Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Livery confusion. What is wrong with this pic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Livery confusion. What is wrong with this pic?

I happen to see this while walking out of the Phoenix airport on Friday. I did a double take as I walked by. I haven't seen America West livery in quite a while. Anybody know why this would be? I'm guessing they moth balled the plane after the US Air merger, then brought it back after the AA merger.

EDIT: I noticed on jetphotos.net that this plane has also showed up in same colors but with US Air log in the front (instead of the AA logo)

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2895 - Copy.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	1.47 MB
ID:	1044814

One of the retro planes that US Airways, and now American Airlines has painted up. There are also TWA, AirCal, PSA, and more.

Doug

Comment

Oh, cool. Thanks.

Comment

yes cuz nostalgic causes are a great way to spend money. and they certainly lower the price of tickets while raising profits for the shareholders!

Comment

Originally posted by TeeVee View Post
          yes cuz nostalgic causes are a great way to spend money. and they certainly lower the price of tickets while raising profits for the shareholders!
          ...and helps customer service.

Great comments.

I had to think a minute- it does work as free advertising...you see, the livery buffs get their panties in a tizzie as they work to catch and photograph these things and then brag about it on obscure internet forums...it's small, but it's publicity. And nostalgic folks (this would include me) sit back and thing, wow, that's so nice of American Airlines to honor all the other companies they've bought up and erased from the skies (and erased from a number of hubs)...I sure would like to fly on that TWA-liveried plane! Do they have Ozark Airlines?

...as a certain candidate for El Presidente (and lots of pop music stars) are showing us- ANY publicity is good publicity.
          Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

...and a great treat for planespotters.

The livery is awesome, but the "American" titles look weird on it. I loved the old jazzy red AMERICA WEST font, and would have loved if they wrote AMERICAN in the same way. But I understand they can't due to branding blah blah blah...

Comment

I'm not so sure it is that big of a deal. They have to get painted in some livery anyway. And how often to they repaint air craft?

Comment

[QUOTE=UncleFire;639267]............. I haven't seen American West livery in quite a while. .................. [;quote]

That would be America West.
                I used to fly them quite often, and before that I flew Bonanza and Hughes Air West airlines that were merged into America West.

Comment

That plane has alluded me so far. I've gotten pics of the PSA retro (N742PS), the Allegheny (N745VJ) and actually the America West old-style retro (N828AW) luckily, because AA has since repainted it into the new AA colors, thereby dropping the old-school HP retro jet. I need this one (N838AW) and the Piedmont retro (N744P). I especially want to get the Piedmont, since, unlike America West and PSA, I've actually flown on Piedmont (3/23/76, CLT-FAY-ORF on a 732).

Slightly related, I've gotten all 3 of the AA 738 retros (N915NN-TWA, N916NN-Reno Air and N917NN-Air Cal), but only from a distance. I do need the Astrojet retro 738 (N951AA). Having the reg #s helps, as I can track them on FlightAware and/or FlightRadar24.

Comment

[QUOTE=Highkeas;639387]
                    Originally posted by UncleFire View Post
                    ............. I haven't seen American West livery in quite a while. .................. [;quote]

That would be America West.
                    I used to fly them quite often, and before that I flew Bonanza and Hughes Air West airlines that were merged into America West.
                    ooops-- typo. I used to fly HP quite a bit as well (I live in Phoenix).

Comment

Working...
                    X