Name:	CaNeOGrWYAAM7dP.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	1044787

1 pax missing

Aviation Herald - News, Incidents and Accidents in Aviation
    AirDisaster.com Forum Member 2004-2008

Originally posted by orangehuggy
    the most dangerous part of a flight is not the take off or landing anymore, its when a flight crew member goes to the toilet

Wow. Nobody is speculating? I say bong.

Comment

Originally posted by xspeedy View Post
      Wow. Nobody is speculating? I say bong.
      Appears to be a bomb which has gone off too soon (thankfully). Flight was delayed for one hour, could have been set to go off at crusing altitude?

the most dangerous part of a flight is not the take off or landing anymore, its when a flight crew member goes to the toilet

Comment

[blue text on] Crappy composite airbus, you wouldn't see a boeing land with a hole in its side! [blue text off]

Seriously - Awesome that a plane could withstand an explosion that caused this damage and land safely, even if it wasn't at FL330. I can't remember many other aircraft of ANY type that have survived an explosion like this - sure there was the Aloha flight with 6 rows of roof missing but that wasn't an explosion.

VAZ

Comment

Originally posted by vaztr View Post
          [blue text on] Crappy composite airbus, you wouldn't see a boeing land with a hole in its side! [blue text off]

Seriously - Awesome that a plane could withstand an explosion that caused this damage and land safely, even if it wasn't at FL330. I can't remember many other aircraft of ANY type that have survived an explosion like this - sure there was the Aloha flight with 6 rows of roof missing but that wasn't an explosion.

VAZ
          Off the top of my head, TWA 840 in 1986 appears to be almost identical to this.

Comment

Looks like most of the energy was directed outward and not down, thank god. People looking to destroy airplanes tend to sit near the fuel tanks.

Comment

Originally posted by James Bond View Post
              Off the top of my head, TWA 840 in 1986 appears to be almost identical to this.
              True. I had forgotten of that one. Good ole Aluminum.

Trans World Airlines Flight 840 was a regularly scheduled flight from Los Angeles to Cairo via New York City, Rome, and Athens. The flight originated in Los Angeles on a Boeing 747 and transferred to a Boeing 727 in Rome for the remainder of the flight. About 20 minutes before landing in Athens, a bomb hidden underneath seat 10F was detonated on the aircraft while it was over Argos, Greece, blasting a hole in the plane's starboard side. Four American passengers, including an eight-month-old infant, were ejected through the hole to their deaths below. Seven others on the aircraft were injured by shrapnel as the cabin suffered a rapid decompression. The remaining 110 passengers survived the incident as pilot Richard "Pete" Petersen made an emergency landing.[4]The bodies of three of the four victims were later recovered from a meadow near Argos; the fourth was found in the sea.
              A group calling itself the "Arab Revolutionary Cells" claimed responsibility, saying it was committed because of "American imperialism" and clashes with Libya in the Gulf of Sidra the week before.[5] Investigators concluded that the bomb contained one pound of plastic explosive. It is suspected it had been placed under the seat cushion on a previous journey by a Lebanese woman (later arrested, never convicted) who worked for the Abu Nidal Organisation, which was opposed to the peace process.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
              --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

[blue text on]there was the Aloha flight with 6 rows of roof missing but that wasn't an explosion.
                Of course it was an explosion. Of a totally different kind, but an explosion anyway.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
                --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Blue font acknowledged.

Despite a busted tail* I am becoming increasingly impressed with how these fusilages hold up.

A couple of short landings and Sully surfing and largely in tact cabins. Seems like other incidents (including on board explosions) have usually have much more broken aircraft.

*Yes, the busted tail comment brushes over numerous nuances.
                  Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Don't forget this:

Aviation Herald - News, Incidents and Accidents in Aviation

Comment

Also Qantus Flight 30 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qantas_Flight_30)
                      That one was caused by an oxygen tank exploding, but the hole was much much lower than on this flight, suggesting definitely something in the cabin area.

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
                        Good ole Aluminum.
                        You guys crack me up. As if the A320 was just molded from plastic... The A320 uses about 10% composites by weight, as opposed to the A350 or the B787 which both use about 52%. That hole is blasted through aluminum my friends.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan View Post
                          You guys crack me up. As if the A320 was just molded from plastic... The A320 uses about 10% composites by weight, as opposed to the A350 or the B787 which both use about 52%. That hole is blasted through aluminum my friends.
                          Because you think in black and white and have a blind love of newness, you cannot comprehend the fuzzy, gray-area concept that the use of composites might have structural implications...
                          Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Originally posted by 3WE View Post
                            The fact that this damage did not involve composite structures goes to show you that the use of composites does not have structural implications in areas where they are not used...
                            Fixed. And very black and white.

Comment

"It was my first bomb; I hope it will be the last,'' Serbian PIC Vlatko Vodopivec said.

Welcome aboard Daallo Airlines.

Comment

Working...
                              X