. Using Continental's old logo instead is bewildering to me. There's where we need to see a new livery.

I do like the updated Southwest livery. But they had nowhere to go but up.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Kesternich View Post
      Hey everybody,
      Any thoughts?
      Hum. "Not a big fan". Yes, I know, we had one or another discussion.

I am here since 2006 (reading) and since 2008 (RAM). Thus, my avatar has been photographed in 2008 (and built in 1990, and she has retired since a few years).
      All beloved aircraft are "she", it is like that, isn't it.

Your avatar seems to be a little bit older. Let me guess. It really seems like a

NW-DC 9.

But why is a Kölsche Jung fan of NW?

Our Alliance celebrates 20 years in 2017. So, you can count the years back when the first LH-B744s wore the Alliance badge.

Kai Tak was closed in 1998. And here exist jetphotos on our beloved JP platform, which show a LH-B744 at Kai Tak without the Alliance badge.
      -- not necessarily my avatar, although possible.

Only the LH-B748i comes again in traditional LH-B742 colours. I don't know a LH-B744 in LH-B742 colours.

So, the recent LH-B744 colours have been introduced in 1990 (my avatar) or earlier, with the very first LH-B744, which is not my avatar.

I wanna second Evan's opinion. We are not UA, who change colours almost twice a year (a little bit exaggerated).

PS: There is one man with knowledge (*1947), but I assume that he's not a JP member. If he were a member of this platform,
      he should be logged in with "LH-B741", or simply "747". LH is 747 operator since .. 1971, as I assume.

[First commercial 747 operator was Juan T. Trippe, founder of Pan American Airways, in December 1970.]
      Last edited by LH-B744; 2015-10-25, 00:30. Reason: + there is one man with knowledge...
      The German long haul is alive, 65 years and still kicking.
      The Gold Member in the 747 club, 50 years since the first LH 747.
      And constantly advanced, 744 and 748 /w upper and lower EICAS.
      This is Lohausen International airport speaking, echo delta delta lima.

Comment

I don't remember the year when Lufthansa introduced their current paint scheme...
        IIRC, the current livery was adopted in 1988.

IMO, the livery of Lufhansa is a very good example of the work formerly done by the team under supervision of Otl Aicher.

There is no need to modify or change such a timeless livery. It´s simply "perfect".

Even the rather small modifications during 1988 still retained the visions of Aicher.

Even the lettering "Lufthansa" is like a brand.

Here is a short docu about the design of Lufthansa (sadly only in German language) but it´s worth watching I think:

Eine Dokumentation über die Entstehung des Lufthansa Designs, das seit 1962 Bestand hat. Unter der Leitung von Otl Aicher entsteht das neue Erscheinungsbild ...

Regards
        http://www.MD-80.com / MD-80.com on facebook https://www.facebook.com/MD80com / MD-80.com on Twitter: https://twitter.com/MD80com

Comment

In this case - why fix what is not broken?

They have a solid reputation for their product - something that admittedly every brand new c/s is essentially attempting to do as their primary focus of their action - and despite minor problems with the Unions (which major airline has not had those, right?) which is an internal problem and can/will be fixed internally - no major issues, a substantially recognizable, highly marketable, watermark in its own right and in the industry - all bode well for it. Keep it up, until you have to change it. No need to spend money improving something that is already essentially great - especially when the changes needed and money spent will be on improving what is inside the planes - not what is outside of them.

I'll even offer this - imagine changing it - to what? What is going to be more cost effective than a Euro-White fuselage and a light gray stomach to hide the dirt/grime? It's actually genius how efficient it is. Perfekte, nicht wahr?
          Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

Comment

Originally posted by IberiaMD-87 View Post
            IIRC, the current livery was adopted in 1988.

IMO, the livery of Lufhansa is a very good example of the work formerly done by the team under supervision of Otl Aicher.

There is no need to modify or change such a timeless livery. It´s simply "perfect".

Even the rather small modifications during 1988 still retained the visions of Aicher.

Even the lettering "Lufthansa" is like a brand.

Here is a short docu about the design of Lufthansa (sadly only in German language) but it´s worth watching I think:

Eine Dokumentation über die Entstehung des Lufthansa Designs, das seit 1962 Bestand hat. Unter der Leitung von Otl Aicher entsteht das neue Erscheinungsbild ...

Regards
            And you are sure you operate the appropriate nickname?! Not something with LH in the beginning? But probably, I know what you think. Why should we give away a brilliant nickname so that an idiot is able to misuse it. Exactly this is the reason why I'll stay with this avatar.

Hm. LH and their 747s have developed. The LH 747 livery is creative due to some unimportant events, e.g. the world soccer championships 2014...
            (very unimportant, and who still today knows the winner... )

And this could be my new avatar, but then I'll have to change my name, and this won't happen, as I mentioned:
            A very good photo of a 747, in my eyes one of the best. B748i, in 1974 livery.

Comment

LH livery refresh either needs a full white fuselage or just white engines on current livery.

Comment

Originally posted by LUNN View Post
                LH livery refresh either needs a full white fuselage or just white engines on current livery.
                Let me say that in your words, "full white". I wonder why Brian has not written an answer. He is always concerned with gender studies, or mastodons
                (who on earth has invented that topic? )
                or equality between religions. He in fact was the one who proposed that KLM should avoid the cross on the KL-B744 tail fins, due to
                equality between religions. What would you say?

The last time that this rather nasty little 747 topic was discussed, I've said that a cross has nothing to do with religion, e.g. the national flag of Switzerland. Neither a KL-B744 nor a LX-A343 should fly without the cross on the tailfin. And both airlines are good partners on my home airport.
                [Is it allowed that I feel relieved because my avatar does not show a cross on her tailfin?...]

Back on topic. Ok, the LH-B748i 1974 retro livery shows grey engines. Have you ever seen the original 1974 LH-B747 livery? Back then, the engines were chrome.
                My avatar is quite white, imho. So, I don't know why they haven't chosen chrome again.

But white? She is almost 50% white, have a look, with daylight:

Almost 50% white, a B748i.*
                *Commented web links are allowed, aren't they. At least as far as they don't leave the jp platform.

Btw, AZ-B747s were almost 100% nightblue, which is also very cool.
                White is boring. I'd never buy a white car!
                --
                Last edited by LH-B744; 2016-02-19, 23:06. Reason: avoid lengthy contributions..

Comment

Car colours, inspired by...

The only exception would be a bicolor solution: belly and engines in nightblue, and the upper half in white, as shown in the famous jp banner (?!). But such cars don't come out of the factory. That's a paint job you have to order.
                  Are there liveries which inspire our car colours?

I think my avatar can't be that very bad. I still like it after all those years. With a little bit more chrome, it would be perfect.
                  Old school.

Comment

Originally posted by LH-B744 View Post
                    The only exception would be a bicolor solution: belly and engines in nightblue, and the upper half in white, as shown in the famous jp banner (?!). But such cars don't come out of the factory. That's a paint job you have to order.
                    Are there liveries which inspire our car colours?

I think my avatar can't be that very bad. I still like it after all those years. With a little bit more chrome, it would be perfect.
                    Old school.
                    The only thing better than dark, or 'midnight' blue (a la, BA, DL, et al...) would be a lighter gray. The color would literally be lighter on the fuselage; saving weight, and also will provide a greater visual concept of 'flying'. The saving grace of the 'midnight blue' concept is that it would tie in well to the tail's color, however, that specific sum design of the tail (the dark blue against yellow, with crane) provide a watermark for service, safety and reliability. It's an effective branding image itself, for brochures, tags, and icons that can work on it's own. The light gray is beautiful, in that it hides dirt/grime/tar well and, is light enough to be cost effective, and furthers the concept of 'flight' when moving. Looks great, clean, and efficient.

Comment

I have to agree that Lufthansa's livery is pretty timeless, in the same way that American's old livery was. When AA got rid of the polished metal and simple 'American', I was absolutely gutted. I initially thought the new livery was awful by comparison, until I saw it in person. But actually now I think they did pretty well. The new livery is stunning, the more I see it the more I like it.

What I'm trying to say is that although it's timeless and they'd have a job to top it, I feel that new doesn't have to necessarily equal bad. They could make some minor modifications to it and still retain the image.

Comment

Originally posted by TCASAlert View Post
                        I have to agree that Lufthansa's livery is pretty timeless, in the same way that American's old livery was. When AA got rid of the polished metal and simple 'American', I was absolutely gutted. I initially thought the new livery was awful by comparison, until I saw it in person. But actually now I think they did pretty well. The new livery is stunning, the more I see it the more I like it.
                        I concur with you wholly here. At first, I found it lesser than the past c/s, yet now, it has thoroughly grown on me. Logically, though, the change was necessary as AA moved to aircraft that were incapable of supporting the 'chrome' look, and whether that was the primary reason it was done (as opposed to the emergence from bankruptcy, or the then impending merger with US) - there were logical bases for the change.

Originally posted by TCASAlert View Post
                        What I'm trying to say is that although it's timeless and they'd have a job to top it, I feel that new doesn't have to necessarily equal bad. They could make some minor modifications to it and still retain the image.
                        I agree here too, however - unlike with the AA example above, there is little need for said change at this time (or, in the upcoming future - hopefully). European mergers rarely follow the U.S. style, and more often follow the route of AF/KLM, BA/IB, and most notably - LH's past acquisitions. Sure, an update would be great - perhaps more of a focus on the tail logo, a slight change in the ratios of colors on the aircraft, and perhaps a new font - but then again - if it's not broke, why fix it?

Case in point, LH subsidy 'Austrian' recently reverted from the previously announced "my Austrian" title change. It may have been a seemingly necessary prior to implementation, but it ultimately served to cheapen the brand (at least from a public perspective, and perhaps that hit a little close to home as Austrian tries to find its footing in both the LH portfolio, and against strong competition from both the East and the West). The brand update was likely planned to showcase a change in business focus - that said, that exterior change does come at a cost. There is a risk, that it will backfire. It's not insurmountable, but still, further proof to the idea that if it ain't broke...

Comment

Working...
                        X